PDA

View Full Version : opinons wanted

stevel3
22-01-2011, 08:20 AM
any bad points to either of these boats

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9834143

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9678359

I am still looking for a nice runabout but have had to go up a little on price to get what I want, either of these would fit the bill, Steve.

BGG
22-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Initial thought without comparing the boats is to go for the 4 stroke.

stevel3
22-01-2011, 09:45 AM
thanks, are the 75 honda 4 strokes a good engine, compared to say either a 75 or 90 Merc 2 stroke.

Smithy
22-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Chalk and cheese. Those 3 cyl 2 stroke Merc/Mariners are notoriously thirsty and are always doing black boxes and stators etc.

Jarrah Jack
22-01-2011, 11:23 AM
The trailcraft are a much better boat than the savage IMHO. As said thew Honda 75 would offer heaps more range than the 2 stroke. As Smithy said chalk and cheese between both rigs.

oldie
22-01-2011, 11:35 AM
compare stability between the 2 makes thats chalk and cheese

stevel3
22-01-2011, 11:37 AM
when you say better do you mean build quality or options, and by range you mean more hours per litre from the Honda compared to the Merc. The merc is a fuel injected 2 stroke though. Thanks for the input much appreciated, I now know we want a runabout style boat around the 4.75 to 5 metre with at least a 70 to 75 outboard, just need to find the one.

oldie
22-01-2011, 11:44 AM
the merc is oil injected not fuel injected. check the Honda is fuel injected as the carbi 4 strokes definitely not as nice as EFI.

stevel3
22-01-2011, 11:59 AM
thanks, I was just going off what it said in the add about the Merc being fuel injected. The Honda is an 06 model and from info on the net they are fuel injected, please correct me if I am wrong as I have arranged to go to Toowoomba tomorrow to have a look, thanks Steve.

stevel3
22-01-2011, 01:26 PM
just heard back from the owner and the motor is the carby version, bit dissapointing as I was hoping it was efi. Is the carby Honda still a better motor than the 2 stroke Mercs.

Jarrah Jack
22-01-2011, 02:55 PM
By range I meant the fuel consumption of the Honda will be about twice as good as 2 stroke. The carbi Honda will still be much better and easier to service yourself if you want to.

stevel3
22-01-2011, 03:27 PM
I had a look online and found a bit of info onthe Honda, they are based on the same engine as in the Civic, but the fuel system is more like from the bike side of things being one carby for each cylinder. I have been told by a few people now that the Trailcraft boat is the better option over a Savage, Quintrex or simular, as they are a plate design and much more robust and well made. Going up the range tomorrow to have a look at it, hopefully it checks out good. Are there any things I should be looking out for either with the hull or the motor, cheers Steve.

La Vida
22-01-2011, 04:02 PM
I had a look online and found a bit of info onthe Honda, they are based on the same engine as in the Civic, but the fuel system is more like from the bike side of things being one carby for each cylinder. I have been told by a few people now that the Trailcraft boat is the better option over a Savage, Quintrex or simular, as they are a plate design and much more robust and well made. Going up the range tomorrow to have a look at it, hopefully it checks out good. Are there any things I should be looking out for either with the hull or the motor, cheers Steve.

Hi Stevel3, The trailcraft with the honda, will be a better option all day long, Plate hull and the honda will be good for at least 2500 hrs plus if you servuce and look after it. doesn't matter how you are going to use the boat it will still be a better alternative. Likewise the trailcraft will be abetter investment for long term and even the short term. it will depreciate less and give you less hassells and hence the cost of ownership will be less

stevel3
22-01-2011, 04:24 PM
the only concern I have now is that the Honda isn't efi but the carby version, from what I can gather they are still a good motor to have.

oldie
22-01-2011, 06:17 PM
still a 4 stroke so quieter and better fuel economy EFI is better but "beggars cant be choosers" when buying used.

how many adults will you have fishing at any one time? 2-3 on one side of the trail craft will make you shiver a little they have the higher floor level due to the self draining deck, yes they are plate and built tough but the floor design does compromise stability, I've done time in the 530 profish and was real disappointed by this, but they are a nice looking boat good high front, go have a look they look a big boat for the money. The Savage hull is still a good solid boat thats for sure don't write it off till you see the Trailer Craft.

A Famous Ozzie bushman legend swears by the Trail Craft R.I.P Malcom Douglass

stevel3
22-01-2011, 08:15 PM
will mostly only be the 2 of us, sometimes only me and occasionally there will be 4 of us. I will know know pretty much the moment I see it if it is the one. I have had a look at a couple of other boats which haven't had the special something that grabs me, hopefully this one will, tomorrow will tell.

gofishin
22-01-2011, 09:32 PM
still a 4 stroke so quieter and better fuel economy EFI is better but "beggars cant be choosers" when buying used...
... The Savage hull is still a good solid boat thats for sure don't write it off till you see the Trailer Craft... Oldie has hit the nail there.

That model Savage has a GRP front deck, so they look good and they were finished pretty well too. That era 75 Honda is a de-rated 90hp. Very heavy for its hp (note the foil), but a good solid reliable donk (the 90 was near bulletproof if you listen to the experts). The Trailcrafts are a big boat, so the weight shouldn't be too much of a problem. 2 up she will be fine, still OK with 4 but she will definitely be no sprinter.

Happy buying!

Axl
22-01-2011, 11:54 PM
any bad points to either of these boats

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9834143

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=9678359

I am still looking for a nice runabout but have had to go up a little on price to get what I want, either of these would fit the bill, Steve.

stevel3 you have not stated what you will be doing with the boat will it be used for cruising, fishing,sking etc.

