PDA

View Full Version : Proud as punch

philpy
15-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Just a quick note to say, how bloody proud does it make you feel to be an Aussie, seeing everyone band together and help out complete strangers. I know its got nothing to do with fishing, but I think it needs to be said. The Aussie spirit is alive and well. Go you good thing!!!!!!!!!!

FishHunter
15-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Very impressive indeed.

PinHead
15-01-2011, 03:18 PM
out again today at Sumner industrial estate..the footpaths are mountains of rubbish. All small businesses that employ people.
One business - the mechanic..the number of people that turned up to help him was amazing..all just friends of his customers..cleaning all the oily tools etc.
On the other side is an importer...Asian items like Buddha statues, cane baskets etc etc. The part owner yesterday was telling us they had just imported a huge shipment (which was to fill orders) and that he was insured for 190k..stock was about 500k..as the Bobcat kept hauling all the ruined stock out today ..and the 5th truck was filled he broke down..he was in tears..he said he did not have enough money now to pay his 5 staff their wages and did not know when he could have them come back to work...all he was worried about was how they would survive ...a bloody tragedy..brought a huge lump to the throat.

Dodgy_Back
15-01-2011, 03:44 PM
My family of 6 went and helped in fairfield today after a call from a friend that said that they needed help to help thier friends.
So at 9 oclock we turn up to help people we don't even know.
The whole area was full of volunteers doing the same as us, a marvelous sight to see so many helping people they don't even know.

I did not see any official people in charge but there was no confusion just hard working people every where.
As a community we should be very proud how we can help others when they need it the most .

Fairfiled was like a war zone !!!
No other words could describe it, house totally devastated by the flood. Mud ,, never seen so much mud in my life everything in th ehouse we were helping was mud.

One thing I did notice that after giving refuge to our friends from Africa I didn't see any of them helping us !! Hope I'm wrong with that observation.

leelee
15-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Just a quick note to say, how bloody proud does it make you feel to be an Aussie, seeing everyone band together and help out complete strangers. I know its got nothing to do with fishing, but I think it needs to be said. The Aussie spirit is alive and well. Go you good thing!!!!!!!!!!

Was at Figtree Pocket today helping with the clean up effort. Amazing effort by all. People just kept turning up to work and help. People handing out food, water, drink, people making bbq's to feed people, its great to see. Police delivering water, people have beer chilled for knock off time this arvo. Its great to see people travelling from afar to help as well. Met a couple today from Cleveland helping out as well as Aspley.

Will be hopefully down at Riverhills and Jindalee tomorrow.

Get out there and lend a hand guys.

Cheers

Lee

Greg P
15-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Good stuff Qld. Big day for our family helping out today and backing up tomorrow. Proud to be a Qlder !

samsnap
15-01-2011, 07:35 PM
My olds live at Chelmer/Sherwood & their house was spared by a few 100m - but we have been back & forth from the Northside - today with ice cold drinks to hand out, up & down their neighbouring streets - People bless you just for a cold bottle of water - it brings tears to my eyes. Sammy xx

Crestcutter
15-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Good onya to the guys that helped. Absolutely proud to be an Aussie.

pescados
16-01-2011, 01:12 PM
One thing I did notice that after giving refuge to our friends from Africa I didn't see any of them helping us !! Hope I'm wrong with that observation.

Funny you should say that, Have not seen/heard anything of the Allah deciples either.
Probably nothing in it for them.

leelee
16-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Funny you should say that, Have not seen/heard anything of the Allah deciples either.
Probably nothing in it for them.

Was cleaning up with a diverse bunch of people today at Riverhills. Asian, Indian, Islanders and Middle Eastern people working together. Great stuff to see.

Cheers

Lee

GBC
16-01-2011, 03:50 PM
People pushing wheelbarrows full of softdrink and beer on ice at Corinda today, and a come all sausage sizzle by one of the unaffected homeowners in the street I was in.

About half the people there were yesterday, but a good turnout all the same.

