PDA

View Full Version : Best Knots for 60lb flurocarbon to braid

odes20
12-01-2011, 07:18 PM
We all know how hard fluorocarbon can be, and I am asking for advice on best knots for attaching it 50 lb braid. Any tips?

FishHunter
12-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Been using a Allbright for a while now and no problems as long as I make sure the knot is pulled up properly. rattles through the guides though so I am changing to wind on leaders.

Nicko_Cairns
12-01-2011, 07:46 PM
We all know how hard fluorocarbon can be, and I am asking for advice on best knots for attaching it 50 lb braid. Any tips?

Uni knot and use some superglue on the finished knot, they sell superglue with a brush now (selleys) works a treat.

Used this knot with 80lb braid onto 100lb leader last week and zero problems despite hooking some sharks, I tie it with a slight difference though, I use a couple of half hitches at the end, hard to explain if I find the knot online I'll post it but basically once you've tied the knot get the tag end of leader and tie a double half hitch, or triple half hitch, cinches up nicely. Hope this helps.

grave41
12-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Nicko,
That knot is the same as the pommies use for distance casting .McKellar the world champion uses it.;D I use the PR Knot it is the only knot for strenght and reliability.
IMO Graham

four_button_arnie
12-01-2011, 08:41 PM
cant beat a bimni twist to form a double and then use that double to tie an improved allbright, i use this on everything from 10lb to more commonly 130lb for jigging, i have NEVER (touch wood) had the line break at the knot.

Go the guides bimni (just use your hands, no legs/feet/knees etc, simple should only take like 20-30 secs to tie, well worth the effort. If your really lazt you can tie a spider hitch to form your double

my 2c
Josh

Horse
12-01-2011, 09:01 PM
I use an Improved Albright most of the time. I have tried a lot of others but come back to it for consistency and ease of use. I would be doing about 6 turns up and the same back down then it will not slip unless you are using a brand new line like Whiplash that is hard, thin and has a slippery coating. In that case pull out the Super Glue

trueblue
12-01-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm using a double for almost everything now.

then I like either the uni knot, or the albright with super glue, as mentioned above. I had gone away from the albright for quite a while, but was pointed in the direction of super glue when they kept failing, and no more problem (same as above, slippery whiplash)

I am really enjoying the slim beauty for mono double to game fishing leader, but haen't tried it in braid yet.

GPB
12-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Works with Braid too

Escape with LG
12-01-2011, 10:22 PM
FG knot mate just tie it the night before! once you learn it you will love it!

mmmouse
12-01-2011, 10:45 PM
i have gone away from tying doubles and now connect leader to braid with a slim beauty..strong as and goes thru the guides better than an albright..and haven't had any issues but have not tried it with flurocarbon

flatzie
13-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Whats wrong with the Yucatan knot you have been tying with so far?
Double made with a surgeons knot or Three turn Water Knot (UK Lingo)and then the Yucatan, havent ever had it let go. Have you?
Flatzie?

Richard
13-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Yeah I used to use a bimini to an improved albright but now still go with a bimini but now join it with a slim beauty.. finds it goes through the runners a bit better, deosn't tend to work it's way undone like the albright can after it goes throug hthe runners a heap of times. I used to stop that problem though with a dob of superglue (with the brush like Nicko suggested)

diabolical
13-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Been using a Allbright for a while now and no problems as long as I make sure the knot is pulled up properly. rattles through the guides though so I am changing to wind on leaders.

I'm doing the same. Do you make your wind ons or buy them? In the short term I'll buy a few and will start making some when I get some gear together. I am keen to make a few 100m topshots with wind-on connections for livebaiting and trolling.

eureka
13-01-2011, 07:10 PM
try the sebille knot just type it into youtube theres a great demo been using it for 6 months now with out any failures and after a bit of practice you can ty one in 20 seconds slimest knot I've used for casting well on par with a windon leader

Tinlegs
13-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Another vote for wind on leaders - a bit of stuffing about making them at home but a very quick connection when at sea.

And with all this weather I've made a heap of them ;)

Tangles
13-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Easiest or the best? Its a holden or Ford debate but my 2 cents:

Easiest for a double would be Harros quickie double and whatever your comfortable tying to that,

Easiest for no double, a Harro Knot

Best, i reckon either the FG or PR knot, great to cast with and makes doubles redundant, for the PR knot you will need a 25 buck bobbin but pretty simple to tie once you get the hang of it, I can get my head around the PR knot so thats what i do,

mike

Willo
13-01-2011, 08:16 PM
The Slim Beauty
Its a great knot, and especially for casting ,because of it shape it less likely to catch the guides on casts
Been using it for awhile now with out any problems
Willo

devocean
13-01-2011, 08:34 PM
FG knot is by far the best and strongest joining knot for big braid. I use it up to 140lb leader for chasing big GTs on my stella outfit and albrights and unis are to big and cumbersome and destroy your guides. The FG is the most slim line knot available for joining big leaders.

