PDA

View Full Version : Radio checks - Please indicate your transmission channel

TheRealAndy
27-12-2010, 08:53 PM
I have ranted about this before, but when you are sitting in a communications room at a VMR or Coastguard, you are monitoring 8-10 radios. When someone calls in, or requests a radio check it can be difficult to work out what channel the call is coming in on, especially when its busy.

So if you want someone to answer you when asking for a radio check, PLEASE, tell us what channel you are calling in on.

Lucky_Phill
27-12-2010, 09:13 PM
I always do.... doesn't everyone ? :-?

Thought that would have been made clear when you got your licence.. 8-)

what ?... you mean there are people out there using VHF's without a licence !! :o

Yep, Andy, I always state what channel as a matter of courtesy.

My boats name is " I'll say this three times ". ;D ;D ;D

OH, I think the rain is gettin to me ::) ::)

LP

Roughasguts
27-12-2010, 09:21 PM
So what do you say if you don't have a boat Name???

Guess I could use my own name.

FishHunter
27-12-2010, 09:26 PM

You use the rego numbers on the side of your boat as a call sign

TheRealAndy
27-12-2010, 09:28 PM

My polycraft is not named, so I just log in using polycraft as a name. Your name would also work. If you are logging on, VMR/CG will request a rego number anyway. The rego number is needed so the water police can track you or your family down if you fail to log off.

Roughasguts
27-12-2010, 10:01 PM
My polycraft is not named, so I just log in using polycraft as a name. Your name would also work. If you are logging on, VMR/CG will request a rego number anyway. The rego number is needed so the water police can track you or your family down if you fail to log off.

Thanks Andy I have used my rego number before.

Quite a few years ago I flew Aircraft and after reading out the rego we would say a Cessna, or Tobago, for better and quicker identification! Just wondering would it be wise to also mention you have a green half cab or runabout Etc.

Cheers

TheRealAndy
27-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks Andy I have used my rego number before.

Quite a few years ago I flew Aircraft and after reading out the rego we would say a Cessna, or Tobago, for better and quicker identification! Just wondering would it be wise to also mention you have a green half cab or runabout Etc.

Cheers

Yup, all details are good and will be noted. