PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket help at Caloundra

ifishcq1
09-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Hi Guys

Just did a head gasket in my discovery yesterday at Caloundra
It is urgent that I get home to Yeppoon asap does anyone know a good mechanic that can get it fixed quickly
any good suggestions or advice would be very welcome after a pretty tragic week

cheers

FNQCairns
09-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Just a thought, if urgent.

Change the oil I assume this is where it's leaking?? regardless carry some spare water but keep the radiator cap unpressurized.

After a investigation period, obviously as the manor of these things can be large, but one can 9 out of10 times drive around OZ without doing greater damage.

It was good growing up in the easy era that I did, wouldn't have got to test these type of things if it was today.

ifishcq1
09-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks FNQ
I was losing water very quickly and as soon as the temp gauge moved I topped the reservoir up and it is taking 3-4 ltr every few kms
it put so much pressure into the reservior it split so I can't get it anywhere until fixed
Cheers

FNQCairns
09-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Oh Ok, well that's a big leak so decreases your chances some, still your choice if no solid water is entering the sump, without pressure you need only to protect yourself from a further overheat due to a lack of water.

If you block the overflow off to the reservoir by doubling over the tube with a zip tie etc and keep the radiotor cap always only just sitting unpressuried, it will not pump any water out directly.

You may get some further decrease in water level due to gas escape though the cooling system but that's handle-able by paying full attention to the temperature gauge. Odds are that once the pressure is taken away the whole situation will calm right out, unless the original cause was actually a relatively sudden loss of water from a failure of the water pump or an external gasket/ heavily cracked head, but if it remains nothing more than a simple blown head gasket then decreasing system pressure will pull up most symptoms.

Depending on the full diagnosis when at your destination you may need to get a cooling system flush as part of the total repair process but hey.

Cheers and good luck, how you going to get home past Rocky and surrounds?

ifishcq1
09-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks FNQ

when we can get to Gladstone I can leave the car there and jump on the Freedom fast cat back to Yeppoon $110 per head
they are running services each day while we are cut off
I have mates in Gladdy where I can leave the car so it won't be so bad

cheers

Bros
09-01-2011, 10:58 AM
You have bigger problems than just a head gasket as head gaskets don't just fail there will be a reason like head corrosion, overheating and warping, crack so you are looking at a longer job.

A decent mechanic will not replace a head gasket without a surface grind on the head.

You won't be getting home soon any how as you can't get past Gympie.

Stuart
09-01-2011, 01:03 PM
If the temp has got very hot before the head gasket went then I would say you may just require a new gasket but I would also suggest you get it checked out once home. But being diesel it may be a bit worse than expected.