PDA

View Full Version : New Commer Needs Advice

maurie
05-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi guys,
I recently bought a '91 model Stacer Seamaster 4.6mt runabout with a as new 60HP Yamaha 4st.
Haven't quite got my see legs yet but will be going over to Cowell SA in Feb for some crabs etc. I have heard that there is some good snapper to be had in the Gulf and would like some advice as to whether you feel this boat would be OK to get me a few miles off shore (In good weather of course)?

I have just put in a UHF land base radio & a new Cobra VHF marine and am now looking for a suitable GPS that dosn't cost the world. I have my eye on a fixed FURUNA GP32 from Fish On US for $385 plus postage but has anyone got any ideas in this regard.
I probably wouldn't use it more than six times a year and don't know if any of the hand held units have DSC capability or not,which I would prefer for safety reasons.

Any advice would be gratefully received.......

on-one
05-01-2011, 12:42 PM
I had a gps32 in my boat it was nicely made and easy to use, but you're probably better off getting a colour chartplotter for the same money, most should let you feed position data to your radio

maurie
05-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks On-One.
Got any suggestions?

Jarrah Jack
05-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Very good snapper and whiting in the gulf. The locals should be able to put you onto one or two.

No problem taking your boat out. Just the normal sensible precautions should be enough.

on-one
06-01-2011, 06:05 AM
Maurie, it's a couple of years since I replaced the little furuno so any inforamation I have on replacements would be out of date. If you have a search in the electronics section you should be able to find some recomendations.

Moonlighter
06-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Maurie

I was visiting my local BIAS Boating shop the other day and they had some very tempting run-out specials on Garmnin, Eagle and Humminbird sounders, GPS and combo units going. I'd suggest that you drop into your local BIAS store if there's one nearby and have a talk to them about what you want, usually they are quite helpful with advice.

Cheers

ML