PDA

View Full Version : 2005 60HP Yammies any thoughts?

Lovey80
11-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Can anyone give some info on the 2005 60HP yammies? Good points, bad points, fuel figures. How do they compare to the later Fuel Injected models?

Cheers

Chris

thelump
11-01-2011, 07:23 AM
If your talking 4 strokes then i had an 03 model one which would be similar (ie carby) it was a bit hard to start first up but other than that went well with no issues. I never did a fuel trial as I didnt have a GPS. My boat had a 70 litre tank which used to do about 3 offshore trips (I would guess 40-50km per trip) and I would refill. Usually taking about 40-50 litres. So maybe 3km per litre???:-? It was pushing a Freedom Angler which is a whole other scary story.

mmmouse
11-01-2011, 08:36 AM
i had an '02 60 yammy 4 stroke, also carburetted. motor was awesome extremely fuel efficient...on my 520 quintrex dory i could get 35nm to one 25l tank, thats just shy of 3km/l.

the trim motor developed a slight leak which to fix with genuine parts would have been about $900 as u need to replace the whole rod and eyeto buy tha seal but the mechanic at quintrex in bundy where i was working knew the seal size and was able to replace just the seal at a cost of about $5

i also did a lot of trolling and the motor would "make" oil. i found out that yammy's like to be run hard and hot and don't like slow running for extended periods of time as fuel will bypass the rings and make its way into the sump.

renew the thermostat every year or 2 and if u spend a long time trolling give the motor a good blat on the way to try and burn some of that fuel out of the oil. it is a known problem but is not an issue if u keep an eye on the dipstick and change the oil a bit more often if ur worried about it. it doesn't take much fuel in the oil to raise the level on the dipstick as the top of the sump(where the d/stick comes in) narrows up very quickly.

make sure u run a 10micron filter before the motor

apparently there were a lot of people eagerly awaiting the release of the fuel injected 60 after seeing hwo good the carbied ones were, but were dissapointed as the new ones were not as fuel efficient as the old ones.

i have logged 80 000 nautical miles driving commercial boats with yamaha 4 strokes. problems have been few, i will be replacing my old 200 mariner with a yammy 4 stroke soon. they are a good motor...just keep on top of scheduled servicing and u shouldn't have a problem....good luck!!

greyfox
11-01-2011, 02:34 PM
I've got a 60 hp two stroke on my boat but it is an earlier model motor. I don't get out to often and maybe it's the reason it takes a while to initially start the motor but no problems after that. The one glitch is the tilt pump corroding through on the side facing the stern of the boat. Not cheap to fix but better than a new motor. Seems to take forever to finish bleeding the air out of the system. I carry a small bottle of oil in the boat to bleed the system whenever there seems to be a problem with the pump lifting the motor. I found it best to fully lift the motor and then top up the reservoir. I've got mates who have struck the same problem with corrosion.

mmmouse
11-01-2011, 05:01 PM
just remembered another thing.... in my boat and another i drove up in seisia cape york (mine with 2002 carburreted 60 4 stroke and the other with 2007 fuel injected 60 4 stroke...both yammy's) had to replace the trim motor relay at a cost of about $380...same thing on both, motor would trim up but not down.

Lovey80
11-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yes I was refering to the fourstroke engines.

Cheers

Keep em coming if you have them

Cheers

Waraba Mick
11-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Hi chris, i purchased one new when they were released in 2002 and parted with it in 2009, in that time i was very impressed with it.
Mine was the carb model and it was the best out board i have owned to date.

Nice and smooth, excellant fuel economy, and very user friendly.
Going back to a 2 stroke was a bit of a shock.

Mick.