odes20
15-01-2011, 12:02 AM
After reading many comments and recommendations, and trying heaps, I remind us all that my question was specifically about the harder 60 lb fluro leader which does not cinch up easily, Softer leader material is much easier to cinch up when tying knots. I have found that the knots which have a minimum requirement for the tough hard fluoro to twist up tight work best. The simplest for me is the is the ALBRIGHT knot . Having said that I have watched youtub and seen several versions of this knot but the one which is most suitable is the one where the leader is simply doubled back on itself and then wrapped up and back with braid. It ends up a slim knot with no cinching up necessary of the leader.
Check this link.
http://www.adventurebound.com.au/reviews/gear/how_to_-_improved_albright_knot.html

Or this
http://www.marinews.com/Albright-Knot-221.php

On another note I am baffled why the Slim beauty is called such as it is as lumpy as any I have seen with the bigger leader material. Also the Uni Knot is lumpy with big fluorocarbon as well.
Not saying it wont hold, its just not slim.
Cheers

odes20
15-01-2011, 07:11 AM
Easiest or the best? Its a holden or Ford debate but my 2 cents:

Easiest for a double would be Harros quickie double and whatever your comfortable tying to that,

Easiest for no double, a Harro Knot

Best, i reckon either the FG or PR knot, great to cast with and makes doubles redundant, for the PR knot you will need a 25 buck bobbin but pretty simple to tie once you get the hang of it, I can get my head around the PR knot so thats what i do,

mike

I checked the FG and PR knot out .
They are great knots, but my prob is most of my fishing with heavy leader is offshore deep reef where we may need to replace leaders on any of the rods on a trip up to ten times in total or even more occasionally.

And with fish biting and other people in the boat who cant tie knots I need all the simlicity I can get.

The FG and PR are a bit complex for that. But thanks as I have never seen those before.

Cheers

devocean
15-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Odes I am not saying the albright won't work but when you start fishing heavy there is a natral progression to learning to tie harder knots. This is all part of the fishing. The FG is by far 100 times more reliable then the albright and when you have that trophy fish on mate you will be glad you practiced it. Good practice when the wind is up

Willo
15-01-2011, 10:55 AM
After reading many comments and recommendations, and trying heaps, I remind us all that my question was specifically about the harder 60 lb fluro leader which does not cinch up easily, Softer leader material is much easier to cinch up when tying knots. I have found that the knots which have a minimum requirement for the tough hard fluoro to twist up tight work best. The simplest for me is the is the ALBRIGHT knot . Having said that I have watched youtub and seen several versions of this knot but the one which is most suitable is the one where the leader is simply doubled back on itself and then wrapped up and back with braid. It ends up a slim knot with no cinching up necessary of the leader.
Check this link.
http://www.adventurebound.com.au/reviews/gear/how_to_-_improved_albright_knot.html

Or this
http://www.marinews.com/Albright-Knot-221.php

On another note I am baffled why the Slim beauty is called such as it is as lumpy as any I have seen with the bigger leader material. Also the Uni Knot is lumpy with big fluorocarbon as well.
Not saying it wont hold, its just not slim.
Cheers

Yeh Odes20

Heres a pic of 60lb Berkly Vanish FC leader to 30lb Whiplash braid.its under Marco magnification so do be to critical of my slopy tieing of it ..LOL
But to the naked eye it does not look lumpy ,to me anyway..LOL
Willo

reggy
15-01-2011, 11:42 AM
I now use an improved or locked albright. I have had no problems even when I used a standard albright. Simple, quick, reliable and unobtrusive.

You are never going to get more strength than the breaking strain of the lines you are joining.

odes20
15-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Odes I am not saying the albright won't work but when you start fishing heavy there is a natral progression to learning to tie harder knots. This is all part of the fishing. The FG is by far 100 times more reliable then the albright and when you have that trophy fish on mate you will be glad you practiced it. Good practice when the wind is up

Yep I love learning new knots, no prob there

Cant see though how the FG could be 100 times more reliable seeing the Albright is regarded by all as reliable?

Horse
16-01-2011, 08:10 AM
I think any knot that you have to hold your mouth a certain way and stick your right toe in your left ear has no place in my fishing style. A knot that has to be done at home is not suitable for most general fishing situations. I tried various leader knots in direct pull against the Improved Albright and nothing consistently beat it. This was at a time when a couple of Albrights had slipped on me using new 65lb Whiplash.
I think it best to use something you can tie well and quite easily and unless into some extreme application like popping BIG GTs I would look no further than an Albright or Slim Beauty

Escape with LG
16-01-2011, 08:48 AM
I have done some testing comparing an FG knot to a bimini/improved albirght.

using the same leader and braid......

Every time the imprved albight snapped at the knot, and everytime the FG knot snapped the leader.

Now i forget the sizes of the main line and leader that i used but the results were someting like the albright snapped at the knot at like 10kgs and the FG snapped the leader at 18kgs

Food for thought!