Dogdoctor
16-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Went to three different address to assist over the last number of days and I have to agree with Leelee. All different nationalities origins working together at West Lake and at Oxley there were definitely three 3 Africa type people working very hard along with all the other type people. Adversity and Tribulation bring out the best in all peoples. The looters have been few in number thankfully - I am not sure which subspecies they are.

PinHead
16-01-2011, 05:25 PM
I sat on the step at Harcourts at Jindalee today and had lunch with a Chinese bloke and a couple of Indian blokes..they were as sweaty and muddy as the rest of us. Leave the bigoted attitudes out will ya.

philpy
16-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Het guys. makes me so proud to be an Aussie. Your stories are great. Taken a week off work to get out there and help out. First time for a long time im looking forward to going to work for a while ha. Keep it up guys

leelee
16-01-2011, 05:50 PM
I sat on the step at Harcourts at Jindalee today and had lunch with a Chinese bloke and a couple of Indian blokes..they were as sweaty and muddy as the rest of us. Leave the bigoted attitudes out will ya.

Did you get my sms I sent you?

I was down at Riverhills today and thought you might be in the centenary area somewhere.

Cheers

Lee

philpy
16-01-2011, 05:56 PM
hey guys just heard that BCC arnt running the buses out to the places affected. Just trying to find out where i should go. Got my own 4wd and Im a tradie. Any ideas would help

PinHead
16-01-2011, 06:11 PM
just do what I did today..headed to Jindalee..pulled up outside a house where some people were and asked if they needed a hand. No need to be a tradie..just be prepared to chip in in any way required.

wayno60
16-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Dont worry about ol mate in his tug boat being a hero, all the above and every single person that has gotten on those buses to go to where ever for no other reason but to help out a fellow queenslander are all hero's.

I think it was the bank of queensland that used to have the slogan

YOU CAN COUNT ON A QUEENSLANDER!!!

sure can...

Steeler
16-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Bit of a sideline but just got back from the game between the Jets and Mariners in the A League in Newcastle today ( damn those mariners ) and must say the people plonking $20,$50 & $100's in the bucket brigades buckets was very impressive hopefully it adds to a decent amount and finds it way to those most needy.

2DKnBJ
16-01-2011, 07:45 PM
I have just finished my second day at the inlaws and it has been fantastic to see the help that total strangers are giving. I know what i want to say but i am too tired to think...THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT HAS HELPED OUT.
When we were driving home today i saw something that put a smile on my face.
In the space of about 1 km down Carnigie dr and Westlake dr at Westlake i counted 11 Aussie flags on fences and on top of the piles of what was their lives.It is like the last act of defiance.

Cheers Dazza

wamjam
16-01-2011, 08:51 PM
I hope, what I have seen in the last couple of days, is happenning all over the flooded areas.

Absolutely awesome display of aussie mateship!!

Scott

Greg P
16-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Also big thanks to the ADF. Worked side by side with them today at Fairfield/Yerongapilly and those guys all to a tee show fantastic leadership. I am always proud of our soldeirs but more so today.

Well done !!!

Chris Ryan
16-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Home for 1 day now as my family has been cut off from home out here in the West Suburbs. Ended up having to meet my kids at a mates place after they picked them up from their Ipswich care. Just got in actually before the Ipswich motorway got cut off and only had the shirt on my back. Luck I have big mates to get some clothes from. :)

Been cleaning and demolishing houses since Wed in Ipswich areas - its hard seeing ya mates life on the street in a pile. We have 8 families so far we know of from out little footy club that have lost everything. Number is sure to rise as we get out to help and get calls through.

For anyone with kids out our way, the Penrith Panthers will be at our club to help clean up what is left of it (not much we lost a 40' container and have to gut our little donga we use as a canteen) and to give the kids a bit of a boost. If you know people out that way get them to Karalee Tornadoes at Blue gum reserve, sth queensborough parade in Karalee 9am. Might give them a smile but be careful as there are heaps of Army trucks cleaning up streets.

Otherwise if you still know people needing help, let me know and I will see who I can round up.