PDA

View Full Version : Overall boat length on trailer

gouldy
20-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Hi all, im wondering what the overall length of a boat on a trailer including the motor is for a boat in the 5.2m to 5.5m range is. Dont care if its alloy or glass as i havent made a decision on what type of boat i will be getting in the future i just know it will be round that size.

I am currently building a new house with a new shed to come and what to make sure its going to fit in there later on.

Cheers

frankgrimes
20-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Check out boat manufacturers websites - they usually list the overall length.

eg. http://www.haines-marine.com.au/content.aspx?pageid=27

BMT length:Approx. 6.75m

Mick

oldboot
20-01-2011, 12:01 PM
by the time the drawbar hangs out the front and the motor tilted up hangs out the back, ya best to allow 1.5 to 2 meters at least....more if ya want to walk arround it.

cheers

Micadogs
20-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi Gouldy, my 5.5 metre boat measures just on 7 metres LOA. This includes from the tow hitch to the prop.

Roughasguts
20-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Don't forget the height windscreen Etc and get double doors I have a tripple garage with single doors and it would be better with double doors by a mile.

Cheers.

Kevaclone
20-01-2011, 12:58 PM
both my boats + trailers are 7.5M with the engine tilted. you can lose 1/2m by dropping the motor(with the jockey wheel dropped right down)

unfortunately the standard shed size is 6M so I'd got for a 9 metre deep shed

propdinger
20-01-2011, 01:00 PM
5.2mtr of ours is 6.4mtrs total. which we have to put it in a 6mtr shed i had to paint where the tyres need to go for it to fit in and if i get it right the door shuts ;D

gouldy
20-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks guys keep those measurements coming. Im hoping for 7.5m but if i could go a little less it would work out heaps better for our plan. Cheers

Matt76
20-01-2011, 09:25 PM
My 5.3 is just under 7m on the trailer.

White Pointer
21-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Hi all, im wondering what the overall length of a boat on a trailer including the motor is for a boat in the 5.2m to 5.5m range is. Dont care if its alloy or glass as i havent made a decision on what type of boat i will be getting in the future i just know it will be round that size.

I am currently building a new house with a new shed to come and what to make sure its going to fit in there later on.

Cheers

G'day,

Add 2.5M for the trailer drawbar and the engine in the supported position.

Remember that boat length is usually measured as the length of the weather deck, so OAL is a bit more.

I reckon an 8M shed will do you for now but like most boaties you will always want a bigger one so plan to build the shed to 10M length with 4.2M wall height and 3.6M door clearances. Then we will sell you a really big ORIGIN Boat.

Note: I have a vested interest in ORIGIN Boats and I can just see a 5.5M AXIS in your life!

Also remember that you may need to board the boat to do maintenance and prepare for trips so make allowances to get to your bungs and around the engine.

Make sure that there is a power point close by for battery charging over those lay off periods - like when it floods.

Regards,

White Pointer

peterbo3
21-01-2011, 10:05 PM
You can fudge a bit by storing the boat on an angle inside the shed or cutting a hole in the back wall & building a little annex to fit the engine into. I have seen tiltadoors with a hole cut in them to allow your trailer drawbar to protrude when the door is down.
But everybody always wants a bigger boat down the track so get a big shed to start with.;D;D;D;D

Kevaclone
21-01-2011, 10:37 PM
You can fudge a bit by storing the boat on an angle inside the shed or cutting a hole in the back wall & building a little annex to fit the engine into. I have seen tiltadoors with a hole cut in them to allow your trailer drawbar to protrude when the door is down.
But everybody always wants a bigger boat down the track so get a big shed to start with.;D;D;D;D

yep I recommend a 40x40 4 bay shed with double carport off the end
You'll probably spend more time there than in the house so you want to make it comfortable. lots of 20amp single phase and 3 phase power outlets, TV antenna outlets, Aircon etc.8-)

Moonlighter
23-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi Goldie

My Surtees 5.5 is 6.7m overall in my shed with the motor down. Hull length is 5.3m. Ive got about 0.6m clearance from the coupling to the front of the shed, which gives just enough room to get past without getting grease on your leg, most times!

Height wise I just have normal garage height which I can get away with because the Surtees has a fold-down windscreen and alloy hardtop, which works very well and takes less than 2 minutes to put up once the boat is out of the shed. The downside is that the screen/hardtop/rocket launcher is in the way a fair bit if you need to get into the boat when its in the shed. Compromises!

Cheers

ML

finga
23-01-2011, 11:55 AM
5.2mtr of ours is 6.4mtrs total. which we have to put it in a 6mtr shed i had to paint where the tyres need to go for it to fit in and if i get it right the door shuts ;D
How does that work?

Drewmd
23-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Hi folks.

Couldn't agree more. My 5.7m Stacer fits a 9m shed with room to move/walk around. Don't forget about height either if you're getting a cuddy or 1/2 cab.

Kevaclone
23-01-2011, 06:31 PM
How does that work?

Park it at an angle