PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Trailers - Brisbane/Gold Coast

rat_catcher
22-01-2011, 07:49 AM
I MAY be getting close to buying another boat, but it does not have a trailer. It is within legally trailerable dimensions, but is quite heavy so I don't have much room to move to keep it all under 3.5 tonnes.

Thus the reason to look at alloy trailers.

Anybody got any tips on who to speak with in Brisbane or the Gold Coast to have an alloy trailer made?

I want something that is good quality and I want to use a builder with experience.

Also the boat is not a 'production' model, so the builder would have to do some extra work figuring out design and configuration to fit this specific hull.

Ideas?

rat_catcher
22-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Oh and it is a monohull if that helps.

Alchemy
22-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Give Origin Boats a call. There are a couple of pics on their web-site of my trailer which only weighs in at 570kg but has a gvm 3500kg. Here is a link to it as well http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=166598&highlight=trailer

It is built to take up to an 8m boat, mine is 7.5m.

Smithy
22-01-2011, 09:53 AM
I think I know what you are toying with!

What about getting it made as a gooseneck?

There is bloke here on the Sunshine Coast in Kayleigh Dve who does custom stuff. He built Steve Evens from Solas's trailer. There'd always be something here for him to copy!

rat_catcher
22-01-2011, 10:00 AM
I think I know what you are toying with!
Rob....yep I am sure you do! ;D

The reason I said 'may' be purchasing is because it got caught up in the Brisbane flooding and has some damage. We are just trying to ascertain to what level that damage is before we pull the trigger.

I don't want to say too much on here as we are negotiating, if you know what I mean and I don't want to tip my hand.

rat_catcher
22-01-2011, 10:01 AM
There is bloke here on the Sunshine Coast in Kayleigh Dve who does custom stuff. He built Steve Evens from Solas's trailer. There'd always be something here for him to copy!
Understood and thanks for the info. Could be a good option.

rat_catcher
22-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Give Origin Boats a call.
Thanks Alchemy. Yes I was aware of Origin as I was closely following your build. This boat is fibreglass though, which I know has different requirements for support vs a plate alloy boat, so not sure how much experience Origin might have in this area. They are definitely on the list to call though when the time is right.

rat_catcher
22-01-2011, 10:06 AM
What about getting it made as a gooseneck?
I need to tow it with my Landcruiser, so not sure this will work.

rat_catcher
22-01-2011, 10:10 AM
There is bloke here on the Sunshine Coast in Kayleigh Dve who does custom stuff.

I just did a search and found "Thommo's Camper Trailer Sales and Hire" on Kayleigh Dr in Buderim. Is this the one?

http://www.thommoscampers.com.au/

Smithy
22-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Scott,

it isn't them.

Never investigated this guy but I think he is the guy Steve Evans was talking about when I was talking to him about his alloy trailer. He builds all sorts of alloy trailers like Bobcat and Dingo trailers etc. so has a good feel for it and has certainly done some boat trailers.

Rod's Engineering/Lifetime Trailers (http://www.yellowpages.com.au/qld/maroochydore/rods-engineering-lifetime-trailers-12102911-listing.html?context=businessTypeSearch&referredBy=YOL)
Factory 4/ 12 Kayleigh Drv, Maroochydore QLD 4558 - get directions (http://www.yellowpages.com.au/app/redirect?pt=md&productId=314770976&productVersion=2&webSite=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.whereis.com%2FQLD%2FMaroo chydore%2F12-Kayleigh-Drv&context=businessTypeSearch&referredBy=YOL&eventType=getDirections)
ph: (07) 5443 4655

So did they take it home and it wasn't at the Gold Coast when the floods were on?

TREVELLY
22-01-2011, 08:25 PM
There's always a fully rollered Dunbier alloy trailer they are good too a 7.5m boat.

