PDA

View Full Version : What have you lost when trailering????

Jarrah Jack
01-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Amazing the type and amount of things that can find their way off a rig when on the road..

I'll start off with an experience with a mates rig. We were towing his 565 HH up to Bermagui when we decided it was time for a pit stop on the side of the road. Whilst in the process of the stop I looked down and there was a wheel missing from his tandem trailer. We had no idea when it dislodged but we worked out how.

All his other wheels were loose and it appeared that he'd neglected to tighten the nuts when he did the bearings. An extremely dangerous thing to happen and lucky no one was injured..

I've heard stories of all sorts of things escaping from boats on the road and on the water...

Any tales out there??????????????????

finga
01-01-2011, 08:02 PM
I found a marine aerial at the turn off to Ayers Rock when I rode to Darwin via Adelaide.
That kinda had me thinking a bit.

The-easyrider
01-01-2011, 08:09 PM
My first fishing boat and second trip out all went fine untill we got home and found that all the life jackets and the esky lid had blown out. the worst thing was that the wife asked if they would be alright and I said yes, I still hear about it from time to time as she likes to tell the story to all that will listen

tunaticer
01-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Lost the whole shebang, trailer and all once. All I can deduce from it is someone had pulled the Rclip out of the end of the pin in a Hayman Reece towbar. I know I checked the coupling 15 mins prior and all was well. But I never ever touch that R clip or take the tongue out of the towbar so it was not something i usually check (back then, do now every time).

aussiefool
01-01-2011, 09:25 PM
I found a marine aerial at the turn off to Ayers Rock when I rode to Darwin via Adelaide.
That kinda had me thinking a bit.

Most likely they were just off to the Todd River regatta

Argle
02-01-2011, 02:58 PM
First boat many years ago did the usal new boatie thing and had a wheel bearing let go - it was only the mudguard that stopped the wheel heading off into the bush. Not long after was travelling home from the dam when another wheel went sailing past us?? what the? new bearings gone? nope wheelstuds stripped:o and off went the wheel bent the axle on impact and the hub was fubar. Got it tilt trayed home and on arrival found the winch post bolts had stripped too:o That was it - advertised the trailer free to a good home got $200 - could have sold it 500 times??? And splashed out on a new trailer - problem solvered!! Four boats later and Im still pretty paranoid about wheels coming off!

Cheers
Scott

NAGG
02-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Came close to loosing the boat once on a trip from Hinchinbrook to Sydney ....... Out near Cessnock ....... heard a mighty racket coming from behind and when I checked - The two U bolts that held the winch post to the trailer frame had sheared and the boat had slid back 2 feet and was only stopped by the tiedown strap - the post only remaided attached by the safety chain ( the webbing must have broken earlier & lead the the other breakages) -- -- We had to cut up anchor ropes to secure the boat for the remaining 150km of the trip.

As far as other stuff goes - yeh the usual ..... life jackets , wet weather gear ..... but I'm buggered if I know how I lost a 50lt down under fiberglass esky:-?

Chris

Jarrah Jack
02-01-2011, 04:58 PM
As far as other stuff goes - yeh the usual ..... life jackets , wet weather gear ..... but I'm buggered if I know how I lost a 50lt down under fiberglass esky:-?

Chris

G'day Chris Whatdoya mean the usual...lifejackets ww gear and an esky..

Thats not bad going..Wouldn't mind following you on a road trip, but not too close.;D

NAGG
02-01-2011, 05:38 PM
G'day Chris Whatdoya mean the usual...lifejackets ww gear and an esky..

Thats not bad going..Wouldn't mind following you on a road trip, but not too close.;D

Yeh , dont get too close ........ spare wheel was hanging on by one nut on my trip up to Awoonga a week or so ago ::)

chris

charleville
02-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Yeh , dont get too close ........ spare wheel was hanging on by one nut on my trip up to Awoonga a week or so ago ::)

A little off topic but not too far so, I hope...

It is interesting just how much strength there is in wheel studs.

Thirty years ago, I drove my car towing a steel box trailer full of stuff from Hervey Bay to the Gold Coast.

