PDA

View Full Version : Floods - Rebuilding..Anything required ?

PinHead
30-12-2010, 05:05 AM
I know this should really be in the bilge but a lot of members do not have access there...ANYWAY.

As we all know the State is inundated with water and possibly some Ausfish members may be enduring some difficulties at present.

If so, let us know and we can see what we can do to help out...members are all over the State and surely we can help out when someone is in need of some assistance.

Don't be proud..just ask.

I can remember the 1974 floods here in Brisbane and also very clearly remember the hardships many people endured during that and also the outside help that came in..so our turn now to help where possible.

Chimo
30-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Hi Guys

Crestcutter at Dalby would likely be a candidate as his house appeared to be in trouble early on before the bulk of the water arrived. I doubt he has access to the net at the moment though. Anyone know his situation or where they took him (them)?

Cheers
Chimo

quote=Crestcutter;1235979]6398863987

My street at the moment,SES are evacuating people out here as we speak.The bunya mountain surge hasn't arrived here yet but when it does she is going to be worse than last time. My mate rang me at 7 am and he had shin deep water through his house by then.[/quote]

PinHead
30-12-2010, 11:06 AM
I have had contact with crestcutter..they are ok at the moment.

mitch92
30-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Definitely hard for those out emerald, chinchilla, dalby etc.

I will be interested to see what comes of the rockhampton floods. I live just out of rocky to the north, but work to the west. Been told go home, dont come back till we say incase of flooded roads while we are at work.

At home the crazy amounts of rain have all but turned all the yard to slush, and the driveway no longer is much of a driveway, resembles more of a mud-rally track.

We personally don't have any problems at all of what is happening, all of the above is nothing. The southside of rocky will have problems though. They are now apparently predicting floods worse then seen 1991, and possibly worse then 1954. Interesting times ahead.

Mitch

Crestcutter
30-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks heaps for your concern Chimo your a champ. We are ok coming out with just a few lost items, mainly power tools that i forgot were down low. But with four kids and the amount of stuff we have i was lucky that's all we lost. It just lapped into the house even with sandbags but the downstairs garage copped the brunt. We are about to run out of water by tomorrow but we will just have to work around that.
Stupid me was ferrying mum dad and kids out of the deep end of where i am and actually had 15 people in the back of my truck at one stage . In that time stupid me didnt take time to sort my own gear, but that's lifem i helped when i could.

Greg contacted me a couple of days ago asking me if needed any sort of assistance at all which blew me away. Not the fact that it was Greg as i know what he is really like despite what some may think. It was the fact that a busy business owner was going to take time out to come and shovel mud and help me clean up. Too that , i am forever gratefull to Greg.

Thanks for being concerened and just being what a aussie bloke used to be Greg and that was helping out those in trouble. Kudos to you mate.

Little grey men
30-12-2010, 11:11 PM
We finally left Chinchilla today after being stuck since boxing day. Had to sneak out the back way through Jandowie for a very slow trip through to Dalby. My two brothers houses went under and my parents house was surrounded but luckily the water didn't make it to the floor boards.
There is an amazing amount of water out there, and the spooky thing is it's hard to tell which direction it's actually flowing....people are just waiting and watching.
I was out there during the flood of 82 or 83 and remember riding my bike through the water and having a great old time but now I'm older it really is heart breaking to see.
I'll throw some photos up soon.

Little grey men
30-12-2010, 11:58 PM
My families Christmas of 2010. Honestly, they got off easy compared to a lot of other poor souls.
The first three pics are when the water stated to rise, the rest are what we found when we awoke the next morning...not that a lot of sleep was had.
The next surge is coming soon !

ifishcq1
31-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Hope everyone comes out okay and now it is Rocky's turn
there is probably a couple of Ausfish guys filling sandbags right now
could get as high or higher than ever before if the sums are right and that might bring more areas into play
all the best for anyone in any of the flooded regions
cheers

Flex
01-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Geez I hate floods,I live in Emerald and its the second time in 5 weeks I've had to move all the furniture in my house. This time though was horrendous. Had 1.6m of water through the neighbours and our house. Its and eduaction QLD house so not so bad for us..

First time I buy myself a big offshore boat and i had 2 weeks fishing at Hinchinbrook over new years booked and I had to cancel and move furniture for 3 days instead..lol, A trip I've looked forward to for 10 years ruined!

Anyhow, luckily we could move furniture and had enough warning. I feel for those who didnt get the chance.

Just a question on insurance, Im comprehensively insured with club marine, will it cover me if my boat is damaged by flood waters? nothing in their policy mentions flood waters...

sleepygreg
01-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Following on from an idea in Scott's (Finga) post in the bilge and Pinheads thread about who needs help.

I am sure that there are many Ausfishers who live in the flood affected areas of Qld and have been devastated by inundation and floodwaters. Now I know that most would have been insured against this, but also that there would probably be many who weren't.

I thought that this would be a good place to list any appliances, goods, materials....even labour/trades...that fellow Ausfishers had spare that could be made available to those affected to help them rebuild after the event.

(thanks also to Pinhead for inspiring the thread through his who needs help thread)

trying to address the issue from both directions - not meant as a rival thread - but a complimentary one.

Maybe the mods could make them both Sticky...in the appropriate section.

Greg

MY ALIBI
01-01-2011, 11:11 PM
hi all i was out pink lilly 6 mile rd on friday morning helping freind lift all household gear up of floor, hole house jacked up inside . today its under and caint get to it hope all is ok for them only time will tell ..... cancelled 2 week holiday in cairns just sit and wait now i supose

Sheik
02-01-2011, 01:57 AM
Good lluck with that boys. Hope it's not too bad for you. We got our 40 head of cattle off an island near Condamine so that's good news at least. Hoep some other s have some good luck too.

Lucky_Phill
02-01-2011, 06:11 AM
Greg, There is no appropriate section that deals with disasters on Ausfish.

Hence. these two will be stickied here in General.

LP.

Crestcutter
02-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Sheik im in Dalby mate, if you need a hand with anything. Did you get evacuated to the Dalby showgrounds?

finga
02-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Following on from an idea in Scott's (Finga) post in the bilge and Pinheads thread about who needs help.
Yep, anyone who needs a huge Whirlpool top loading washing machine just PM me.
I'll be coming towards Brisbane southside on the 12/13th so can bring it with me.
It's just collecting dust in the shed so it might as well be put to good use.

TimiBoy
02-01-2011, 07:50 AM
We just moved, so we got rid of so much stuff, damnit! But we have a spare near new microwave oven, send me a pm if you want it.

If you're within 3 or 4 hours of Brissy I'll bring it to you, and pick up anything else you need from here, save you the trip.

Cheers,

Tim

Lucky_Phill
02-01-2011, 08:20 AM
I am in the same boat.

If anyone needs something or has something to donate, pm me or post it here.

I have the ability to store and take stuff to areas within 300k's of Brisbane from mid Jan.

Regards

Phill

finga
02-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Maybe a new sticky thread Phil??

TimiBoy
02-01-2011, 06:32 PM
I'll do 5 or 600 k's from Brisbane if someone needs me to pick stuff up and bring it. All I ask is a feed and a bed, I'll bring my sleeping bag!

Cheers,

Tim

trymyluck
02-01-2011, 07:02 PM
I'll do 5 or 600 k's from Brisbane if someone needs me to pick stuff up and bring it. All I ask is a feed and a bed, I'll bring my sleeping bag!

Cheers,

Tim

I need to go fishing.............;D

Its great to see this kind of offer from some great people, I don't have a lot to offer but if anyone needs somewhere to leave a few horses or some gear then let me know. Or if they need somewhere to stay thats flood free. Plenty of room here and plenty of feed for horses.

Mark

byron_moses
02-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Im In Northeren Nsw Guys If Anyone Out Kyogle Way Etc Needs A Hand Let Me Know

Sheik
03-01-2011, 04:38 AM
I am in the same boat.

If anyone needs something or has something to donate, pm me or post it here.

I have the ability to store and take stuff to areas within 300k's of Brisbane from mid Jan.

Regards

Phill
Hey Phill, Stuffer just managed to get fifty odd head of cattle out of a bog on the edge of the Dogwood at Condamine. He had to borros Hinzies boat and when they attached the electric it wouuld only turn one way. I have to keep laughing at the picture of my brother turing the boat 500 degrees to turn left. Eventually he used a paddle as a rudder. Said it was completely amazing to see thousands of acres underwater where we[ve only ever seen black soil, box suckers and coolibahs. He was just about to stock up the lagoons with catfish and yellowbelly because the Dogwoods been dead for so long the fish weer almost gone. Lucky he didn't. There have been two floods through it in a month. (one in twenty five years before that.)
As for bringing stuff out, I think he'd appreciate it if you towed that 6m you're using as an avatar out there and left it for a while. that way he'd have an excuse to nip over to turkey or 1770 for a while! But seriously, thanks for the offer to you and others who have put their messages down.
regards Jim

Crestcutter
04-01-2011, 11:31 PM
After living in town and now moving 40 k out to where it was helicopter evac only i think i need to buy a floating device again lol. Anyone got a cheap tinny for sale ? Why did i sell my center console thinking i would never need it again? Bloody hell i could have put it in at Dalby and got it to Toowoomba lol.

