PDA

View Full Version : Fish ID????

5Bucks
08-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Hi guys,
This fish came up in a bait basket in a drop net, S/E of South Australia (near Vic border), and I've never seen anything like it! It's a real deep red/maroon colour, and the fins on it are like intricate lace, they are full of holes, but look incredible! It has like a crown on its head that looks much like a webbed foot, and two little whisker like feet on either side. Seems to be a bottom dweller, but just wondered what it might be. It's only about 2.5-3 inches long.

stue2
08-01-2011, 07:04 PM
looks like a version of an indian fish that are trawelled up by prawn trawers in shark bay except the pectoral fin looks more like the head wear of a cheif indian

5Bucks
08-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Have looked up the indian fish, but it's not one of those. The pics don't do it justice, the fins look amazing, my Dad's been a professional fisherman down here for 40+ years and he's never seen anything like it.

stue2
08-01-2011, 07:49 PM
I have dived along that part of the coast for years. not for a few years now though, and cant recall seeing any thing quite like that. have you tryed grants guide to fishes.

cheers Stu

5Bucks
08-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Yep, have checked in there, but nothing quite like it. It's most similar to a gurnard but crossed with a catfish, but nothing has the fins like it!?

Aussie123
08-01-2011, 08:08 PM
That looks like a Crevis Kelpfish. (Gibbonsia montereyensis)
Kelpfish come in a variety of colors and are stunning little fishies.
Lance

stue2
08-01-2011, 08:28 PM
http://www.picsearch.com/pictures/animals/fish/fish%20ci-dw/crevice%20kelpfish.html

Yep nice work Lance

5Bucks
08-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Yes Lance, you got it! I just googled them and thats what it is! Do you know if they are common down this way (S/E of SA) and more importantly are they poisonous?? I would like to keep it in one of my tanks.
Thanks Tracy

Aussie123
08-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Hi Tracey
I dont know how common they are right down your way but have seen quite a few around the Geelong area when I used to dive down that way many years ago.
Up here on the Mid and North Coast of NSW they are very common but mainly the green ones that I have ever caught.
We put one in a tank one time and all the other fish attacked and killed it after chewing all its fins off so not sure what their normally like in aquariums but if you can keep them alive ok they would be a stunning fish to have.