PDA

View Full Version : Pride 22 Project

two dogs
08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
took delviery off our new old boat a few weeks ago, its a Pride 22 Concorde/Sunseeker. We will be podding this boat and cleaning it up a bit and i look forward to sharing the journey with you and hopefully picking up some wisdom along the way.

this weeks it was rubbed down all over with wet 1000 grade paper then hit with the buff...looks a different boat. attacked the inside with the gurnery and rubbed dash and floors with scotch pad and nappisan as per fish hunter's post, works so well. also removed old steering ram and the remains of the inboard as can be seen in the photo. all wiring also removed ready for soon to be fitted out board and pod.

two dogs
08-01-2011, 05:40 PM
today... fabricated a battery box of sorts to fit two side by side underfloor just aft of the fuel tank. box made of ply and will be glassed and and hit with some two pack... also fabricated floor to cover hole created by removal of old inboard... we did this by cutting up the old engine box to use the top so the it will be consitent with the rest of the floor. this will be mounted onto some 15mm ply that will be glassed and sit on top of brackets... this floor will be hinged to give acces to batteries and an eskie. will also use a piece of the old engine box to hinge and fix to the transom and it will drop down to the floor to complete the cover up of the old inboard hole. need to buy two new batteries, can anyone recommend a place to go on the northside. will get some more photos when my uncle has finished glassing and painting the pieces and the weather permits

Angla
08-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Make sure the batteries are suited to the new donk. Starting current wise.

Cheers
Chris

Spaniard_King
08-01-2011, 05:58 PM
She Looks a heavy old Girl, what does she way ya recon??

FishHunter
08-01-2011, 05:59 PM
I will be watching this thread with interest, looks like it will be a ripper

two dogs
08-01-2011, 06:13 PM
im not sure on weight garry... my uncle thinks she will be a fair bit lighter than his formula but yeah it is one of the old classic heavy hulls... will also need new canopy and clears if anyone could recommend a business or your own business, again prefer on the north side

OPTI
09-01-2011, 06:47 AM
my dad owned a sunseeker when i was a kid,originally had a 228 then i refited the boat in 1990 with a 270 /bravo one.the boats in towoomba now as far as i know.
sould make a much better fishing boat with out the engine in the way.good job

Jarrah Jack
09-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Thats a decent step in the floor, must be to give more room in the cabin? Are you fabricating your own pod and more importantly what sort of donk have you got lined up for it?

Love watching these old boats getting a new lease of life. There's been a few of the pride/carribean's done recently. Good luck with it...sounds like a handy uncle there..

Waraba Mick
09-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Hi two dogs & gary, the spec sheet for the concorde lists the standard boat at 1581 kg.

Mick.

two dogs
09-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Jarrah Jack - the step up gives a another two berth's sleeping room. the usual cabin space forward of the helm is also very roomy can stand up freely. the pod will be professionally fabricated and fitted with the motor... putting on a 225 suzi

Jarrah Jack
09-01-2011, 12:41 PM
putting on a 225 suzi

Thanks Two Dogs That zuk sounds good to me, sweet motors..

ovakil
09-01-2011, 04:51 PM
I had to replace my roof & clears on my boat.I ended up making an aluminum roof for it then got new clears on 4 sides.
If interested can send some pics.
Cheers.

two dogs
16-01-2011, 01:45 PM
few more pics of the work so far...
1) bit of a look at the napisan at work

2) hinged floor to cover hole left by inboard removal fabricated out of old engine box, ply and fibre glassed the bottom/ply with some extra supports for strength. undecided as to whether to polish up the steel or cover with white non slip tape as it could be a a bit of a hot spot

3) old batteries sitting in fabricated battery box to add weight to set the glue... situated underfloor at the front of the inboard hole aft of the fuel tank. box designed to keep them snug, dry out of the way but accessible as needed.

4) middle piece fabricated again from old motor box to cover hole left from transom to the floor after in board removed. will be hinged to give access to hoses and the like. bit of ply also in place aft of the point where new floor is hinged so will be a handy spot to store buckets and the like will take a photo when hinges are on

two dogs
16-01-2011, 01:47 PM
some eager helpers, sometimes too eager

OPTI
16-01-2011, 04:27 PM
What pod design are you going to use ?they sit a little low in the stern ,i know my old mans notices the difference in weight when i fitted the bravo drive from the alpha.
id be going full length ,ie,following the bottom of the hull ,no step.try to get as much bouyancy as possible,imop

two dogs
16-01-2011, 06:28 PM
thanks opti... pod is being fabricated and fitted by guys looking after the outboard and a contractor he uses. not completely sure of the design but will run your concerns by him next time we talk

warti
16-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Love the photos of the staffy. First one-happy. Second one -happy. Third one-um .. hello..could someone please help me.lol.

two dogs
20-02-2011, 11:44 AM
work on the boat for the past few weeks has been mainly cosmetic:
carpet cleaned inside the cabin and all bunk cushions.
furniture wax for all the wood work.
carpet for all shelves and cupboards
re-sealed windows
removed blue paint and stickers from waterline up and added some pin stripes
scrubbed all cockpit decks with napisan and gurneyed off to leave nice bright white floors
double hit of wax on and wax off all over in and out, no wonder daniel son told mr miagi to jam it after doing all his cars

boat went to bluewater boats on weds for pod fabrication, they were finished with it on the fri arvo. very solid work. picked her up yesterday and dropped her off for engine installation and other goodies inc trim tabs and hydraulic steering. Getting close now!

