PDA

View Full Version : Hydrofield Water Leak help needed

Jaguar 18
29-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi Guys
I have been chasing a leak in the RH hull, I have replaced all the things that have been suggested and had checked the hull for cracks etc.
Today when I was out I found where the water is coming from, it's entering the RH hull via the steering cable/electrical wiring that comes out of the pod when it gets choppy and water fills the pod up, it runs from there into the RH hull, when this compartment fills up it enters the interior of the boat via the hole for the same cables from the inside of the boat that goes to the pod.
My question is how do you seal these holes and cables???
I have attached a couple of pictures so you can see what I mean.

Dan5
29-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Sikaflex for quick fix.......But i'd be looking at re-routing those cables through the transom higher up somewhere if possible? Then running them through some cable glands or similar.

They are just asking to leak where they are fitted now.

Dan.

Duckfish
29-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Not much that can be done. I've got a similar problem in my 565L but now I have fitted a bilge pump with a float switch and it doesn't bother me anymore.
Duckfish

Vitamin Sea
30-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Same problem in the 19C, always have to keep it in mind when I'm out, the wet toes are usually a indication that water needs to be pumped out:P

As already mentioned, only way to fix it properly is to re-rout the cables to a higher position.

Cheers

VS

zakster
30-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Sikaflex for quick fix.......But i'd be looking at re-routing those cables through the transom higher up somewhere if possible? Then running them through some cable glands or similar.

They are just asking to leak where they are fitted now.

Dan.
As dan says, Those cables should be going thru the wall of your transom not thru your pod. Never seen a hydro with cables thru the pod before.

deckie
30-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Anything that uses the current holes would be worth checking first.
Yeah cable glands the first port of call. Cheap solution worth testing to see if it fixes the issue. Make sure they're IP68 and dont go too cheap and nasty coz u can pick up less waterproof ones for maybe 3-5 bux. a GOOD nylon or stainless one should work but agree it seems a bit of a weird place for the cable entry.
If it were me i'd dp the cable glands and see how they go before cutting holes in transom to get them away from the slop.

Could also use a through bulkhead fitting that fits the existing sized holes....or a double ended thru bulkhead...as long as the covering is well clamped to it maybe with stainless hose clamps.

Jaguar 18
03-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi guys
It's been a while but after refitting the all the cables through one hole and the fitting a rubber gland to the other, and having all the cables/steering hoses etc in one conduit, it was off for a test run and it still leaked :(.
So back to the drawing board, I ran a hose on the inside of the boat over the RH hull to see if it was coming from the inside, and it started leaking from the bung plug, I then removed the battery and oil reservoir and pulled up the carpet, and found two 5-10cent piece size holes where what looks like a battery box had been fitted and removed before, A bit of fiberglass, replace the carpet and battery box, and the last trip no water leak from the hull :)
Now it makes sense why there is a bilge pump right at the back of the deck, at the pod
I would say as people has suggested that the area where the cables come through on the pod was a bad design/idea of someone, so water has leaked through there and then up the cables etc into the inside of the boat and then ran down to rear deck, where a bilge pump was fitted to remove it, but with the holes in the deck it was instead running into the hull.