PDA

View Full Version : Gps Antennas

maurie
11-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi all,

I have read somewhere that if a GPS unit is mounted in a position where it has a clear view of the sky then an internal or built in antenna would be OK but if the unit is to be mounted close to a windscreen or in an enclosed area then an external antenna is required.

I will be mounting mine on top of the dash board behind the windsreen and under a "Soft Canopy" so it dosn't exactly have a clear view of the sky.......

Can anyone let me know if they have A GPS with an internal antenna set up in similar circumstances and if it works OK?

Cheers
Maurie.:-?

Pazz01
11-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Hey mate

We have just mounted a new GPS in our boat with an internal antenna, and it is mounted under our canopy and does not have clear view of the sky. And it worked all sweet last week.

So I think you should be fine.

Pazz

FishHunter
11-01-2011, 10:15 AM
U
Hi all,

I have read somewhere that if a GPS unit is mounted in a position where it has a clear view of the sky then an internal or built in antenna would be OK but if the unit is to be mounted close to a windscreen or in an enclosed area then an external antenna is required.

I will be mounting mine on top of the dash board behind the windsreen and under a "Soft Canopy" so it dosn't exactly have a clear view of the sky.......

Can anyone let me know if they have A GPS with an internal antenna set up in similar circumstances and if it works OK?

Cheers
Maurie.:-?
They work through car windscreens and roofs so why not a bimini?

maurie
11-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Hey mate

We have just mounted a new GPS in our boat with an internal antenna, and it is mounted under our canopy and does not have clear view of the sky. And it worked all sweet last week.

So I think you should be fine.

Pazz
Thanks mate that's what I thought.

Moonlighter
11-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Hi Maurie

My previous boat was same as yours and I had GPS with internal ant on the dash - no dramas.

My current boat is similar except it has an alloy hardtop, and is still fine. Even the dealer tried to tell me I'd need an ext antenna but my Lowrance HDS5m GPS with internal antenna works perfectly.

I'd be very surprised if you had any dramas.

Cheers

ML

Kevaclone
11-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Hi Maurie

My previous boat was same as yours and I had GPS with internal ant on the dash - no dramas.

My current boat is similar except it has an alloy hardtop, and is still fine. Even the dealer tried to tell me I'd need an ext antenna but my Lowrance HDS5m GPS with internal antenna works perfectly.

I'd be very surprised if you had any dramas.

Cheers

ML

The GPS receivers today are far better than those of even 5 years ago

A bimini top would have minimal effect on the signals getting to the GPS.
these are just radio singals. A metal hard top would affect it some but there will still be signals coming in from the sides

One thing an external antenna would do is get a much better signal in overcast/cloudy/stormy weather due to their higher gain and full view of the sky

rocklobster
11-01-2011, 08:43 PM
I have a Raymarine A- 50 with an internal antenna under a large soft top canopy and have never had a problem

SatNav
12-01-2011, 07:51 AM
"One thing an external antenna would do is get a much better signal in overcast/cloudy/stormy weather due to their higher gain and full view of the sky"

1. Overcast/cloudy/stormy weather have basically no affect on GPS performance

2. The bimini will have little to no affect on signal but other factors with a dash mounted unit will certainly affect performance.

honda900
12-01-2011, 01:32 PM
I have a garmin, and a HDS unit both with internal antennas, both work fine in my half cab, behind the windscreen, under the canopy. the late model units with internal antennas are much better than they used to be.

I do have an external antenna as well, that I use with the garmin, I see no difference in available satellites in any configuration.

Regards
HOnda.