PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Options

leelee
05-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Hi guys.

I have been scouring the internet for a new replacement boat and would like to know of other options that I might be missing.

I am chasing a 17.5 foot boat, 115 hp and here is the catch, it must be able to fish offshore as well as fish for bass barra and bream so it needs to have high sides but not super high. Also needs to have a casting deck similar to a bass boat and a fair amoutn of storage area's if possible. Don't really care about console config so side or centre console is not really a problem.

So without saying what I have already found, as that might start debates that I don't want to get into (Ford versus Holden), let me know what you know of that fits the bill?

Cheers

Lee

Lachie1
05-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Trophy 1703 Centre Console?

Hell Boy
05-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Hey LeeLee

You could look at a stabicraft 1720 MWS. It is 17.2 feet long, It is rated up to 90Hp, But it can be upgraded to 115hp if you get one built to your specs from the factory,

I've been looking at one as a possible replacement for my stabi WXR 529, if i get the property i'm currently trying to buy.

http://www.stabi-craft.co.nz/Product.aspx?id=MWS1720

Here are a few reviews

http://www.stabi-craft.co.nz/Documents/BoatTests/MWS1720/Nzfnmws1720part1.pdf

http://www.stabi-craft.co.nz/Documents/BoatTests/MWS1720/Nzfnmws1720part1.pdf

cheers,

Bryn

STUIE63
05-01-2011, 07:34 PM
galeforce 5.5m is 18 foot and Tony will modify to whatever you want
Stuie

gkmnh1
05-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Its a hard ask lee the closest to what you want at that size would be a lewis typhoon or a haines 520 prowler i have fished in both and are great allround boats,the lewis has more storage.

NAGG
05-01-2011, 08:02 PM
If it was my choice .... I be looking at one of the Scout bay boats - but it depends on what you call offshore ! Chris

Scott nthQld
05-01-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm with stuie, i've fished out of his galey...awesome boat, handles well offshore, stable and shallow enough draft for poking up all but the tightest of creeks. Fully customiseable to any layout, cosoles, decks, rod lockers, bait tanks etc.

I've also been in another members scout bay boat, a 20' footer, what a weapon, sides too low for anything too far offshore IMO, but be an excellent estuary, bay and inshore boat. The one in question had a 250 opti hanging off the back....anyone for 75mph??....deadly;D . Extremely stable, I could walk all the way around the gunnels, casting lures, in a 1m sea and not fall in, and I'm pretty unco at the best of times, boat hardly moved and I'm no light weight at 110kg

dodgyone
05-01-2011, 08:58 PM
If your an Ally lover (im not) I would be looking at Nobles around that size. Nice roomy rigs.

leelee
05-01-2011, 08:58 PM
galeforce 5.5m is 18 foot and Tony will modify to whatever you want
Stuie

yes I have thought about the Galeforce, but personally the decklayouts I have seen fall well below the standard of most of the boats manufactured outside of AUS. I like the galeforce hull but don't liek the fact that the decks are constructed the same way as quintrex hornets are. Now if they could be made pretty much the same way as any bass boat is then maybe I could then look at this as an option.

Any chance you can send me some pics of your deck layout on your boat if possible?

If it was my choice .... I be looking at one of the Scout bay boats - but it depends on what you call offshore ! Chris

Probably no more than 15-20km off Moreton and Straddy on a half decent good day.

I'm with stuie, i've fished out of his galey...awesome boat, handles well offshore, stable and shallow enough draft for poking up all but the tightest of creeks. Fully customiseable to any layout, cosoles, decks, rod lockers, bait tanks etc.

Yes I like this hull but as mentioned above the deck construction of current bass boats, bay boats etc from the USA is pretty much what i would be looking for, but i fear the fact that it will cost me a small fortune to get that replicated here in AUS.

Cheers

Lee

STUIE63
05-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Lee
my boat is on the galeforce website it was built as the website was made and I had a few different options so they took a few photos . but if you talk to Tony he will tell you what you can get done i would say that you can get what you want with rod lockers , cast decks , kill tanks , live wells and live bait tanks all customisable best give Tony a ring or better still a visit as he is very passionate about his boats
Stuie

leelee
05-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks Stuie for the info.

Much appreciated.

Its tough enough contemplating having to sell my boat now, so I need to make 100% sure I can get what I want before I do sell it.

Cheers

Lee

NAGG
05-01-2011, 10:42 PM
It will very much be a trade off boat as you know - what makes for a good impoundment boat will work against you offshore - the bay style boats would be the best compromise IMO

Chris

leelee
05-01-2011, 11:00 PM
It will very much be a trade off boat as you know - what makes for a good impoundment boat will work against you offshore - the bay style boats would be the best compromise IMO

Chris

Pretty much that is what I am after and I have shortlisted a few boats but really was hoping from some input from other members who might have been looking for similar boats and found something that suits thier needs.

Cheers

Lee

Horse
06-01-2011, 07:20 AM
I would consider a purchase from OS of something like a Tropy 1703, Century 18CC or a Cape Craft Cape Horn 17 as a multi purpose vessel. The other option is something along the lines of a Boston Whaler or Carolina Skiff.
The yanks do a huge variety of multifunction CC's and their flats come Bay boats would do your Saltwater work fine. The biggest compromise would be in the Sweetwater use but I would take the open water safety aspects over the "bass boat" layout.
As many have said the Galeforce boats are great hulls but the interiors are not up to the same standard

leelee
06-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Its a hard ask lee the closest to what you want at that size would be a lewis typhoon or a haines 520 prowler i have fished in both and are great allround boats,the lewis has more storage.

Yes but for the price range the Lewis is expensive considering the crappy fitout they give you.

Cheers

Lee

colo
06-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Have a look ate the Sea Jay Striker 5.6m it has the console mounted toward the rear and a large front cast platform with 2 large dry storage compartments , and is a true plate boat so it can handle the offshore as well. http://www.seajayboats.com.au/boat-range/console/striker

leelee
06-01-2011, 07:50 AM
I would consider a purchase from OS of something like a Tropy 1703, Century 18CC or a Cape Craft Cape Horn 17 as a multi purpose vessel. The other option is something along the lines of a Boston Whaler or Carolina Skiff.
The yanks do a huge variety of multifunction CC's and their flats come Bay boats would do your Saltwater work fine. The biggest compromise would be in the Sweetwater use but I would take the open water safety aspects over the "bass boat" layout.
As many have said the Galeforce boats are great hulls but the interiors are not up to the same standard

Pretty much I have looked at similar boats from OS so you are on the money there. The Trophy1703 is cheap but very plain with not much storage options available and that was the first boat I looked at.

Cheers

Lee

peterbo3
06-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Lee,
This is outside the box.........................;D;D;D;D

I would be looking for a sound used private sale hull in either glass or alloy which could be modified to suit your needs. Trade the engine for a new one, fit new electronics & you will be $$$$ in front with the boat you want.

leelee
06-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Lee,
This is outside the box.........................;D;D;D;D

I would be looking for a sound used private sale hull in either glass or alloy which could be modified to suit your needs. Trade the engine for a new one, fit new electronics & you will be $$$$ in front with the boat you want.

Yes that same though had crossed my mind, but I will be using that as a last resort.

Thanks for the idea though:D and its stuff like this, well thats the main reason I put up this thread.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Lee