two dogs
19-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Boat just about complete now. Pod and engine fitted along with electric trim tabs (minn kota) and hydraulic steering. Boat also went in to get some 'knees' fitted to help spread the load of the pod and engine on the transom. Then it was off for new canopy and clears. We added a front set of clears with two 'eye brows', adds a bit of extra height in the helm area compared to previous, can now stand with much better visibility if needed. Full length bimini and went with storm covers in mozzy mesh for over nighting. Hopefully first trip out in her this weekend ;D

Jarrah Jack
19-04-2011, 10:07 AM
She's looking good in an inverse direction to the bank balance :). How did they work out the height of the motor, Ive seen a few complicated equations for it.. I'll be interested to read how it goes with the pod and the weight of that beautiful motor.

OPTI
20-04-2011, 05:37 PM
geez that donk looks big on the back ,have you had it in the water yet ?be good to hear how she goes.i take it you will be using it over easter.:P

odes20
21-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Can you show us a pic of the knees you had fabricated in as well, as I would be real keen to see them ?
Cheers
John

rynosaurus
21-04-2011, 12:41 PM
wow - nice work!!
i am a country noob who knows nothing about boats but im wondering why the inboard was taken out?
Was it seized or underpowered?
cheers ryan

two dogs
21-04-2011, 02:15 PM
JJ - motor was fitted by graham jeffers, not sure how he calculates it but he knows his stuff, reckons he gets the height right the first time 95/100 but will still hop on for a test to make sure

Opti, havent had her over idle yet, wasnt allowed until she got some knees

John i will post a pic up of the knees as soon as i can. There wasnt anything actually wrong with the transom, more of a recommendation from graham who wouldnt want to put his name on something unless he was 100% happy the customer was going to get long term enjoyment from their boat.

Ryan, we found the boat for sale with out an engine. Without getting into an inboard vs outboard debate, i enjoy the extra fishing room in this boat now that it has an out board

FisHard
16-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Hey guys,
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm considering doing up one of these Concordes and podding it. Anyone got any further feedback? Two Dogs, are you still around? Care to share how it all worked out?

two dogs
17-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Hi Fishard... what would you like to know. Still around, love the boat. Stayed onboard (2ppl) all of the easter weekend and was very comfortable. Have only been outside to wide cal just the once, need to upgrade the electronics to make the trip worth while.

FisHard
17-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Cool! How does it go with the big Suzuki? Do you have any figures at cruise and WOT? Do you hav any pics of the pod? Has the pod worked out in terms of weight distribution, handling and ride? Do you know a gross weight for the rig dry or fueled up good to go? I was thinking about having around 400l of fuel capacity, I assume I will need to have a portion of that in the old sterndrive engine space? Is there any other options?
Thanks in advance :)

two dogs
17-06-2012, 11:24 AM
I'll try answer some of your questions now... really happy with the engine, I'm not the most figure inclined sort of person but I will be collecting some WOT figures for graham next time we are out to see if he is happy with the prop. I think we were close to WOT and hit 40 mph coming home at easter. Will write down what we cruise at as well. To be honest the handling hasn't been tested too much I guess but the ride is great. My uncle has been on boats for 50 years and has a formula 233 and he loves the ride of our boat and often comments that the motor is hardly working to push us along. Adding fuel capacity if your needs asks for it might be a good idea, i think standard is around 200L. Forward is a big freshwater tank which could be removed or reduced, aft plenty of space in old inboard hole but not sure if you want to take too much weight aft? We were considering an underfloor kill tank for that space, or an esky with the right dimensions. Currently we store our crab pots collapsed with floats and ropes under floor, very tidy. There is a picture of the pod on the first page, is there anything specific or close up you would like to see, I will take the camera next time and try to remember to take some pics. Just noticed I need to get one up of the knees for odes... sorry John

FisHard
17-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks mate, I appreciate your time to respond. I'm just toying with the idea atm, but the idea of the xtra berths really appeals for extended trips to the reef. I also like the height of the bridge deck for reef spotting. Hmmm some serious soul searching coming on me thinks!

two dogs
17-06-2012, 03:03 PM
not a problem... i love driving from the mini fly bridge. But i think it is a must to consider altering the front clears. Originally the front bimini joins straight on to the windscreen. I'm only 5'10 but still couldn't stand up at the helm. Adding the eyebrows has lifted the height enough so that i can no comfortably stand at the helm if i want. where are you located, there is one across from me in a similar condition to the one we cleaned up, haven't seen it move in a year. can always show you the work to ours too if you decide to go that way

FisHard
17-06-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm 6'4 so I run into (literally) problems with height on most canopies! I would definately start fresh with it to suit my height. I'm in Brisbane and would love to check out your rig. Thanks for the offer! The boat I'm considering is in Sydney. I'm down there every week for work, but haven't had time to go and inspect it.