PDA

View Full Version : Poor dash space for electronics on new boats

La Vida
03-01-2011, 01:41 PM
It still amazes me the poor amount of dash space modern fishing boat builders leave for flush mounting electronics. love to know your thoughts

Duckfish
03-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Hi LV,
Had the same problem in my boat. I fitted a 3 Ply board about 14"x!4" on my dash then put my electrics on top of that. Seems to work OK. I've got some photos of my dash.
Duckfish

OPTI
03-01-2011, 05:50 PM
yep thats for sure,i had to make my own moulds and new dash which took me 12 months to do ,i laugh at the new models coming out with only room to flush mount one a 8 inch unit ,even the plate builders are sub par as well

Kill Bill
03-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Ive noticed some of the manufacturers who have released genuinely new models in the last couple of years have started to accomodate the trend for larger displays. With that being said very few of the boats released in the last couple of years have actually been 'new' designs, most of them are old models with new names/decals. It would be a pretty big job to modify a dash in an existing mold and most of the boats in OZ seem to continue to sell forever and a day so it would be a long time between birthdays for some of the boats on the market. As far as the plate market is concerned they really dont have any excuses at all.

PB
04-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Yep it is true, we solved this problem by not building the dash or fitting the helm without knowing what electronics are going into it and everything is positioned by the coustomer. this is now the standard for all our boats now.

davo
04-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Flush mounting is a bag idea anyway. If you update the sounder then how do you know if the next one is going to fit the hole? I also hate though bass boat type sport consoles. Fashion at it's worst.

La Vida
04-01-2011, 07:51 PM
my point exactly davo, have a look at a quintrex hornet or topender, the dash is just rubbish. even on my evolution it has this ridiculous two tier step. Just manages to get a hds8 in at a pinch. though clearance around the wheel is an issue.

Personally I prefer the flush mount even though mine is gimble mounted. added security and weather protection. On my haines I just got a new dash plate cut in 3mm alloy and had it powder coated when I replaced the electronics and this helped reduce glare.

As I say it is not just the screens but also radio space where it is at a level where you can hear it in wind and at higher speeds.Manufacturers listen up build practical dashes for today not some show pony that belongs on a tupperware pose boat!!!!!