PDA

View Full Version : Holding that Rod.

URAGANGI
01-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Just wondering what goes through other folks minds while they are waiting for that first strike or for their own PB big one. Or just when your out on a beach fishing sorty and the weather is far less than average and your still the only one out there tuffing it out.

Share some stories, thoughts or even better have a few laughs it's all good.

Cheers
Gav.

jimbamb
02-01-2011, 10:28 AM
was sitting in the boat on noosa river one day.. caught a few undersize fingermarks and just vegeing out generally..
next thing the rod has gone out of my hand and last seen disappearing into the deep.
would have loved to have known what took it.
Jim

kevy
02-01-2011, 02:46 PM
yo jimjamb, same thing happened to me today, rod in holder no drag then the sh t hit the fan or should i say water, worse thing it was my best stick, cheers kevy.

kevy
02-01-2011, 02:50 PM
yo jimjamb, same thing happened to me today, best rod & reel,cheers kevy. no drag rod in holder last seen as a splash,

kevy
02-01-2011, 02:52 PM
oops sorry, kevy

nathank
02-01-2011, 04:34 PM
had it happen a little while back (month or so) had two rods out one had a live mullet the other had a rediculous bait on it just for fun .. i was fishing for jacks and the second bait was a live pike at least 25cms.. just as luck would have it i was bringing in my 1st rod to rebait with a fresh livie when the second rod gives a few ticks, didnt think anything of it till i started to walk over to the live bait bucket when all hell breaks loose i just manage to get to the baitrunner before a birdsnest, set the hook and the thing didn't slow up on a drag set for jacks!! long story short it did me 50 meters up the river under a big boat... would love to have know what it was? same spot i caught a 60cm/4 kg model and it was much much bigger and stronger than this fish.

bushweek
02-01-2011, 06:00 PM
was very slow fishign one day at hutchies fishing a pinnicle we know of when my mate goes stuff this, grabs the whiting rod puts on a strip bait and sends it down, sure enough that rod got the only good strike of the day. he was rather embaressed about it because i had pleaded with him not to put it out because i knew it would happen.

wamjam
03-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Its funny how, if you sit there concentrating on catching a fish it doesn't seem to happen and when you drift off thinking about how good it would be to have a bigger shed or something stupid like that, "BANG" :osomething smashes your bait and you have to turn around and find or catch it before its gone.

Scott

URAGANGI
03-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Well on the lost rods side of things, I can vouch that I've added to Davies Locker.
Going back a few years ago when I was in my early teens, I was one a beach fishing trip south of Ballina.
During the last part of trip I had to cut it short, due to a change in the weather. A stiff southeaster had moved in. And in turn that meant That I had to move out. When you start feeling that sting on your ankle's from the sand being blown, It's game over.
At this point I was still relucktant in going home, since a three hour drive was infront of me, I decided that a better location would be a better option. And that chosen location was near the mouth of the Richmond River.
Haveing now found a more sane place to fish I set up camp, as nightfall was just around the corner.
At that time of year I was fishing during the Neap Tides. (high High's and big Lows) The daily events had started takeing it's toll, my eyes were getting heavy I was missing fish and I need sleep badly.
With this in mind I set my brand new rod up for the very last cast and retired back into my swag with the rod full view.
Sure enough I drifted off into a deep sleep. The tide was on the make and coming in fast. Time has now passed and my rod has now been covered by water, I'm still asleep none the wiser. Still more time passes and the tide is now lapping at my feet while I'm inside the swag.
As you could imagine I awoke with a fright. It's dark your alone your feet are wet......WET!...............Shit were's my rod?
By the time I waded out of my swag and searched for my rod, I'm far too late. From here I'm only guessing that the tide has floated my rod and reel away, or a fish has slamed my rod while I was asleep, a tangle has happend and my rods been draged away. I still think option one is correct.
Now just to finish this yarn. That lost rod of mine was a gift for my 21st birthday.
This rod was built by my father. He'd spent hours building it. The rod itself was a
Custom Butterworth Surf Blank. I had some explaing to do when I got home. I made sure that the three hour journey home took longer than normal.

As a few years rolled on, being now my 30th birthday, My dear old dad made a duplicate copy of the original rod that was carelessly lost. This particular rod, has now been retired only too be handed down to a new family arrival later in future.

Cheers
Gav.