PDA

View Full Version : Low Act

philpy
16-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Hey up at the Morningside RSL last night for a birthday and they refused my mates family entry caused they had no shoes. This is after he told the staff he lost his house and everything in the flood and refused entry to a family that also lost everything on friday cause they had no shoes and all they wanted was lunch. Just thought people should know before anyone goes up there

FNQCairns
16-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Any fuller details? if you post the link to their email address etc with some solider specifics and we can sensibly send them our thoughts (civilized ones only please).

Jarrah Jack
16-01-2011, 09:52 AM
My email will have something like digger tradition and turning in their grave in there somewhere. It does remind me of something I read about Korean war soldiers being refused entry because it was deemed not a real war at the time. (Not the same RSL)

philpy
16-01-2011, 09:53 AM
http://www.morningsideservicesclub.com.au/

Yeah mate the family last night were from fernvale out west of brisbane. Not sure bout the family friday. My mate who had the birthady party had to go to his car and get his running shoes for one of the older kids. Ther house wasnt just full of water it water.It was washed away altogether.

finga
16-01-2011, 12:41 PM
I would have shouted them a pair of shoes before taking them out for a feed.
Fairly important to have some shoes I reckon.

No Fear
16-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Oh, this is a bit of a weird one, especially considering the circumstances. I am actually studying ethics in society at the moment and this is certainly one of those cases.
I guess there is going to be plenty of these similar ethical decisions that are going to be made in the immediate future. What would you doin these circumstances:
1. After yesterdays hard work, a P plater has a beer with tHe rest of the volunteers and goes to drive home? Do you let him drive knowing there are plenty of people on the street and if "an accident" happens the drive would be severely prosecuted?
2. A volunteer wants to help so takes his unregistered trailer to pick some rubbish off the street. What happens if he accidentally reverses into your new land cruiser?
3. The RSL let's your mate in and on the way to the toilet steps on some glass that was missed on a recent clean up. Your mate sues the RSL for The incident

I know these are all very unlikely situations, but what's the chance of the Brissie River reaching 5.4 metres.

My only comment is that rules are normally put in place for our protection, and we should probably stick to the rules to reducel further incidents. Sorry to drag my response out a bit, and I'd be interested to hear other peoples responses. By the way, I'm not saying I wouldn't have let them in.

philpy
16-01-2011, 03:22 PM
[quote=No Fear;1242773]Oh, this is a bit of a weird one, especially considering the circumstances. I am actually studying ethics in society at the moment and this is certainly one of those cases.
I guess there is going to be plenty of these similar ethical decisions that are going to be made in the immediate future. What would you doin these circumstances:
1. After yesterdays hard work, a P plater has a beer with tHe rest of the volunteers and goes to drive home? Do you let him drive knowing there are plenty of people on the street and if "an accident" happens the drive would be severely prosecuted?
2. A volunteer wants to help so takes his unregistered trailer to pick some rubbish off the street. What happens if he accidentally reverses into your new land cruiser?
3. The RSL let's your mate in and on the way to the toilet steps on some glass that was missed on a recent clean up. Your mate sues the RSL for The incident

I know these are all very unlikely situations, but what's the chance of the Brissie River reaching 5.4 metres.

My only comment is that rules are normally put in place for our protection, and we should probably stick to the rules to reducel further incidents. Sorry to drag my response out a bit, and I'd be interested to hear other peoples responses. By the way, I'm not saying I wouldn't have let them in.[/quote

Yeah very true. But you can slip over in a pair of thongs at a bar and land on ya head. You could get hit by a stolen car and the person is still going to jail no matter what. Bad shit happens every day but the lack of common sense around the place is unreal. People at the evacuation centre had no foot wear but were welcomed with open arms. There was no excuse to not let a family eat or turn them away cause they had no footware. Common sense is all it takes

FNQCairns
16-01-2011, 03:27 PM
true No fear but where do we stop, I think legalities get clouded/hidden to be as ethics, the troop of Volunteers....not a steel capped pair of gumboots did i see, many sneakers also, how many previously undiagnosed and even dormant illnesses will be awoken by simply being volunteer....we have in 'theory only' a society savior which is insurance if an impacted volunteer ticks all the box's (That in it's self might be a monumental task in practice).

What then is the ethics of the practice of volunteering? Given the potential for injury, does the act of volunteering become ethical simply because of the existence of insurance.

I cannot swallow the modern concept of ethics is but only by insurance, make no mistake it's not about potential injury to a person it's about who will pay in that relatively unlikely event.

The RSL held not an ethical dilemma they held a monetary one, nothing higher if one takes away society's designer smoke and mirrors IMO

BillR1
16-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Oh, this is a bit of a weird one, especially considering the circumstances. I am actually studying ethics in society at the moment and this is certainly one of those cases.

My only comment is that rules are normally put in place for our protection, and we should probably stick to the rules to reducel further incidents. Sorry to drag my response out a bit, and I'd be interested to hear other peoples responses. By the way, I'm not saying I wouldn't have let them in.

What many people forget is that the courts now recognise that people have a duty of care to themselves. If you fall over a tree root growing on a footpath the duty of care will normally rest with you and not the trees owner. You should have seen it. If you step on a man hole cover and it collapses it is unreasonable that you could have seen that coming so the duty of care will likely rest with the owner of the man hole cover.

In the case of the RSL they seem very churlish to me as all they needed to do was warn the people they will not be respolsible for any injury due to lack of footware. It wouldn't have hurt them to be a little reasonable in this case.

IMHO the refusal seems like officious claptrap .
BillR

No Fear
16-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Philpy, FNQCairns and BillR1 you all make very good points. It all really seems petty conversation considering the circumstance (so when I logged on again I donated another $20)but I guess what I was trying to say is how far do we bend the rules in these circumstances? We know the grubs out there will!! A simple situation here will probably see a few people not go to the RSL again, yet if they were let in, everyone with no shoes could have rocked up wanting to get in which would have other consequences. I am sure there will be other instances like this pop in soon. At least you get to know what some people are really like.....

aussiebasser
21-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Wow, there was a house in Fernvale washed completely away. I'm surprised I hadn't heard about that earlier.