Like i said before FG all the way, great for casting and super strong...

Cheers Luke

odes20
16-01-2011, 12:09 PM
I think any knot that you have to hold your mouth a certain way and stick your right toe in your left ear has no place in my fishing style. A knot that has to be done at home is not suitable for most general fishing situations. I tried various leader knots in direct pull against the Improved Albright and nothing consistently beat it. This was at a time when a couple of Albrights had slipped on me using new 65lb Whiplash.
I think it best to use something you can tie well and quite easily and unless into some extreme application like popping BIG GTs I would look no further than an Albright or Slim Beauty

So Horse is an Improved Albright one with the braid being used to lock off the initial knot.

Cheers
John

AmrK87
16-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Fg .

Horse
16-01-2011, 01:59 PM
So Horse is an Improved Albright one with the braid being used to lock off the initial knot.

Cheers
John

You can find it if you look up the Hint & Tips tabs for the animated knots section at the top off the page. The original Albright had the tag end locked under the main line so it came out of the knot in the opposite direction.
If anyone reckons they are getting only 50% out of an Albright connection then they are not tying it correctly.
The biggest issues with it are not strength or bulk but the fact that the leader tag faces into the guides when casting and can clunk a bit

Daintreeboy
16-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Odes have you tried the Yucatan with Fluorocarbon? I reckon it will still work.
I reckon it is far superior to the albright by a country mile and swear by it. Much quicker, much slimmer, very strong and you can slice the mono off the braid to keep the braid loop if you start getting a bit short on the leader if you like.

I gave up on the albright many years ago in favour of the Yucatan and have never looked back. Not sure if it will work with Flurocarbon but worth a shot.

Strewth
16-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Everyone has their favourite knot but, unfortunately, very few have been tested to destruction. Paul van Gaal (Goggle Paulus Just Fishing) is the only one I know who has attempted to assess the true performance of all the common leader knots. Not a simple business, especially in view of the fact that only a handful of braids and leaders break at their stated load (hence making true knot strength difficult to measure). He will test your knots if you send them to him, and the results can be rather sobering......

Braid has much more trouble gripping fluoro than mono due to its hard coating. It has been my experience that, for heavy work, good quality mono (eg Schneider) is the easier, cheaper and more reliable option with little effect on catch rates.

In my view the slim beauty is not too slim at all for heavy work, due to the need to tie a "figure of eight" in the leader. Properly tied it can be used without a double and can be cut close to the knot, but you still end up with a "ball" of leader material that can rattle through the guides. The smallest and strongest knot for me is the Ted Donelan's leader knot with a 50-turn Bimini (which must be loaded to bed it down before doing the knot). It looks like an Albright but has only one tag end instead of two. I use this knot for bream leaders through to tuna and barra leaders with great results under repeated casting. Takes about 2 minutes to tie, with the longest part (for me) being the Bimini.

odes20
17-01-2011, 12:24 PM

Can't understand the rave about the FG mate. It takes forever to tie and has been tested with significant failures by Paulus Just Fishing and not recommended?

He also says the Slim Beauty is poorly named as its not slim. Have a read on the link to see his reports.

http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/4knotReview.htm

Cheers
John

GPB
17-01-2011, 01:21 PM
You have asked for the best knots and you got answers from people that use the different knots mentioned, by all means listen to Paulus [I do] on his testing, but he has not used the FG knot over time in the field, it takes a bit of practise just like anything else.
The 'Slim' Beauty is a tapered knot and one of my favorites, maybe it's just slimmer than some, who gives a shite about a name as long as it works, ask Peter Pakula what his favorite knot is;)

smoked
17-01-2011, 04:12 PM
cant go wrong with an fg knot

odes20
17-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Putting up this thread has helped me heaps to find not only new knots but also make some decisions. One thing I found today is that a Surgeons Loop fails significanltly with heavier braid.
I tried it with daiwa Saltiga Braid and also a cheaper braid and it failed real quick.

I am going to use an Improved Albright for now as it doesnt need a double, so its really quick to tie and could be called slim.

Also joining 55lb braid to 60 lb Flouro with this Impoved Albright has given me the quickest to tie at sea and is quite a low profile.
The FG is truly a beautiful knot.

Jees, GPB IMO a name as descriptive as slim does leave the impression that it should be so??? If it was called a Fat Ugly you would think it was fat would we not LOL?
My brother uses it all the time and swears by it, and I have used it.

There is another knot which I have been using for a couple of years using mono leaders that are softer. I eventually found a version of it called the NO Name Knot? Thats weird as well.
But I have been using this knot but a bit improved by winding the leader tag back along over itself before completing. This knot has the leader line being wrapped over the braid double. The reason I started this thread was this knot wont work with heavier stiff fluorocafbon as it wont twist and cinch up like the softer mono leader material. Have a look if you like.

http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/how-to-tie-a-no-name-fishing-knot

Cheers
John