PDA

View Full Version : Optimax Cowl

bigjimg
09-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Going up to the dam this weekend and had the cowl off the motor to make sure all was good.While lifting off the cowl I noticed the latch handle was a bit loose,all was not well as the backing plate,which is bonded to the cowl,was shattered.Luckily all the bits were floating around in the lower cowl,so I took it down to the Merc dealer down the road for them to see if the part was available.Well it is not a spare part and is part of the cowl,$1200 bucks for a new cowl.No worries,epoxied all the bits back into place and got some epoxy resin and some woven mat and I can say it will never break again.The resin cost me $32 and also got some epoxy filler for a couple of little bits where the latch spindle goes through.Job done.I hear you asking how it broke well let me say this I never broke it and there is a witness mark directly below the latch but not obvious until you have a good look.My guess at the last service I had done that required me to do up the bolts on the leg when I got home>:( .Not going to name names,I can't prove a thing.Just luck I could fix it.Also the latch hook on the cowl was back to front,probably from factory.Motor is 06 bought new 08.Jim

leelee
09-01-2011, 09:44 PM
That is no good. Your Bio stats you liv in moorooka. If that is still the case was it serviced by a dealer about 5-10 mins from you? If so I understand your pain. My pain cost me $750 and the problem was not fixed.

Cheers

Lee

bigjimg
10-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Lee,no it wasn't the one 5mins down the road that did the service,but was where I took it for them to look see.While they are handy and Trevor is a good bloke the $ part for me is the bit that stops me.Mate if Nitro Marine wasn't so far away that is where it would go.Where I bought the boat from by the way.Just Sh@ts me that it seems no one can be trusted to look after your gear when getting a service.Don't know where she'll go for the 200hr service.Might look into mobile mechanic,at least I can be there.Jim

bigjimg
10-01-2011, 06:29 PM
That is no good. Your Bio stats you liv in moorooka. If that is still the case was it serviced by a dealer about 5-10 mins from you? If so I understand your pain. My pain cost me $750 and the problem was not fixed.

Cheers

Lee750 bucks geez that would be hard to swallow.What was the problem for you?Jim

leelee
10-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Lee,no it wasn't the one 5mins down the road that did the service,but was where I took it for them to look see.While they are handy and Trevor is a good bloke the $ part for me is the bit that stops me.Mate if Nitro Marine wasn't so far away that is where it would go.Where I bought the boat from by the way.Just Sh@ts me that it seems no one can be trusted to look after your gear when getting a service.Don't know where she'll go for the 200hr service.Might look into mobile mechanic,at least I can be there.Jim

Mate I have taken mine to Disco Marine. Its a fair hike down to Grafton, but well worth it. Doubt I will let anyone else touch my Merc now. These guys know everything there is to know about Mercs and quite a few QLD's are starting to do the trip south for a service.

Whilst it might seem far, if you book it in for a Friday service, get down there super early, it should be finished for you same day. Then whilst you are down there make a weekend of it. Nice holiday spot of fishing at Yamba etc.

750 bucks geez that would be hard to swallow.What was the problem for you?Jim

I am not going to go into it, lets just say i will never go back there and when i got the boat back I had to rewire the switches because when I turned on the nav lights the livewell pump turned on. Took it for a run afterwards and bang first go stuffed up. Took it back 3 times and 3 times i was told it was fixed. Nope it wasn't. Never going back to them ever, not for parts, oil or anything. Great Service and value for money NOT>:(

Took it to Disco and it was serviced and fixed within 2 days. It was actually the slave starter, i think that’s what it was. Covered by warranty. Worth the trip really. The guys at Disco now get my business all the time.

Cheers

Lee