Crestcutter
07-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Now we are recovering again today from another surge, gets worse for me now, im not only having to pay top rent where i am but i cant even get out to the property i bought and havent been able too since christmas day, The Moonie hwy will be shut until further notice over the weekend. Anyone else in trouble? Im starting to really struggle finaincally now with rent plus mortage. But there must be worse cases then me out there. Just wish this rain would ease up enough for me to get home.

TimiBoy
08-01-2011, 05:22 AM
I have a microwave, some clothes and maybe some bedding - Mumsy said something about bedding...

Anyone in Brisbane, if you have stuff to donate I will be taking a spin in the Cruiser with the trailer on the back (6*4 cage, carries a fair bit) up to Rocky, if I can fill it, or somewhere else if that's better.

Who to give it all to, and how to disseminate it at the other end? Whoever's there will have to manage that!

Cheers,

Tim

PinHead
08-01-2011, 01:29 PM
tim, no point driving up there..you won't get there...better to donate goods to groups here that have things organised.

Chimo
08-01-2011, 01:45 PM
News story the other day suggested that St Vinnies were the only mob that would accept goods. Also happy to have help sorting stuff (clothes) etc

All the rest just seem to want cash which may not be possible for some to give.

Mike Delisser
08-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Was mentioned on ABC Radio this morning that there's a sign on a house out on the point at Cleveland that says "Goods can be donated, truck leaving for Rocky on Jan 15".

trymyluck
08-01-2011, 06:53 PM
I have a microwave, some clothes and maybe some bedding - Mumsy said something about bedding...

Anyone in Brisbane, if you have stuff to donate I will be taking a spin in the Cruiser with the trailer on the back (6*4 cage, carries a fair bit) up to Rocky, if I can fill it, or somewhere else if that's better.

Who to give it all to, and how to disseminate it at the other end? Whoever's there will have to manage that!

Cheers,

Tim

Tim, highway is closed at Gympie and north of Gympie the highway is a mess to put it nicely. Going to try to get over to Steve's tomorrow to help pack some lychee's, we were going to pick some more but no point if he can not get them to market.

Mark

TimiBoy
09-01-2011, 05:51 AM
tim, no point driving up there..you won't get there...better to donate goods to groups here that have things organised.

I'm not driving up until it's safe, silly. And if I give it to the "organisers", it's not targeted at the Ausfish community. I want to give stuff to Fishos in distress - no one will control that but me.

Cheers,

Tim

Crestcutter
09-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Here we go again.

Residents warned to brace for more floods
Residents of the Western Downs town of Dalby have been warned to brace for more flash flooding today with river catchments swollen by heavy rain that lashed the district yesterday yet to reach their peaks.

With continued thunderstorms and rain expected across much of the Dalby district today, Western Downs Regional Council and emergency services crews are bracing for the Myall Creek to peak

TimiBoy
12-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Well geez I guess I don't need to take a trip now, the need is right here.

Any Ausfishers in trouble won't be reading this right now, and when you do, I bet you won't say a word! Don't be silly, put your hand up.

I can't afford to provide digging services for free when things dry up a bit, but for affected folks we will give a 10% discount, unless your insurance is paying!;D;D;D

Mumsy and I are praying for you all, whether you want it or not!

Cheers,

Tim

jimbamb
12-01-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm in hervey bay
Willing to help in any way if anyone this area(HB Maryborough etc) needs it.Have space,ute.beds,boat etc
Don't be too proud to ask
Jim

PinHead
12-01-2011, 11:20 AM
anyone in brisbane..or even as far as Dalby etc..can and will check your air cond..do insurance reports etc..no charge.

wamjam
12-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Im at Burliegh waiting to go back to Toowoomba, post here if you need a hand with anything !!

