PDA

View Full Version : Wello Point Access Now Open ... But

SUPERDAFF
20-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Cr Wendy Boglary Division 1, Redland CIty Council has advised: "Main Road Wellington Point to the point is now open to light vehicles under 4.5 tonne, this includes cars and boats on trailers, except on Australia Day".

I have queried what "except on Australia Day" means in terms of boaties. Further update when Wendy responds - she's ordinarily pretty prompt when coming back on these matters.

Locals and frequent visitors would be aware that the access road to the Wellington Point Reserve and boat ramp had been closed as a result of road subsidence and a separate soil slip at a prominent retaining wall.

SUPERDAFF

SUPERDAFF
20-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Cr Wendy Boglary Division 1, Redland CIty Council has advised: "Main Road Wellington Point to the point is now open to light vehicles under 4.5 tonne, this includes cars and boats on trailers, except on Australia Day".

I have queried what "except on Australia Day" means in terms of boaties. Further update when Wendy responds - she's ordinarily pretty prompt when coming back on these matters.

Locals and frequent visitors would be aware that the access road to the Wellington Point Reserve and boat ramp had been closed as a result of road subsidence and a separate soil slip at a prominent retaining wall.

SUPERDAFF

As predicted, Cr Wendy Boglary has responded to my query - not good news I'm afraid.

Wendy's note reads:
Yes I know the tradition and I tried. The decision was made by the executives and I have explained the importance of the Day I have tried to get the message out so at least this week end the boaties know they can go down there. This news only came through late last night. Appreciate if you could send out through your boating network.

In turn I have sent a note to Wendy stating:
Appreciate your assistance, however, I sincerely hope that these ‘executives’ were not relying on the data from the counters they have had recently on top of the ramp.

I mean, the greatest and most continuous rainfall event in 100 years and someone is doing traffic counts at the boat ramp. Give me a break !

On another front, this season our boating rego fees have been raised 30 percent; our Council rates have gone up (we’re now paying almost $5,000 in rates and levies); our boating fuel bill has gone up 16 cents a litre (dudded by Anna on the 8 cents a litre and then we have to go to premium fuel at an additional 8 cents a litre because you can’t run outboards on the ethanol blend); they’ve shut down fishing access to the large parts on the bay without doing the required science and now our ‘executives’ are selling out on their own ratepayers on Australia Day.

Doesn’t sound too Australian to me. Surely some trailer parks could be set aside.

Kind regards

liltuffy
21-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Are they going to issue infringement notices to vehicles with boat trailers attached in the boat trailer only parking positions??

oldboot
21-01-2011, 03:27 PM
I've just stuck a flea in Tony Bowlers ear about this...I'll see what happens.

cheers

Marlin_Mike
21-01-2011, 03:49 PM
I went down this arvo for a squiz:-

1/ Where the road subsided it has been opened as one lane only. They have installed temporary traffic lights, so be very careful and patient if you go down there.

2/ Further down where the wall collapsed and fell at the bottom of the hill, it also has been opened up as one lane only. Again they have installed temporary traffic lights, so be very careful and very patient while this happens and rectification work is done.

If your fishing maybe be best option is Manly Harbour or Raby Bay ramps.

Mike

theoldlegend
21-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Have a look in the Redlands Times today - Page 9.

Australia Day celebrations in the Redlands
Wednesday 26 January

"No general public vehicle access to Wellington Point Reserve and boat ramp"

Just about says it all.

TOL

Marlin_Mike
21-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Have a look in the Redlands Times today - Page 9.

Australia Day celebrations in the Redlands
Wednesday 26 January

"No general public vehicle access to Wellington Point Reserve and boat ramp"

Just about says it all.

TOL

And I believe Southbank has cancelled their Australia Day fireworks????????????

Mike

oldboot
25-01-2011, 03:08 PM
I just got off the phone to Tony Bowler......it seems that there will now be supervised access to Wellington Point on Australia Day.

Council have came to arrangemets with the Police to handle the traffic situation.

details on the council web site. http://www.redland.qld.gov.au/AboutRedlands/Emergency/Pages/WeatherDamage.aspx

Probaly a good idea to give it a swerve if you have another option.

It will be slow going to get down there and back thru the road obstructions.

cheers

SUPERDAFF
25-01-2011, 03:26 PM
I just got off the phone to Tony Bowler......it seems that there will now be supervised access to Wellington Point on Australia Day.

Council have came to arrangemets with the Police to handle the traffic situation.

details on the council web site. http://www.redland.qld.gov.au/AboutRedlands/Emergency/Pages/WeatherDamage.aspx

Probaly a good idea to give it a swerve if you have another option.

It will be slow going to get down there and back thru the road obstructions.

cheers

OLD BOOT
You're right - I had posted an update yesterday as a new thread. Gross limit of Car and BMT is 4.5 tonnes.
Regards
SUPERDAFF