PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't ply floors snug fitting?

Castaway
04-01-2011, 10:21 PM
I am looking at replacing my ply floor in my 420 dory and I notice the old (factory fit I presume) floor is not snug fitting around the ribs. I was thinking a snug fit would prevent tackle falling under the floor but perhaps air flow is needed to prevent the floor rotting.

As per previous threads on replacing floors, I was going to seal the top and edges of the ply and finish with either carpet or those foam squares that lock together but should I leave a similar gap around the ribs?

Castaway

wamjam
04-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Mate Im not sure with your boat, but I think they cut the ply back from the ribs to allow the under side of the ply to clear the ribs. Because of the acute angle of the ribs.
If you use carpet you will have to allow for the thickness of the carpet as well other wise the floor might rock as you walk across it and scare the fish or just sh!t ya.

Scott

STUIE63
04-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I reckon they probably cut it with such big gaps to allow for inconsistencies in the hull builds
Stuie

Mark-P
04-01-2011, 11:23 PM
I think you'll fine, its to allow for expantion of the ply
& the flex in the boat ! Just my thoughts....

Mark

sleepygreg
04-01-2011, 11:57 PM
expansion and flex would be the reasons.

station-rat
05-01-2011, 07:29 AM
I reckon they probably cut it with such big gaps to allow for inconsistencies in the hull builds
Stuie
Just so they don't have to individually fit each floor

Castaway
05-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the replies. Always good advice on this site.

This will give me something to do on my days off.

Castaway

Kevaclone
05-01-2011, 07:45 AM
I replaced the ply floor in my old tinny a few years ago
to get it fitted snugly took many hours of fitting/trimming/fitting/measuring/fitting/trimming
Mass production just doesn't allow for the time it takes, they would have a jig and just cut a "one size fits all" for each model boat, that allows for variations in production

Jarrah Jack
05-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Have also read but haven't experienced it myself that the timber up against the thin sides can cause corrosion to set in. This is because salt and water cannot dry out properly. I agree that it would be nice to know that sinkers especially can't find there way under the floor.

finga
05-01-2011, 12:44 PM
I reckon all the manufacturers have got a weird sense of humour and laugh at the lot of you whenever a sinker or hook or swivel or mobile phone or the dog falls down the cracks and you spend all the week-end getting it out from under the floor.

Expansion and contraction and room to dry out and one size fits all and all that caper would be reasons for poor fit though