PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Protection

bigdonk
10-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Hi all,
Ok im too Lazy to do a search, and im stuck indoors. Ive got a new boat package and ive been obsessed with cleaning the boat and motor but i want to do more with the trailer... what is the best thing i can do to protect the trailer?? Apart from the obvious washing everything (including the inside of the bar work)..

What do you do to your trailer how often etc...

Cheers BD8-)

BOMBIE
10-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Mate ,when I first get a new rig ,take boat off trailer,then as long as the trailer is clean, spray it with lanoguard, chassis, springs, shackles, the lot that goes under, then on its B/day, pressure clean it ,then do it again, only one prob here is the dirt tracks we have that make it look dirty ,but at least its coated.

Moonlighter
10-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm with Bombie - I coated my new trailer with lanolin too - I used Ozspray industry extra grade, bought a 5 l container and used a garden pressure sprayer to get it up inside all of the RHS as well as outside. Brushed the lanolin on the outside - better than spraying and doesnt use as much.

Also, for some reason the trailer spirings wer not gal so I painted them all over with a thick coat of Lanolin grease and so far, after 6 months, they are looking good.

Just as an aside, I also did exactly the same thing with my previous boat trailer, and sold it after 10 years with no rust visible anywhere on the trailer. Same as Bombie, I recoated it every year or so. The road grime sticks to the lanolin so it looks grubby, but a bit of degreaser and hit it with the Gurni and there's clean metal underneath, ready to recoat.

Cheers

Ml

Blackened
10-01-2011, 01:32 PM
G'day

If you'd like something that lasts and is typically sensational, go and find a tin of Valvoline Tectyl 506, a thick coating of this is all you will need every 18 mths.

Dave

TheRealAndy
10-01-2011, 04:04 PM
G'day

If you'd like something that lasts and is typically sensational, go and find a tin of Valvoline Tectyl 506, a thick coating of this is all you will need every 18 mths.

Dave

+1.

This is the stuff they use on aircraft. I use it on my trailer.

I have heard lanolin based products can expedite the corrosion of the zinc plating, so might be best to avoid them on gal surfaces (although I have never had an issue.

Squidlet
10-01-2011, 04:47 PM
+1.

This is the stuff they use on aircraft. I use it on my trailer.

I have heard lanolin based products can expedite the corrosion of the zinc plating, so might be best to avoid them on gal surfaces (although I have never had an issue.

Question where do you get this stuff and what actually is it?
Cheers squid!

Kero
10-01-2011, 05:36 PM
G'day

Dave

I'm about to do mine with this stuff. I got the Tectyl 506 in pressure packs to do the insides of the trailer. I also got a 4L tin of, what appears to be the same stuff, 3M Rust Proof to brush on. Apparently it dries to a brown coloured wax coating, wont be pretty but will last longer.

TheRealAndy
10-01-2011, 05:38 PM
I think you can get tectyl 506 from supercheap nowdays. Otherwise any industrial paint / coatings store should have it.

Not sure what it is, but its a translucent brown liquid that sets to wax when applied.

deckie
11-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Yep the translucent brown stuff is Tectyl which is a petroleum wax and its ok..been around a long time but messy and if u arnt the tidy type you're gonna be amazed at how your new trailer suddenly looks :(. The spray cans are absolute dogs to use coz they choke and splutter bad, but good for the axel/springs/ubolts around the backs of wheels etc.
In the pic thats tectyl on new axle/springs etc on a 25-30yo trailer being redone and kept in great nick by regular fishoil over its time. Fishoil still rules as far as i'm concerned. Ask a trailerguy and they still say the same thing. Picks up a bit of road grime but so does everything thats any good. Try to get anything u use inside any box sections/corners and especially welds which can rust out from the inside pretty fast. The nut side of any gal bolts go fast so hit those hard, especially any bolts thru the gal section itself. GOOD fishoil not the crap they sell in $2 cans at supercrap auto.

Skusto
11-01-2011, 09:08 AM
hi i coated with a lanalin based product and after a about a year was reacting with the gav and going white now all i do is spray with inox now and again.

bevan

TimD
11-01-2011, 12:44 PM
I contacted lanotec when i first got my boat as i was planning to spray the trailer with there heavy duty liquid lanolin, this was there reply

Hi Tim,
Yes you can use the heavy duty product on your trailer, 2 considerations..

1. If your trailer is new, i will recommend our Lanotec Type A grease (heat the lanolin grease and paint it on) reason being, recently they changed the galvanising process for trailers (to make it cheaper) and we have found that a few protectant products including ours reacts with the galvanising which can cause a breakdown of the coating.

2. Old trailer, around 3-4 years old no problems, the heavy duty liquid lanolin will do a great job.

Regards
Paul Smart
National Sales Manager
Lanotec Australia Pty Ltd
Phone: 07 3373 3700
Fax: 07 3373 3777
Mobile: 0411 639 994
Email: pauls@lanotec.com.au
Web: www.lanotec.com.au (http://www.lanotec.com.au/)

I took Paul's advice and used the melted Type A grease and it worked a treat on my trailer

cheers tim :)

bigdonk
11-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Hi Tim,

How did you go about heating the lanolin grease? Im guessing the Microwave is out?? lol;D
Did you leave it out i the sun or heated it up more than that..?

cheers BD 8-)

Blackened
11-01-2011, 04:49 PM
G'day

Tectyl in the tins, Autobarn has it at capalaba, repco may still have some. Just do a ring around :)

Anyone who stocks valvoline will be able to get a hold of it.

Dave

TimD
11-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Hi Tim,

How did you go about heating the lanolin grease? Im guessing the Microwave is out?? lol;D
Did you leave it out i the sun or heated it up more than that..?

cheers BD 8-)

Just grab a hairdryer or heat gun mate ;)

cheers tim :)

tunaticer
11-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Shell have a product called Ensis Fluid and comes in 3 grades, the higher the grade the thicker and more resilient the product is. It can be sprayed with a kero gun or pressure gun in the heavy grade or a normal spray gun in the lighter grades. It self heals any stone damages on the next warm day which is a big bonus, plus it penetrates deeply into the steel.
I sprayed one side of some 1.2mm zinc annealed steel ten yrs ago and within three summer months the other side had a coating from penetrating through the metal.

D river
12-01-2011, 06:11 AM
my old boys trailer is older than me n not gal he welded the rails shut so no holes for water to get in and before welding on last plates poured sump oil mixed with little bit of diesel in them then welded completely shut. in 35yrs the main trailer rails are still there never needed any more than a wash. The diesel helps the oil get into the steel and the whole trailer only needed about 5L of mix and make sure you do all rails cross members too. Use the spray ons for springs and axle etc.