Scott

Crestcutter
12-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Funny you should say that you wouldnt hear from them Tim. With new technology i have been under here in Dalby longer than anyone in Queensland. But thanks to satellite internet and mobile phones i know exactly whats going on. And i dont need any help, im cruising the outback bay lol.

mitch92
12-01-2011, 01:19 PM
When i get bak to rocky anyone in that rea/yeppoon/emu park etc who needs a hand i have a ute and can help

Janelle
12-01-2011, 09:50 PM
If anyone is keen to help you can contact Volunteering Qld. They will be coordinating volunteers. Essentially you give them your skills, what you are prepared to do, where you will go and what dates you can do and they will match you with a need. Even if you have week off in Feb or March and can go then let them know and they will set you up. Their website is struggling at the moment but it is www.volunteeringqld.org.au (http://www.volunteeringqld.org.au) or phone 1800 994 100

Volunteering has never been so easy
New toll-free number to manage volunteer interest for Queensland floods
Volunteering Qld has set up a toll-free number for those who want to volunteer for the Queensland floods.
Volunteering Qld CEO, Jelenko Dragisic, said the number, 1800 994 100, will allow Australians to express their interest to assist during the lengthy recovery process.
"The country has seen the devastation of the floods and they want to help, this new number provides a central point to record all these offers of assistance," Mr Dragisic said.
"We encourage people to call and register with our Community Response to Extreme Weather (CREW) program and be prepared to help later, as various volunteer support will be required over the coming months."
Volunteering Qld works closely with key disaster management agencies and will notify volunteers registered with CREW of any opportunities to help with the recovery.
To register contact the CREW team on 1800 994 100 or visit volunteeringqld.org.au

Stay safe everyone and our thoughts are with those who are affected,

Janelle

jimbamb
13-01-2011, 08:10 AM
RE my post above

My phone no is 0409068782

Call if i can help.
Jim

John Martin
13-01-2011, 11:31 AM
I am amazed at the generosity of the Australian public and businesses. We have had suppliers, customers and service industries rallying to raise funds. Even the Aus cricket team are doing their thing. I went into a major retailer yesterday and they have a collection point for donations through their point of sale. It was easy to drop $50 off the credit card and I felt for the thousands of families that have lost so much.

finga
13-01-2011, 11:47 AM
If anyone needs emergency accommodation let me know.
We still have the house in Brisbane that's liveable, and hopefully dry.

Grimnir
13-01-2011, 02:05 PM
For those that are heading out to help out others clean up their houses and businesses another community I am a part of has written up a good document on what can be done. Pass it around. http://floodcleanup.wordpress.com

TheRealAndy
13-01-2011, 04:57 PM
I am heading out this weekend to help clean up some house at jindalle. Send me a PM if keen to help out.

aussiefool
13-01-2011, 06:34 PM
OK I'm in Chinderah and have a spare room/annex for anyone who need a place to stay while the rebuild. I will not be able to get home till late Friday Avo as I'm stuck in Newcastle Till tomorrow morning.If you need the room call me on 0432230207 and it is yours aslong as you need it
Aussiefool
Andrew

PinHead
13-01-2011, 06:53 PM
bugger me..Bunnings at Stafford sold out of welly boots but found another place with some.plus gloves, disinfectant..shovels..even managed to hire the 2nd last generator at Kennards at brendale..start cleaning out a business premises at Sumner in the morning,

seastorm
13-01-2011, 07:15 PM
If there is any small business out there doing it a bit tough due to the floods this link might help you.

http://www.qraa.qld.gov.au/index.php?option=com_qraa&view=detail&id=201&Itemid=89

wamjam
14-01-2011, 07:16 PM
G'day all, Im at Sunnybank and would like someone to give me an address to go to in the morning !!!, to help clean up!!!. I don't want to register for a half day clean up, thats time waisting...I don't know my way around Brisbane, so give me an address I can wack into the tom tom and go....

Scott 0428231116

Booked tomorrow!!!!

Scott

Richo1
26-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Hi all,

Thanks heaps for all the offers of help. Response from volunteers was amazing.
We went under, had 3.5m of water in our front yard, according to my boat's sounder. Downstairs had to be gutted but upstairs is okay with minor damage. After nearly 2 weeks since it all started moved back in tonight :) , hence finally back on the internet. Anyone in the Graceville area that needs a hand let me know.

Regards,

Richo

Gippslander
08-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Gidday. I am in Victoria, a builder, and would like to lend a hand around the Tully area. When would be a good time to come up and as I will only bring a tent and the tinny, is there anywhere left to stay?
Cheers, Gippslander.

STUIE63
08-02-2011, 08:33 PM
maybe send a pm to member Googarra he might Know what needs doing and where you can stay
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/member.php?u=78900
Stuie

Alchemy
08-02-2011, 09:05 PM
I believe Banana Backpackers in Tully are open or very close to it, and good advice from Stuie too.