PDA

View Full Version : 20hr Service on a 90hp ????

Escape with LG
06-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Hey Guys and Gals,

Just wondering what you have paid for your 20hr service?

Would like to compare to what i have just outlaid' to get my 90hp 4stroke Merc serviced!

Thanks in advance!

Escape with LG
08-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Bump so I take it noone has reached 20hr! Thanks

nigelr
08-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Sure it's 20 hours, not 10 or 50?
Cheers.

Escape with LG
08-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Yeah mate 20 then every 100. It's already done just wanted to compare to what others paid!

Moonlighter
08-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Not sure about the Merc but the first service on a Suzuki @ 20 hrs includes checking and adjusting the valve clearances/tappets, changing oil and a bunch of other post-run in checks/claening filters etc so it is a bigger service than the normal 100 hr one.

Mine cost around $350 on a 115 Zuke if that's any guide to you.

Cheers

ML

Escape with LG
08-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Cool thanks ML I got stung like 430! I did ask for them to tighten up all the nuts on my trailer but, the thing that gave me the sh!ts was I was told round 300 not about to name and shame just know to shop around next time!

Anyways cheers LG

Leggo71
08-01-2011, 06:31 PM
i have to wait for 300hrs to get my engine serviced

Moonlighter
08-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Good luck with that Leggo;)

I'm bettin' you'll have it in the shop sooner than that!:-X

We should run a book - :

PTT replacement 3:1:P :P :P
Injector replacement: 5:1:P :P :P :P :P
Computer replacement/software upgrade: 6:1:P :P :P :P :P :P

Do keep us posted, y'all!

Cheers

ML

Moonlighter
08-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Hi Escape

Its harder to compare service costs than first meets the eye. Some dealers do the service on the engine only and strictly as per the book, whereas others take a more holistic approach and service/check/adjust the whole boat and trailer for you.

Best idea is to have a talk to your dealer's service manager, and ask them what their approach is, and you'll have a better idea. And get a quote or at least an estimate first and make sure they know that if its going to be more than a few $ different they should call you before proceeding.

Things like checking the battery properly with a load tester, cleaning terminals, topping up hyd steering fluid, checking trailer wheel bearings and lights etc etc ought to be standard unless you tell them not to because you have done those checks yourself. That costs a bit more but well worth it for those amongst us who dont/cant do such things.

To be honest I'd not be too concerned with what you were charged, it's in the ballpark.

And ignore our friends with the e-bombs, they will live to regret it! And they have to spend more than that each year on their fancy blue oil!

Cheers

ML

Steeler
08-01-2011, 07:10 PM
I would have thought injectors would be even money,oh thats etec;D.

jameshallam
08-01-2011, 07:15 PM
my mercury 40hp cost me $208 for first 20 hour service

Moonlighter
08-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Steeler

I was trying not to be too harsh on him, only a baby Ausfisher, he knows not what he has done!;D

Cheeky fellow he is, especially for someone who doesn't even know what make of boat he has....8-)

Cheers ML

Steeler
08-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Lifes Good with LG,sorry i could not help myself.Me bad and stupid.

Leggo71
08-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Lol i was joking thou the warrenty says 300hrs or 3 years peace all

Spaniard_King
08-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Are yoiu sure the warranty is only 300hrs.. I thought otherwise??

Escape with LG
08-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Yeah its all good the disapointing part was the fact that i was led to believe that it was going to be around 300 not close to 500! I dont mind paying for quality and all i wanted was top notch after sales service... I guess i just felt a little mis led and next time i wont just head on back there before i shop around!

Anyways cheers for your insite on the issue ML

AnthonyL
09-01-2011, 12:16 AM
I just paid $420 for 150 hp yamaha first service

marty666
09-01-2011, 06:03 AM
i was told about $330 fo 20hr on merc 115 opti turned out to cost me $408 but they did top up the oil that was near empty for me so not too far of the original mark

Leggo71
09-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Spaniard-king quote
Are yoiu sure the warranty is only 300hrs.. I thought otherwise??
yer sorry said it wrong no service for 3 years has 5 year warranty my bad
yes 300hrs or three years in the book under warrenty in that you also have to make shore you run it right but year even the spark plugs are designed for three years ive looked at all the fine print im very happy with the e tec its quiet (more quiet then me ) full efficent no smoke all the things my old motor was not ::)

and Moonlighter lol know one else seems to no what boat it is so im no the only uninformed one thou i wish i new what it was to many stories about it gives me a headach

peace all

beejay1947
11-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Was I ripped off, or is this the price we pay for living in Townsville?
Had my first service on 115 Suzuki done by Townsville Marine on 4/11/2009 (also included check wheel bearings and replace return springs on Dunbier trailer)

Account was itemised asfollows:-

Gasket protection cover 12.16
Filter assyoil $38.95
Impeller pump $90.77
Filter fuel T/S clear bowl merc $26.03
Primer bulb 8mm $6.60
Caliper springs 15.58
Motor oil $51.44
Gear oil workshop $19.00
Workshop materials / EPA levy $23.75
Labour $465.50 (5 hrs)
rounding $0.02
GST $68.18

Total $749.80:'(

To top it off, when I next launched at National Park ramp, the gear would not engage and I was slowly drifting away from the ramp.
Apparently the Drive Shaft was not reconnected after the service

Bruce

Spaniard_King
12-01-2011, 05:51 AM
so you are going to need an impellor every 20hrs by the look of that???

