PDA

View Full Version : Quick dive

devocean
13-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Heard the vis was good od inclose so i took the tinny for the 2km run to the nearest islands off Bowen. Found the trout thick and managed to put together a good bag in no time. These two were probably the pick. I fully believe the fisheries got the closures wrng and they have spawned over the new moon in January as I have never seen the trout so thick and congregated.

Mick
14-01-2011, 01:31 AM
Thick Jacks too. I had 2 short stints off work but its a bit on and off again cos of rain. Another mate rang me yeasterday and said vis was good. Also told me he pulled a few crays from the rocky ledge between the leeds heading out of harbour?? Some at finger reef too in gloc. passage

devocean
14-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Thats who that was in the leeds. I got pulled up by some bloke at the Duck Hole and he gave me both barrels for diving in the leads. I told him it wasn't me but he swore it was me and said he was going to ring the fisheries on me! I have never seen the vis so good - bloody winds up today will definetly be heading out tomorrow as the rough weather seems to be having no effect on it.
That finger reef produces some big blueys!!!

MEG-A-BITE
14-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Looks like you going to have a good feed,,,yum.

Mick
15-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Thats who that was in the leeds. I got pulled up by some bloke at the Duck Hole and he gave me both barrels for diving in the leads. I told him it wasn't me but he swore it was me and said he was going to ring the fisheries on me! I have never seen the vis so good - bloody winds up today will definetly be heading out tomorrow as the rough weather seems to be having no effect on it.
That finger reef produces some big blueys!!!

Ha! That's a classic. Sorry you got the blame. Whoever it was that had a go at you, got it completely wrong cos the bloke diving was doing it out of one of his mother ships dory. I'll tell you more about it when i finally get to catch up with you.
Hey, my mate also told me that he has been cleaning under his trout boat in the harbour lately (cos its so clean) and he said the duck hole is over flowing with crays?? Big ones are walking on the bottom and heeps of little white feelers all through the rock walls. Maybe they are breeding in the duck hole?? Thats why he was diving the rock ledge.

D river
17-01-2011, 05:51 AM
Have you guys tried spot light at night out of tinny for crays? kicks ass ey as lond as there is no wind which is rare at bowen but they are out n walking every where in shallow water at night and r attracted to the spotty. use either a home made 14ft big headed hand spear or cast net or scoop net

Mick
17-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Not so much me but devocean has done heeps

boney-leg
17-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Have you guys tried spot light at night out of tinny for crays?

I thought there was a law about spearing with a spot light ... has that changed or did I dream that:P??

D river
18-01-2011, 06:13 AM
Spoke to fisho's about it a few times and got mixed answers some say its like chasing squid as I'm still in the boat not actualy "spearing" as such but others say its a no go so the way I see it if I'm out chasing squid with a light and get some cray as a by catch its all good as we are alowed to spear cray up here. In airlie 1 night fishos and marine parks went past us and waved they didn't even come over too us which we thought was wierd, they must of been keen to get home. Being night time we didn't know it was them till they were right next to us.

Defore
18-01-2011, 01:41 PM
If you are in a boat using a spear, you are spearing.

You can not spear with a light in a limited spearfishing area. It does not matter if you are in the water, in a boat or standing on dry land.

Moreton Bay Marine Park and Great Barrier Reef Marine Park

"Limited spearfishing is allowed in the General Use (Light Blue), Habitat Protection (Dark Blue) and Conservation Park (Yellow) Zones."

"Limited spearfishing means fishing with a spear or speargun, NOT using a powerhead, or firearm, a light or underwater breating apparatus other than a snorkel. "

You can spotlight and dive in and grab them. ;D

Outside a limited spearfishing area you are not allowed to use a powerhead (except for protection against sharks) or underwater breating apparatus other than a snorkel.
It doesn't say anything about using a light, so it must be OK.

Ian

boney-leg
18-01-2011, 04:46 PM
If you are in a boat using a spear, you are spearing.

"Limited spearfishing is allowed in the General Use (Light Blue), Habitat Protection (Dark Blue) and Conservation Park (Yellow) Zones."

That covers everywhere within the GBR doesn't it? http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/10678/mpz_31.pdf Only place without limited spearfishing is obviously off the shelf up this way.

If you read the bag limit pamphlets they don't say anything about limited spearfishing - just the bit about powerheads and breathing gear. It becomes really hard when you try to do the right thing but the correct info is hard to find. I went on to DPI's site and searched spearfishing and there was no mention about 'limited'. I googled it and found a random page of definitions from their site. I reckon you could ask 10 fisheries officers and probably get 10 different answers or interpretations :P

It's good to see they didn't nail ya - another win to the good guys.

Defore
19-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Boney-leg totally agree.

I had to do a search about using a light while spearing, knew it wasn't allowed but couldn't remember where I had read it.

That is the trouble when lots of different government departments make decisions, we are left to try and figure it out to stay within the law :-?

How is the diving off the shelf ;D

Ian

devocean
19-01-2011, 04:27 PM
I only go spot lighting for black tip reef sharks.... If I happen to see a few crays I mark it down on the GPS and go get em in the morning

flyer912
12-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Do you have to have a licence and registration for the power head like other firearms.

boney-leg
12-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Sure do Flyer!!