PDA

View Full Version : Product recall- Castrol Boating Grease

ShaneC
29-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Just a heads up...

There is a product recall for Castrol Super Boating Marine Grease in todays paper.

Apparently it has been labelled wrong and is not suitable for wheel bearings, steering cables, or prop splines, or anything else in wet environments.

It affects batches from 26 Oct 2010, and the serial numbers are in the Courier Mail. I have rung Castrol to find out more and they have yet to ring me back.

I have used this batch with no ill effects (yet!) but I guess I will be doing six wheel bearings on the weekend after doing it less than a month ago.

So it may be worth redoing your bearings while this weather is shit if this affects you. Its a pain in the arse and has really given me the shits, but I guess the fact they have recalled it will stop someone doing a roadside bearing jobby....

Shane

ShaneC
29-12-2010, 05:57 PM
SORRY!!!

Just realised this has been covered, my bad...

Mods please delete

charleville
29-12-2010, 06:56 PM
SORRY!!!

Just realised this has been covered, my bad...

Mods please delete

Nah - leave it, please. I did not know of this until reading this thread. It does no harm if a couple of these posts on important safety related topics stay up.

Many thanks to ShaneC for posting.

captain rednut
29-12-2010, 07:23 PM
was the stuff you bought still blue in colour???

ShaneC
29-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah mate, was still blue. I did notice my bearings got hotter than usual on a recent trip to Agnes but it put it down to the fact I had just moved the axles and the extra weight on the front axle was the reason for the heat. Now I am not so sure.... I did use some older grease I had on at least a couple of wheels, but dont know which ones, so I guess best bet is to redo the lot.

rowanda
30-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Its about a recall on a Castrol product called Boating Grease.

If you have a 500gram tub that you have bought which has Q0801419 stamped on the rim of the white tub this product has been incorrectly labelled and contains another type of grease, not suitable for boating. Any other tubs are not affected.

Hazard
Using this product may result in detrimental performance and potential mechanical failure.

If you have this grease of have already used this grease please ring this number 1800 226 561

GLXMAN
30-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Just a heads up...

There is a product recall for Castrol Super Boating Marine Grease in todays paper.

Apparently it has been labelled wrong and is not suitable for wheel bearings, steering cables, or prop splines, or anything else in wet environments.

It affects batches from 26 Oct 2010, and the serial numbers are in the Courier Mail. I have rung Castrol to find out more and they have yet to ring me back.

I have used this batch with no ill effects (yet!) but I guess I will be doing six wheel bearings on the weekend after doing it less than a month ago.

So it may be worth redoing your bearings while this weather is shit if this affects you. Its a pain in the arse and has really given me the shits, but I guess the fact they have recalled it will stop someone doing a roadside bearing jobby....

Shane

Hi Shane, and others,
found a reference here,
http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/998593

As would have it, I was looking for "marine" wheel bearing grease this morning,
Fortunately, a phone call made me postpone my purchase

I did see a tube of INOX marine grease suitable for high temperature at Repco,
May go back and give it a go as I'm having trouble with the bearings on my new Dunbier and what I suspect is a warped rotor, may be the breaks or both?
Regards,
Gary

Edit:
After reading the recall notice and the included PDF,
Appears to be only the 500g tub that has the incorrect labeling