Moonlighter
12-01-2011, 08:21 PM
BJ

Gee I reckon you were touched there on a couple of counts

1. Did they use the Suzuki (Motul) synthetic oil? If not the standard Suzuki Aust approved oil is Mobil 15W40 and 5 l of it from Supercheap or Repco is $25 or so, not over $50 like you were charged.

2. I also agree with Garry - how can they justify a new impeller after just 20 hrs - you must have dredged a few new channels or run it out of the water, hey? ( I dont think so!)

3. And holy cow - 5 hours labour?? Mine took 2 guys 1.5hrs tops, and that was with us talking and chatting away as they went and me asking questions and getting shown things. Must be bloody slow mechanics. Check with Haines Suzi marine to find out the recommended hrs labour for the first service.

Yikes!

ML

Spaniard_King
12-01-2011, 08:49 PM
ML,

I pondered about the labor as well but he did get the bearing done and caliper springs.. so possibly 5hrs is just OK.

Moonlighter
13-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Hi Garry & Beejay

Garry - I initially thought that too, but saw there are no wheel bearings/seals on the parts ,list so I reckon that they probably did a quick check only - I can do that in 15 mins per side, jack up, spin wheels, pop bearing cap off for a look, so I allowed 30 mins for that check. Caliper springs = maybe 1 minute each side to put on while the wheels are off for the bearing check.

I still reckon 5 hours labour is way too much for that job - a 20 hr service - if the mechanic is competent at his job.

And BJ, a service mechanic that leaves the gear linkages disconnected obviously hasn't checked and run the motor after the service was completed. Needs his ar$e kicked by the dealer and at the very least an apology and an explaination to the owner by the dealer principal about the issues I mentioned in my last post also would be in order. A big discount on your next service would be suitable compensation!

Unfortunately in Townsville you may have not much choice as I see there is only 1 Suzi dealer - if it was in Brisbane or SEQ I'd never go back there and would be finding a new service guy.

But since your stuck with them you'll need to remember that you will need to maintain a reasonable relationship with them for a while yet, so a measured response to this issue is what's required.

Try not to let your anger override your brain! Just set out the facts carefully for them, explain how the experience has left you feeling ripped off and how your trust in their work and their business honesty has been damaged. If they are any good at all they will respond appropriately to do things to win back your trust and retain your business.

Cheers

ML

Camhawk88
13-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Yeah I remember getting ripped by Leo's Marine- Townsville Marine's forbearer if I'm not mistaken. Impellar? Primer Bulb? 5 hrs labour at $93/hr?
And the job not done properly- I'd say they took you for a ride, and I doubt you were the first nor last.

I have given up using the boat shops for outboard repairs- Leo's weren't the only ones to rip me off (must say Angus Smith Marine were reasonable) I now use one of 2 mobile mechanics and have done so for a number of years. Both guys do a great job, at a reasonable price and you can watch them work and learn a few things. They also come to you which saves towing the boat around town. They are also well trained in the various types of motors and regularly update their skills. Have a look in the Yellow pages and you'll find em.

PS I have no affiliation with these guys- just a happy customer.

AnthonyL
13-01-2011, 12:27 PM
The price I stated was wrong, my 150 hp yamaha 20 hr service was $380 done by Brisbane Yamaha.

business class
13-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Im not sure what a 20hr service should cost tho that does seem quite expensive...... I personally use gary who is a mobile mechanic and i wouldnt go anywhere else, this way you get to see exactly what they do,and u can actually see what your doing to your engine and not get charged for things u dont need, which in alot of cases dealers may do. and i think you will find they may be cheaper also;D .
As for the E-Tec quietness and good on fuel:-? I know a 150 Etec who chews more fuel then a 225 honda and the honda is pushin alot heavier boat:o and i wont mention anything about the fumes they put off ( COUGH COUGH CHOKE CHOKE:P ) and how much was that new injector again:-X :'(
P.S Gary my 225 needs some care when you are free ;) ;D

Moonlighter
13-01-2011, 05:36 PM
I also use a qualified Suzuki mobile mechanic. I agree with your comments. But our poor friends in Townsville appear to be stuck with only one authorised dealer for servicing during warranty period. It sucks!

Cheers

ML

themerlin
14-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Just had my 20h first service for a merc 60fs and it cost $370

Hey Guys and Gals,

Just wondering what you have paid for your 20hr service?

Would like to compare to what i have just outlaid' to get my 90hp 4stroke Merc serviced!

Thanks in advance!