PDA

View Full Version : Tohatsu M90A - anyone using hotter plugs?

nigelr
16-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Given the reported propensity of this motor to oil plugs, is anyone using plugs a step 'hotter' to combat this issue?
Standard practice with the outdoor power equipment I use as a contractor, but this sucker is worth a lot more than a pole pruner or line trimmer...::)
Cheers.

krazyfisher
16-01-2011, 06:21 PM
I had the same engine and never had a problem with the plugs oiling up???? have you had a problem with the plugs oiling up?

nigelr
16-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Yep, but not too concerned yet, only 10+ hours old.
More due to usage pattern I think, rarely gets above 3500 or so, just a burst of WOT if needed when crossing the bar.
Gentle cruise @about 3500 seems to give the best economy and handling with my light ali hull on the open sea.

Steeler
16-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Give it a few more wide opens on the loud pedal.

Dave_H
16-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Just using standard heat range resistor spark plugs on mine at the present which were installed at the 10 hour service 18 months ago. Have never had any issue with over oiling except during the break-in period where (running some extra oil-dosed fuel for the first tank of running-in) I launched at Lemontree Passage and had to idle quite a distance before being able to open the taps. Removed the plugs and cleaned/dried them and all good from there.

It does have a lumpy sort of idle however haven't had an issue with the motor since then. My engine seems to use less oil than did its smaller Evinrude predecessor.

Regards,

Dave.