I have one under a 6.25 noble and it's a nice unit.

rat_catcher
23-01-2011, 09:57 AM
So did they take it home and it wasn't at the Gold Coast when the floods were on?
It was tied up at a pontoon behind their house on the river, unfortunately.

rat_catcher
23-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Rod's Engineering/Lifetime Trailers (http://www.yellowpages.com.au/qld/maroochydore/rods-engineering-lifetime-trailers-12102911-listing.html?context=businessTypeSearch&referredBy=YOL)
Factory 4/ 12 Kayleigh Drv, Maroochydore QLD 4558 - get directions (http://www.yellowpages.com.au/app/redirect?pt=md&productId=314770976&productVersion=2&webSite=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.whereis.com%2FQLD%2FMaroo chydore%2F12-Kayleigh-Drv&context=businessTypeSearch&referredBy=YOL&eventType=getDirections)
ph: (07) 5443 4655
Got it, thanks.

rat_catcher
23-01-2011, 09:58 AM
There's always a fully rollered Dunbier alloy trailer they are good too a 7.5m boat.
Added to the list. Thanks.

Smithy
23-01-2011, 10:05 AM
If you are going to go factory, Duralem would be worth checking out. It is a US built alloy one onsold over here.

OPTI
23-01-2011, 04:28 PM
im going for an origin ,they are the best aluminium trailers ive seen imop,and ive been looking for 3 years.

pilchardjones
24-01-2011, 01:58 PM
i have nothing but praise for my Peterson trailer. Built in US and distributed in Aust by Portsea marine - Justin 0402 432 338
I have 2 of them under glass boats, and at work we have 2 of them under alloy boats.
All very happy.
steve

O-3
24-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Nice looking trailer pilchard jones.

What is the purpose of the blue strips on the bunks?

Did you find the carpet had too much grip?

weeman
24-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Seen a Origin trailer the other day and by looking at it you could put the Queen Mary on that thing, (well maybe) looked to be well made and heavy duty.

pilchardjones
25-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Nice looking trailer pilchard jones.

What is the purpose of the blue strips on the bunks?

Did you find the carpet had too much grip?

yes mate the ramp i use is a very shallow angle at the lower half of the tide - and i had some trouble getting the boat off - so i put teflon strips on.
i know of a lot of other people who are using steeper ramps and have no problems with the carpeted bunks though. in my case there was hardly any boat in the water at low tide.
by far the easiest boat to get on and off a trailer that i have ever used - or seen.
steve

lethal098
25-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Have a look in New Zealand a Mate of mine has a Lazercraft built ally trailer and looks the goods, migth be cheaper than one from the states.

Cheers Lee

O-3
25-01-2011, 05:40 PM
yes mate the ramp i use is a very shallow angle at the lower half of the tide - and i had some trouble getting the boat off - so i put teflon strips on.
i know of a lot of other people who are using steeper ramps and have no problems with the carpeted bunks though. in my case there was hardly any boat in the water at low tide.
by far the easiest boat to get on and off a trailer that i have ever used - or seen.
steve

Thanks Steve.

Are you driving the boat on and off?

My trailer is a bunk trailer too, I haven't launched the boat yet though as it is in getting some work done. I may have to do the same as what you did depending on how hard it is to launch and retrieve on my own.

rat_catcher
26-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Guys thanks for all of the feedback. I at least have a starting point now. One question though, I thought it wasn't a good idea to use bunks for fibreglass boats? I thought multi-rollers were recommended?

O-3
26-01-2011, 04:08 PM
No mate, the yanks recommend bunks for fiberglass boats.

pilchardjones
27-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks Steve.

Are you driving the boat on and off?

My trailer is a bunk trailer too, I haven't launched the boat yet though as it is in getting some work done. I may have to do the same as what you did depending on how hard it is to launch and retrieve on my own.

yes mate i drive on/off. 10 second exercise.
steve

gofishin
27-01-2011, 10:34 PM
i have nothing but praise for my Peterson trailer. Built in US and distributed in Aust by Portsea marine...steveHi Steve, is 'Petersen' the company's name who actually builds the trailer/trailer parts, or is it one of the big boys, i.e. Rocket International (should be stated on the data plate). Would be interested to know, as you sometimes see very similar trailers sold under names used by the importers etc.

