PDA

View Full Version : Fel tank repair

rynosaurus
20-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Hi guuys

Have an old yamaha fuel tank that i want to use as a spare however it leaks slightly. The fuel gauge eye viewing area has melted down (previous owner?) and the plastic doesnt quite align with the glass underneath and hence it leaks slightly around it when you shake it.

i was wondering if you can buy a new gauge from yamaha or a boat place - eg whitworths and or is there a gasket or glue product that is fuel safe that i could seal the glass area with so it doesnt leak (btw i dont need to view the guage as its just a spare tank)

cheers
ryan

Vitamin Sea
20-01-2011, 10:16 AM
My advice is to ditch it Ryan, honestley not worth mucking around with, even as a spare tank.

If you need the spare, maybe look a jerry can, or, purchase a new or good secondhand tank, they are around.

Cheers

Bill

deckie
20-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Hey Ryan, Bill's right. Just chuck it out, seriously. You dont want to be around to see the ramifications of an old repaired fuel tank...and if it doesnt happen soon all that means is that it'll give u a false sense of security about it, and then one day you'll be carrying it in the back of the ute/car or in the boat and go over a bump then....#$@@$@# !!!!!!!!!!!
There's always guys replacing tanks so maybe post something in the "wanted" section or obne of the guys in here might have a spare in good nick he doesnt need anymore..what size is it ?.

joey_1987
20-01-2011, 11:13 AM
If it is leaking from the fuel tank cap/guage cap and the tank is structurally sound (no leaks) then I don't see what the issue is in sourcing a replacement cap rather than sourcing a whole new tank. Safety first, yes, but if it's a plastic tank then they're very durable but the plastic caps do give. Try a Yamaha dealer, how big is the tank? New tanks aren't that expensive for small ones in any case, BCF sometimes have 12L tanks on sale for $30.
Cheers.

oldboot
20-01-2011, 11:31 AM
If the guage you are talking about is in the cap...hell no worries..ya chould be able to buy a new cap with or without the guage.

The scepter caps fit quite a few of the motor branded units...wa just need to make sure the replacement cap fits properly and does not leak.

If its the guage in the fuel take off assemby.....you can probaly buy a whole takeoff assemby and that should come with a gasget......... but it simply may not be worth it.

cheers

rynosaurus
20-01-2011, 11:48 AM
wow thanks for advice guys - that was super fast

first of all its a 24l plastic tank and yeah have seen the new 24l ones at bcf for under 100 (ithink?)

unfortunately its not in the actual cap its on the other side of the tank - unfortunately i dont have a photo of it to explain it properly

actually i might give yamaha a buzz and see if there is a part number for the different parts on the tank

thanks for the safety concerns and now that you have mentioned them i think ill get rid of it and get another or just a 20l plastic jerry

thanks
ryan

Kevaclone
20-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Jerry's can be stored in a lot more locations/positions than a normal tank and come with a pourer

Richard
20-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Hey Ryan,

You talking about this part ?

http://i.ebayimg.com/23/%21BgsPFcwBmk%7E$%28KGrHqYH-DYEsM393W7uBLGSoLyH%28w%7E%7E_35.JPG

I found this here - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Yamaha-Outboard-Fuel-Meter-assy-PN-6Y1-24260-01-00-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f2ff47e6QQitemZ30042 9559782QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Part no. -
PN 6Y1-24260-01-00

but by the looks of it it probably wouldnt be worth fixing.. might be ok if you could find one locally.. maybe ask a Yamaha dealer in your area. If the rest of the tank is fine, then it might be only half the price of a new tank.

rynosaurus
20-01-2011, 03:16 PM
ah sweet as richard - thats the one!!!!
your a champ

ouch thats pretty dear

what i was wondering was if there was a gasket goo from say locktite that i could seal around the clear window