An alloy runabout style boat in Moreton Bay can be very bumpy if the bay turns nasty. Sitting up the front you will be pounded.

C/C's are a better option in the chop as you sit mid ship and are much better to fish out off IMO.

I brought a 5m alloy C/C with a 2 stroke 60h/p merc last year brand new and fitted it out for around that price.

stevel3
23-01-2011, 06:29 AM
Oldie has hit the nail there.

That model Savage has a GRP front deck, so they look good and they were finished pretty well too. That era 75 Honda is a de-rated 90hp. Very heavy for its hp (note the foil), but a good solid reliable donk (the 90 was near bulletproof if you listen to the experts). The Trailcrafts are a big boat, so the weight shouldn't be too much of a problem. 2 up she will be fine, still OK with 4 but she will definitely be no sprinter.

Happy buying!

when you say its a de rated 90 can it be changed up to a 90 again, or would it be very costly, cheers Steve. ps I have also seen a lot of these sized boats with 60 four strokes on them so I thought I should be right with a 75.

stevel3
23-01-2011, 06:41 AM
stevel3 you have not stated what you will be doing with the boat will it be used for cruising, fishing,sking etc.

An alloy runabout style boat in Moreton Bay can be very bumpy if the bay turns nasty. Sitting up the front you will be pounded.

C/C's are a better option in the chop as you sit mid ship and are much better to fish out off IMO.

I brought a 5m alloy C/C with a 2 stroke 60h/p merc last year brand new and fitted it out for around that price.

the boat will be mainly used for fishing around the bay and day trips around the broadwater. The wife doesnt like the centre console layout and the seating is usually not as good in them compared to the runabouts. Our last boat was a 3.75 edge tracker with a 25 Mariner, so I think the ride would be fine in the Trailcraft compared to it. We are fair weather boaties and dont like going out in rough or windy conditions.

stevel3
23-01-2011, 07:52 AM
after talikng to bloke again this morning he now tells me that he found a compliance plate on the motor and its a 2000 model. I am not going up today to look until I find out some info on the difference between what I though was 2006 motor to a 2000 motor, any help here would be great. Might have a look at the Savage today instead.

oldie
23-01-2011, 12:48 PM
after talikng to bloke again this morning he now tells me that he found a compliance plate on the motor and its a 2000 model. I am not going up today to look until I find out some info on the difference between what I though was 2006 motor to a 2000 motor, any help here would be great. Might have a look at the Savage today instead.

the old "sorry motor is 2000 model not 2006 as stated" trick, check that savage am sure you'll be a fan if its been cared for and maintained

stevel3
23-01-2011, 04:08 PM
went for a drive to Toowoomba to see the Trailcraft today, very nice boat and the motor sounds good but being 11 years old doesnt suit to well with me, ohwell keep looking I suppose. The person who owns the Savage didn't answer their phone today.

oldie
23-01-2011, 04:14 PM
went for a drive to Toowoomba to see the Trailcraft today, very nice boat and the motor sounds good but being 11 years old doesnt suit to well with me, ohwell keep looking I suppose. The person who owns the Savage didn't answer their phone today.

is the trail craft hull year 2000mod? pretty sure there s same hull and later model down here around the goldy for sales for similar money but 06 or so yr model if i find the link ill post it.

stevel3
23-01-2011, 04:26 PM
thanks, I couldnt find a build date on the boat, it has a compliance plate but only has the max hp and model number. On the rego form it states its a 2006 model. The trailer is a 2006, it is the best trailer I have seen made from I beam instead of channel. I rang the bloke who owned it before this fellow and he changed the engine. When he bought it, it had a 06 model 60hp 4 stroke but he said the boat was very under powered with it. He sold the 60 and put the 75 on it and reckons it transformed the boat, pity he didnt fit a later year one.

Axl
23-01-2011, 06:52 PM
the boat will be mainly used for fishing around the bay and day trips around the broadwater. The wife doesnt like the centre console layout and the seating is usually not as good in them compared to the runabouts. Our last boat was a 3.75 edge tracker with a 25 Mariner, so I think the ride would be fine in the Trailcraft compared to it. We are fair weather boaties and dont like going out in rough or windy conditions.

Thats fair enough mate she who must be obeyed must be obeyed.

C/C's arent for cruising the Broadwater although im sure many do and if you pick your days on the Bay you'll have no dramas.

Happy hunting.

Camhawk88
24-01-2011, 02:39 PM
MAte I recently sold my old girl with a 95 model 75hp Honda and until the day I sold it I had no issues taking it out 40nm to the reef. A 10 yr (or 15 in my case) old 4stk is nothing to get worried about particularly against an older Merc 2 banger.

thelump
25-01-2011, 08:20 AM
thanks, I couldnt find a build date on the boat, it has a compliance plate but only has the max hp and model number. On the rego form it states its a 2006 model. The trailer is a 2006, it is the best trailer I have seen made from I beam instead of channel. I rang the bloke who owned it before this fellow and he changed the engine. When he bought it, it had a 06 model 60hp 4 stroke but he said the boat was very under powered with it. He sold the 60 and put the 75 on it and reckons it transformed the boat, pity he didnt fit a later year one.

Mate I think the last digits on the model number is the year of manufacture.

stevel3
25-01-2011, 05:21 PM
thanks but I have decided not to go ahead with the Trailcraft, I have lost confidense in it, and the owner of the Savage wont answer his phone so maybe its sold. I will just have to keep looking, something will turn up sooner or later in my price range