PS. Rat Catcher, I have had an alloy & polly bunk trailer under a 685 glass boat for 2+ years now. One word...fantastic. A bonus with the yanky trailers is their seals, hyd. brake assemblies and bearing ubrication systems are far superior to the std Holden/Ford type systems on a lot of local trailers (or at least the ones I have seen)
cheers
Brendon

pilchardjones
28-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi Steve, is 'Petersen' the company's name who actually builds the trailer/trailer parts, or is it one of the big boys, i.e. Rocket International (should be stated on the data plate). Would be interested to know, as you sometimes see very similar trailers sold under names used by the importers etc.

PS. Rat Catcher, I have had an alloy & polly bunk trailer under a 685 glass boat for 2+ years now. One word...fantastic. A bonus with the yanky trailers is their seals, hyd. brake assemblies and bearing ubrication systems are far superior to the std Holden/Ford type systems on a lot of local trailers (or at least the ones I have seen)
cheers
Brendon

hi brendan,
yes peterson trailers in the US supplies all the components to portsea in melbourne, then they are built in melb with these imported parts.
steve

rat_catcher
29-01-2011, 10:29 AM
PS. Rat Catcher, I have had an alloy & polly bunk trailer under a 685 glass boat for 2+ years now. One word...fantastic.
Thanks Brendon. What boat was it? How much weight?

rat_catcher
29-01-2011, 10:30 AM
yes peterson trailers in the US supplies all the components to portsea in melbourne, then they are built in melb with these imported parts.
I guess then you also don't need to worry about non-compliance with Aus regs for an import trailer.

wrxhoon
29-01-2011, 05:36 PM

I have a bunk ally trailer made in USA and I would never go back to rollers unless I wanted to launch at the beach.
The boat sits much better on the bunks and never rocks so cornering is much easier and faster. You can buy spay stuff in USA you spray it on the bunk carpet and she slides off much easier ( of course never like a multi roller without kill rollers). I have the bendy axles with duratorque suspenssion as well so the boat sits very low , close to the ground , again better on the road and easier to launch.
Yanky trailers use much bigger bearings than the locals even bigger than local Ford. They use a S/S sleeve on the axle stub where the double lip seal runs so it never corodes , always runs on a clean surface so it will never leak.

As for brakes much superior to local stuff , they mostly use vented discs and much bigger calipers than local , I have a full S/s set up , the only maintence in 3 years a new set of pads .

wags on the water
29-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Mackay Trailers have just brought out an Aluminium Trailer.

gofishin
29-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks Brendon. What boat was it? How much weight?
Scott, I have an Outsider 685. Fully loaded & fuelled probably 2.3 - 2.4t on the water, maybe more when we are going away for a few days and have the ‘kitchen sink’ aboard! Trailer is Duralum (importer), Rocket International is the manufacturer, 3.5t ATM, Tare weight 500kg (on MDP). I have added maybe 15kg in ‘bits’ (rollers over axles/X-members, transverse skids and guide wobbles – for various reasons).

Mine has the solid polly bunks/skids. Not exactly sure what type of plastic it is, but it has a very greasy/slippery feel and a distinct smell that I can’t actually pick, which is probably an additive to the parent PE/PP material. The polly bunks have a natural curve to them, although I have planed them a few times to better match the deadrise etc. I went polly as I preferred this over carpet.

The alloy used has a very high temper – if you don’t use a bit of metho while drilling, it will take forever. There are no welds, it is all bolted.

As wrx says, their running gear is top quality, although mine has the silver-cadmium plated (ventilated) discs, not s/s – but they are still in top condition, with only a pad change in 2+years. Ditto to what wrx has said, plus torsion axles (whatever brand) leave the old leaf spring trailer for dead as far as handling/ride goes.
Cheers
Brendon

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad140/BrendonTait/KC/IMG_0334sml.jpg

rat_catcher
30-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks for all of the replies....lots to think about, but I do like the idea of a bunk trailer for ease of maintenance.