PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha cooling concerns

captain red beard
12-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Hi all. I have a 130hp yamaha 2 stroke v4 and when its running on the muffs the tell tale water never warms up. Just wondering if this is normal for this model.
I have tested the thermostats and seem to be working fine.
Any help would be appreciated.

D river
13-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Mate I have a 2003 model 130hp 2stroke saltwater series yam n my tell tail gets warm, I prob would not be concerned though as it is pumping water. It is warm when running in the water but or what?

dreemon
13-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Mine isnt hot when it's running but " on the muffs" when I shut the engine off the water is hot for the last dribbles

whiteman
13-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Agree with both above (115 Saltwater)

captain red beard
13-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. Won't be to concerned about it then.

HyyipIV
14-01-2011, 04:00 PM
your thermostats will not open intill engine temp reaches 80 or so degrees, water pump just pumps water out through tell tale and down through leg , but you should run your engine untill water flows warm, thermostats have opened to flush the powerhead

markbxy
14-01-2011, 04:20 PM
thats funny never heard of this being a problem with etecs;D
must be a 4stroke thing;D

HyyipIV
14-01-2011, 07:12 PM

Yes but that's because they never run long enough:'(

captain red beard
14-01-2011, 08:18 PM
I let the engine run for a fair while waiting for the water to warm up but it never does. Have felt the temps of the heads as they warm up, but the tell tale doesn't seem to get warm. Was thinking that the tell tale water on this model bypasses the engine and is just showing that the water pump is working.
Was thinking about putting in new thermostats but when I tested them they seem to work pretty spot on.
Any ideas what temp they should be opening.

mmmouse
15-01-2011, 07:10 AM
sorry mark....it's a 2 stroke!!!:D

Fed
15-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Different motor to yours Captain but my V4 Evinrude never gets hot either and I put it down to the way I flush it.
Firstly I tighten the muffs by squeezing them down on the concrete and belting them with a lump hammer because they always feel a bit too loose for me, maybe the next set i buy will be better.
Next I turn the tap on full rip so there's a huge amount of water spewing out the sides of the muffs when the motor is running because I never want to starve the motor of water. I've heard of people just 'cracking' the tap open a little and getting a suction happening at the muffs which isn't something I agree with.
Maybe I'm over flushing, could you be doing that too?
Next time I flush I'll try with the tap turned down just enough to keep positive water pressure on the muffs at idle speed to see if it warms up any more.
We could start a whole new thread just on how much to turn the tap on, get the popcorn ready.
A lifetime ago I was advised with Mercs not to use full rip on the tap to flush yet more recently when I went to Evinrude the advice was to give it heaps.
Was also told Mercs (Yammies) run high pressure/low volume and OMC run high volume so the advise above seems to make sense to me.

captain red beard
15-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Will give the tap thing a go next time and will also check it when out on the water. Haven't done so yet cause the engine is sort of mounted on a pod and is hard to reach. Plus to busy fishing.
Would be interesting to know in case my motor is not getting flushed properly. (thermostats not opening)

FishHunter
15-01-2011, 10:31 AM
I run the tap full open and after a few minutes running the telltale is warm if I leave it for 10 or 15 minutes the water out of the telltale is hot enough that you dont want it spraying on your feet.

Motor is a Evinrude V6

HyyipIV
15-01-2011, 08:53 PM
I let the engine run for a fair while waiting for the water to warm up but it never does. Have felt the temps of the heads as they warm up, but the tell tale doesn't seem to get warm. Was thinking that the tell tale water on this model bypasses the engine and is just showing that the water pump is working.
Was thinking about putting in new thermostats but when I tested them they seem to work pretty spot on.
Any ideas what temp they should be opening.

On the yammie 130hp 2 stroke the thermostats open at 48-52 degrees Celcius, also your overheat temp comes on at 84-90 degrees Celcius

Malcolm W
16-01-2011, 02:55 PM
On my second one of this motor ( 130 and 115 ) and never had a hot tell tale, even after a long trip.
I couldn't find a cooling system diagram, but I think its raw water to show the impeller is working well.

captain red beard
17-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. Checked it today at the ramp after a big run and it was cold. Must just be the way it is.
What is the max rpm I could expect from this engine?

HyyipIV
29-01-2011, 07:24 PM
max WOT for the 130 is 6000rpm with min of 5000rpm

ozscott
29-01-2011, 09:41 PM
93 Yam 115 V4 - telltale does not get hot, but does get warmish even with new water pump, stats and valve. As I say never hot or very warm though, just warmish.

Cheers

Sea-Dog
30-01-2011, 05:33 PM
You could always make/buy a flusher tank and see if the water warms up after 10 - 15 minutes of idling or so.

I made a flusher tank out of plywood and fibreglass on 6 castor wheels. It holds around 190L of water. I change the water after every third flush to ensure that not much salt builds up in the tank.