PDA

View Full Version : Floods - is town water cut in flooded suburbs?

TheRealAndy
13-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Sorry to put this in General Fishing, but just trying to get max exposure.

I am going around to help clean up houses on the weekend. Just wondering if town water will be available or if we need to find a large water tank.

IF not available, does anyone have one of those big square plastic water containers, ie the containers that they sometime use to transport chemicals?

Also, if anyone knows a supplier of cleaning chemicals and can get bulk detergent cheap that would be very handy.

FNQCairns
13-01-2011, 05:10 PM
still good water in the pipes and head to push it out, the problem will be if the treatment plant if inundated will need to start clearing the mess and may at that time push cruddy water through.

PinHead
13-01-2011, 07:58 PM
should be water available..I start tomorrow, gear we are taking:

generator
gerni
flood lights
shovels
large broom
disinfectant
welly boots
gloves
dettol
rags
AND...remember to take your own food along..there won't be any take away places in flood affected areas.

TheRealAndy
13-01-2011, 08:25 PM
should be water available..I start tomorrow, gear we are taking:

generator
gerni
flood lights
shovels
large broom
disinfectant
welly boots
gloves
dettol
rags
AND...remember to take your own food along..there won't be any take away places in flood affected areas.

The only thing I dont have that is needed is disinfectant/detergent. Working on that one now.

Fueled up the genset today, plus extra fuel. Pulled the gerni out and cleaned off the cobwebs. Tested the flood lights on the genni, need a new bulb for one of the flood lights. Emptied the water out of the wheel barrow.

Dont forget the first aid kit either.

Lucky_Phill
13-01-2011, 08:30 PM
From Campbell Newman late this arvo>>>>>>

Make no mistake, Brisbane is experiencing its greatest natural crisis in over a hundred years. Unlike the flood in 1974, the existence of the Wivenhoe Dam has helped absorb the vast majority of the floodwaters. If not for Wivenhoe we would have faced flooding the likes of which we cannot comprehend.

As I write this the flood is peaking at around 4.2 meters. At 4am this morning, the peak measured 4.46 metres. Although it was less than the 1974 flood, almost 12,000 residential properties and 2,500 commercial properties were flooded. The damage bill is enormous and tomorrow Brisbane will begin the massive clean-up operation and we need your support.

The Brisbane suburbs worst impacted by the flooding include: Brisbane City, St Lucia, West End, Rocklea, Graceville, Chelmer, Oxley, Fairfield, Toowong, South Brisbane, New Farm, Yeronga, Milton, Sherwood, Jindalee, Tennyson, Auchenflower, Sinnamon Park, Archerfield, Windsor, Taringa, Westlake, Fig Tree Pocket, Indooroopilly, Newstead, Sumner, Bulimba, Corinda, Coopers Plains, Albion, Norman Park, Paddington, Kenmore, East Brisbane, Coorparoo, Bellbowrie, Yeerongpilly, Riverhills, Woolloongabba, Seventeen Mile Rocks, Hawthorne, Darra, Moorooka, Bowen Hills, Pinkenba, Middle Park, Balmoral, Kangaroo Point, Mount Ommaney, Hamilton, Acacia Ridge, Highgate Hill, Willawong, Anstead, Jamboree Heights, Fortitude Valley, Salisbury, Hemmant, Greenslopes, Wacol, Chapel Hill, Herston, Brookfield, Pinjarra Hills, Karana Downs, Durack and Pullenvale.

Today I announced a detailed plan to tackle the massive clean-up operation. Brisbane will be divided into five areas with the initial priority on opening major roads and cleaning up debris left by retreating floodwaters. That way we can ensure safe access to your property.

There is still a considerable amount of water coming down the Brisbane River so beware. The first properties that flooded are likely to be the last properties from which flood waters will recede.

My message to people who abandoned their homes is not to be in any hurry to return to them. We first need to open transport routes to enable access. Also be careful with electricity. You should have a qualified electrician to clear your home of danger before you seek to use electrical equipment.

We desperately need anyone who owns a bobcat, dump truck, front-end loader, water tanker or other heavy equipment to give us a hand with the clean-up. Please don’t bother to offer if you are seeking payment. We are after genuine volunteers who want to help and we will promptly respond to advise you where you should take your equipment.

For those that can offer their services please email lordmayor@brisbane.qld.gov.au or contact Council on 07 3403 8888.

Other volunteers should email their services or phone Volunteering Queensland on 07 3002 7600. You can also register online at www.volunteeringqld.org.au (http://www.thewebconsole.com/process/link.php?lId=1379753&cId=723292)

My advice is you should first help those closest to where you live; neighbours, family, friends and people in the same suburb. If you are in a suburb that has not been affected by floodwaters, or you have no one to help, please contact us and we will tell you where to report to for assistance.

Buses
A limited number of bus services will be available tomorrow running about every 30 minutes in and out of the city. Do not use these services if you are not coming into the CBD for work or to help with the clean-up. These services are being put on to ensure key staff essential for services and flood response have travel options, with all other residents encouraged not to travel into the CBD.

Ferry services will not be operating until further notice due to debris in the river.

For further information on public transport and affected services, please visit the TransLink website at www.translink.com.au (http://www.thewebconsole.com/process/link.php?lId=1379757&cId=723292) or phone 13 12 30.

Waste services
Waste services will resume for a minority of the city tomorrow, with other parts of the city to follow next week. The delays are due to the impact of floodwaters on depots and homes. If you have had your rubbish collections missed, your collection will resume as usual next week. Council’s waste transfer stations will be open to the public for free tipping until 9pm.

Water
We have been advised by Queensland Urban Utilities that water in the greater Brisbane area is perfectly safe to drink. However sewage treatment plants are now discharging directly into our creeks and rivers, so people should stay out of floodwaters due to potential health risks. I repeat, do not let your children play in floodwater. It is unhealthy and contaminated with chemicals and sewerage. Please do not go through floodwaters to get to your property. It is better to let the water recede and then make the journey.

Electricity
Power cuts have meant that many traffic lights are out. Some of Council’s traffic cameras are also not functioning so traffic warnings will be limited. Please be careful on the roads as water may appear in areas you do not suspect.

Sandbags
So far Brisbane City Council has given out over 300,000 sandbags. We have another 65,000 bags available if they are required at our various depots.

Campbell Newman
LORD MAYOR

Contacts and information sources

Energex: 13 19 62
State Emergency Services (SES): 13 25 00
Translink: 13 12 30
Flood information hotline: 1300 993 191
For life-threatening emergencies: 000

Phone Council on 3403 8888 to report issues outside your property boundary such as flooding, downed trees, potholes, stormwater drain blockages or debris blocking roadways.

Due to high demand, Brisbane City Council is currently displaying a low bandwidth version of their website. www.brisbane.qld.gov.au (http://www.thewebconsole.com/process/link.php?lId=1379761&cId=723292)

TheRealAndy
13-01-2011, 09:04 PM
This is my mates street. This is where I am headed, hopefully tomorrow if the water drops enough.

Once again, if anyone can help with cleaning chemicals can you please PM me.

therapy
13-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Admirable as the efforts maybe, the low off Townsville may present new and increased danger for all who have flooded so far. I hope I am wrong but the worst seems to come if that low heads south-S/W. I sincerely hope I am wrong!!

Good luck to all affected....Terry....