Before we left Hervey Bay, I noticed that one wheel stud on one of the rear wheels was broken. At the time, time was of the essence, I thought. It is material to mention that, although I was trained as an electronics engineer, in our first couple of years of study at uni, all engineers did the same subjects which included bit of mechanical engineering design. I remembered from that training that usually the size of bolts and nuts are specified to handle loads with big factors of safety. I recalled that a factor of safety of four was pretty common and so I took a punt that since I still had four or the five wheel studs in place, then the wheel was unlikely to fall off.

After arriving safely at the Gold Coast, I checked under the hubcap of the wheel in question and discovered that another stud had sheared off. Well! With only three out of five studs holding on the rear wheel, i decided that the risk factor was now too high and that I had better get the studs replaced.

It was only when I picked up the car from the mechanic after the job that he showed me that in fact three of the five studs had sheared and that I was driving around in my 1971 Kingswood with only two studs out of five holding on one of the rear driving wheels.

Whew!

I wonder if they still make'em strong like that!

oldie
02-01-2011, 08:25 PM
buckets just numerous buckets over the years doesn't matter where i put em somehow one truck and off they go!! lucky they are 99c at super cheap... and once was bouncing the old boat off the trailer at ramp and the whole trailer came off the tow ball so lucky for the safety chain otherwise the trailer would have been good as gone

Stik-ugly
02-01-2011, 09:34 PM
I had sitting in the back of the boat was a yellow bucket with a flip top lid ,they where handing them out at last years tackle and tinny show,I never looked like loosing it, trips down the coast on the m1 and out to the dams.One day I headed out to Moogerah for a test and tune day and I ended up removing the se sport foil on the motor to see if it would make any difference, so I thought I would put the bolts ,nuts and spacers in the yellow bucket so I wouldn't loose them . Bugger me when I got home ,no yellow bucket

ozscott
02-01-2011, 09:35 PM
A full side curtain - my own fault..didnt tab it down properly.

Cheer

GBC
02-01-2011, 10:45 PM
1. Prop and skeg when the support arm failed up near Gympie

2. Driving home to Hervey Bay in the Mrs' BMW following a boat. "look at the pretty fishing line that's come loose" - About 5 seconds later we had 100 yds of the crap wrapped around the thermo fan.........

Aunty Jack
02-01-2011, 10:57 PM
I was once comming back from the Tweed a few years back when my leaf spring colapsed.
I used a pice of timber that was in the boot for the jack and did a make shift spacer to get me back home some hours latter.

marto78
03-01-2011, 07:27 AM
Wasnt a boat trailer but the work box trailer and we nearly lost the whole lot, we had been towing it around for about 2 months all over NSW loaded with aircons and the bolts mounting the haymen reece tow bar to the car must have come loose and sheared off on one side dropping the lot on the ground.

Craigo
03-01-2011, 08:12 AM
left my wallett on the side of the boat after crabbing one day, got home and was most pi**ed off when I realsied what I did!

It was Xmas eve a couple of years ago and was pretty upset not to have credit cards etc over the holidays as we were about to go away!
About to head the 30ks back to the ramp in hope of some miracle it had fallen straight off and was still there (didnt hold a lot of hope!!), when a guy phoned to say he had picked it up less than 1 k from home
Couldnt believe it had travelled that far a 100kmph and finally fell off down the road!
Gave the guy all my cash in the wallet, about $40 and told him to buy a carton on me

Jarrah Jack
03-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Although the title is about trailering I also said in the intro that it could include when on the water so here is a bit of a confession.

Just last year I put some new rod holders on the boat. We were out fishing and decided to move to another spot. For some dumb reason I left one of the new outfits with an imported US 850ss penn reel in the holder. I said to my mate watch that rod and if it starts to wanna go over grab it. Was hurling along and hit a bow wave mate said "your rod just went overboard"......Never got to even use that reel:'(

Was also at Bermagui a number of years ago and a big Bertie came in with some sad looking boys on board. The story was that the boat had aired off a big wave and the rocket launcher snapped. About 10 grand worth of penn inter outfits went over as well............