PDA

View Full Version : New boat Purchase? Opinions please

ashmax
21-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Hi

Well it finally looks like that a boat purchase is soon to be a reality!!!

The family and I have just moved back to the Central Coast NSW after spending the last 6 years in Mackay. I have been working in the mines but managed to transfer back home where i grew up. In doing so i wanted to get back into boating and share the experiences that i had growing up and my love of boating with my family!!::)

I am interested in purchasing a Quintrex 510 Freedom Sport or a 510 Freedom Cruiser. Now i have narrowed it down to one of these but i am open to other suggestions:D

The reason i have picked these boats is for the following reasons

1. The extra space in the front of the bow for people
2. ease of access for passengers on and off the boat during family outings etc
3. something that can cope with family outings and a hard days fishing with the boys on the other
4. I also wish to take her offshore on relatively calm days, hence the reason for the 510.

On that last point will the 510 be capable and able to handle offshore conditions? It will only be short trips nothing drastically far.

5. Be able to also fish the enclosed waters with the kids and have them constantly safe (as safe as you can be when using boats!!1;D)

6. basically be an alround boat for every need a loving family has and also have the guts to handle a hard day fishing with the boys.

If you can let me know what everyone thinks that would be great. All opinions and suggestions welcome!!

Ashmax;D:helpa:

stevel3
22-01-2011, 06:13 AM
sounds like you know what your are after and I cant see how you could go wrong with a Quintrex, just make sure it has a big enough motor ( at least a 75, but a 90 would be better) to handle it.

thelump
22-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Use the search function on this site and load in qunitrex. Get yourself a cuppa or beer first as you will be there for a while.
Good luck

oldie
22-01-2011, 11:52 AM
mines 30 years old and still going strong no holes, cracks, corrosion still sees me to sea and back safely everytime, later model motor helps 510 FS is nice family boat

Beast1965
22-01-2011, 11:55 AM
I have a 500 Freedom Sports for the exact same reasons it does go outside very well and I have a 70 Yamaha 2 stroke that cruises on 25 knots and it is very economical. I have a ply board that fits in the middle of the front lounge and makes a great fishing platform for when you have three or more fishing.

ashmax
22-01-2011, 03:16 PM
thanks for your input.....

Sounds like i am on the right track... was a bit worried about the boat being able to handle small outside trips but so far the response is good!!

Thanks guys

cormorant
22-01-2011, 04:17 PM
This member is selling a very similar boat?

Might be worth a chat for pros and cons

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=172007

Jarrah Jack
22-01-2011, 08:09 PM
mines 30 years old and still going strong no holes, cracks, corrosion still sees me to sea and back safely everytime, later model motor helps 510 FS is nice family boat

What have you got Oldie, mines a '79 fishabout, super strong. Wish they still made them like that..

La Vida
23-01-2011, 05:44 AM
HI ASHMAX

just went through a very similar situation, good to see you you have made a list of requirements you want out of your boat, that is the first step

when I was looking a rode in both of these, however the boat I settled on before going back to a glass boat was an Allision alloy australis 4.95, went for a ride in all these boats and the Allision was the best by a country mile. If you want to do some light offshore work than this is the boat to look at. 5083 4mm plate alloy, 3mm plate sides had better freeboard height so felt safer for the kids and the dash allowed for bigger electronics. Package pricing was better than the quinnie. while they are small builder who has been around for a long time and has an excellent reputation they can also do changes in the boat for you.

it may or may not be of interest http://www.allisonboats.com.au/showroom/495-australis-bow-rider/

what ever boat you decide on put a fourstroke on. it will be a better engine for the long run

ashmax
23-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks la Vida had a look at the Allision, looks good and your right thicker on bottom and sides. Looks good and i am always keen to support Australian built products..... a boat worth keeping on the short list.....

However my short list is quickly becoming a long list lol

Jarrah Jack
23-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Ashmax....I won't get into the quintrex / telwater ( who make quintrex among others) debate, if you searched these pages you'll find enough on that. The plate type Allison boats are much much stronger because of the stronger alloy and fully welded method of construction. They are generally more expensive because of it.

Comparing a pressed alloy quintrex type boat to a plate boat is not really comparing apples with apples.

oldie
23-01-2011, 12:42 PM
What have you got Oldie, mines a '79 fishabout, super strong. Wish they still made them like that..

got a 5m CruiseAbout with 2000 Mod 70HP yamaha on the back, when i was 16 i had a 5m Fishfinder centre console (same hull) always loved that boat, named it "loose nuts' as at the time i was having trouble with my XD ford and the mechanic stated "prob just a couple of loose nuts behind the wheel" i thought that name would fit the bill of a couple teenagers heading thru the bar going on a fishin mission. So the old guy who owned this Cruiseabout from new was selling so i snavelled it up cheap sold the old tohatsu off it and put my yamaha on it. happy days

eyeskeenas
23-01-2011, 01:58 PM
I have a 510 freedom sport im in the process of selling, it has taken me everywhere i have wanted to go. sandy straits, cape moreton, countless trips to tangalooma and come home on some pretty ordinary days. its easy to handle by myself and it fits plenty of people and stuff. great storage.
the only thing i would recommend is go with max Hp. mine has an 80 and does 26 knots. cruises around 20 knots. my opinion is it could very easily do more safely.
any questions you want to know flick me a message.
cheers

hoodunnit
23-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Use the search function on this site and load in qunitrex. Get yourself a cuppa or beer first as you will be there for a while.
Good luck

I own one 6metre Quinnie ,got it brand new for $35000 bucks in 02, has not given me one problem in that time,probably still get $25000 if I wanted to sell it. I,ve been in enough glass/plate boats to realise they are not worth me getting rid of my boat and dumping another 40 or so grand in to it to get something that is bugger all better,or not even as good.