PDA

View Full Version : looking for 1st boat (12-17ft) a few q's

gros21
21-01-2011, 08:08 PM
im looking for a cheap 2nd hand boat (if u know one plug it here)
my car can tow 1.2t (96 4x4 hilux) will this be ok a sa tow vechicle

i do want to chase barra in creaks and teh causeway so am i better off getting a basic fish finder or some thing flash?
i saw teh lowarnce hds 5c for $750 or i could get a cheap hummingbird for $100

also for the rare use should u go a tinny or glass?

cheers boys any thing else tip wise would be good

finga
21-01-2011, 08:12 PM
What's your budget?
There's a huge difference in boats when your comparing boats from 12-17ft.
Budget might narrow down the options a bit.
Usually 17ft boats are not suited for creeks but what do you class as a creek?

Scott nthQld
21-01-2011, 08:20 PM
That hilux will be fine for towing a boat that size IMO.

I'd be looking at around the 4.5m mark (about 16ft) and looking for a tinny for the occassional user, should be cheaper to buy and less maintenance. I'd be looking for a centre/sideconsole (but a tiller steer will be cheaper and just as effective if your on a tight budget) layout with front casting deck and at least provision for a bowmount. Unpainted as the barra and jacks will be in tight and who knows when you might have to do some snag bashing to get back a snagged lure.

Get the best sounder you can afford, those side imaging units are awesome for the creeks, you can see the barra and jack hiding right up in the structure along the snaggy banks. I don't have a side imager in my boat, but I have a normal humminbird and it does the job. Dunno much about the new Lowarance units, never used them.

If you're looking at any particular brand IMO seajay make about the best production tinny on the market, every one I have seen in person, workmanship has been excellent, very, very solid little boats, only way to get a better tinny would be to look at production plate boats or going the whole hog and going custom plate

gros21
21-01-2011, 09:10 PM
$4000 If it's good 2 go. I know it's a small budget. 4.2m would be nice. It must also be able to be solo put in/out.
There is a few on eBay for 3.2-4k
What models have side scanning as that's exactly why I asked about a higher speced finder the hds 5x also has gps and a fuel gauge and from the demo mode it looked more like a 3d sonar pics not just a simple fish finder.

I have the best part of 2.5k now it will just take me 4 weeks 2 save the rest

Jarrah Jack
21-01-2011, 09:24 PM
A tinnie will be the way to go. As mentioned a tiller steer would also be fine. With your sort of budget just make sure that you're not going to take a hit with the motor or the budget can double just like that.

The trailer and the hull should be obvious. I always ask then check if the boat has been welded, that is structurally repaired. If its to the skin then run. The motor should be checked by a mechanic or you will be taking a big risk in that price bracket. I got a great 4.2 meter tinnie for 3.5k so they are out there.

gros21
21-01-2011, 09:36 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/15-FT-CENTER-CONSOLE-TINNY-BOAT-ALL-NEW-GEAR-/290521455988?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item43a46d9d74#ht_1898wt_922

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4-1m-aluminium-tinny-boat-/110638276459?pt=AU_Boats&hash=item19c28e1f6b#ht_1054wt_922

These are 2 I'm keen on. The 1st is actully 4k and 2nd he wants 3k

Im going 2 c if they pass in. I'm selling my old ford so I could get even more.

finga
22-01-2011, 05:23 AM
The first one the most important thing to check are the rivets. It's a bloody old boat.
They become loose and then people shove stupid stuff like glaziers silicon on to stop the leaks and then the boat is virtually stuffed.
Have a good look at the rivets and take the boat for a run to check for leaks.
And the second one I'd be checking pretty closely too.
Everything that they have done just seems....dodgy.

As Jack fella says....get someone to check motors and while they're there check the boats.

Personally I'd be going for something like the $2000 one but I'd be spending a bit more to get something newer and better looked after

Here's a couple for sale here within your budget. The first one would suit creek work to a tee.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=3211
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=2574

Don't get disheartened though. Bargains are out there and if your patient you will find something.

tunaticer
22-01-2011, 06:54 AM
The first link you put up has probably got limited time left in its rivets and alloy, does not look like it has been well cared for.

On any boat you are interested in get a compression test done by someone you trust to give you the truth. Motors will often run fine with one pot down 15-20% in pressure only to die soon after.

I would concentrate more on the motor than the hull as almost all tinnies will do the job nicely for creek work and around the Causeway lake.

Also pays to go around the boat yards looking for "as traded" tinnies they don't put in thier yards. Some really good bargains to be had there usually just because of cosmetic problems like bad paint jobs that are shagged etc.

FNQCairns
22-01-2011, 07:21 AM
IMO For creek fishing knowledge and effort has it all over any sounder so forget the U beaut one ie if a particular boat is better and has no sounder, go for that one.

Jarrah Jack
22-01-2011, 08:37 AM
I like the look of those two boats that KFC Finga found...One thing I forgot to mention is that you can build a boat up over time to suit your requirements. Its not that difficult to add a casting deck and other refinements. If you have a look through the my inventions sticky at the start of this forum you'll know what I mean.

robothefisho
22-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Don't even consider those 2 from ebay, I don't even have to inspect them to tell you they are pieces of crap. If he is getting insulted with offers less than 3k, he'd probably fall off his chair when someone offers him what it's really worth.

gros21
22-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Cheers for the links. Im really looking for one in qld so I can go pic it up. I don't have much local knowledge of the causeway lakes. But a gps one I could mark deepnholes structure.
Yea I have a few local boys keeping an eye on boats 4 me. I'm at boyne area next week but alot of people just want to much.

Yea I'm happy to start with 2k boat a small center console would be great but pushing it I think. Would be nice if it fit in the shed to :p

Once I get together $$$$ ill prolly start posting more links

gros21
23-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Ok I bought a boat a old Booker 14ft with a 96/97 mecury 40hp tilt trailor.

Bit of a whim but comes with flares, 3 life jackets, cuda fish finder, battery, esky, oars, 9mth rego. False floor there but needs replacing (support under it ok)

Boat has been recently painted, 8" side extensions put on her.

$1850 im happy.

Just needs that locking pin for engine what's it called so I can eBay 1.
It's the pin that's in the engine frame/mount (that sets engines angle) then the engine than the engine rest on it.