PDA

View Full Version : swimbladder deflation ??

jason p
12-01-2011, 11:02 PM
whats the best way to deflate a swim bladder? had a google and sore some methods used for bass, would this be the same for reefies?
and will thje fish actually recover from this to live its normal life??

cheers for any info
jp

TheRealAndy
12-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Look for Gently Does It on youtube. There is some good info there. Plenty of studies been done to depths of 15m in QLD. Mortality rates tend to decrease with some species when barotrauma is delt with correctly. Yell out if you cant find the vids.

mmmouse
13-01-2011, 07:36 AM
i use a hyperdermic syringe needle up under the wing...shown to me by a pro trout fisherman, much less destructive than a knife up the date!!

thelump
13-01-2011, 03:18 PM
I watched a show on Bris31 fishing new zealand. On one episode they were catching snapper on dropper rigs and one ol mate was letting the smaller fish [he was about to release] swim just under the surface for a while before removing them from the water. He reckons it is like decompressing them. Dont know much else about it but it seems like a plausible theory?:-?

cheers jason

TheRealAndy
13-01-2011, 04:55 PM
The Genty does it DVD shows the use of hypodermic syringe, and where to insert it. They did mention dropper rigs, but there has only been limited research done using them.

Here is the vid.

7MAJxBYfUHQ

jason p
13-01-2011, 05:37 PM
very good andy thanks for that, very informative vid.
as i do throw quite a few fish back each trip, it would be nice to know that a large percentage of them will survive. i will have too master that venting technique, seem's to be the goods

hey lump sounds plausable and for the larger specimens i think the extra time put in would be well worth the extra effort.

sounds like your on the money there mmmouse

cheers 4 the info

jp

indy
13-01-2011, 05:52 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=166178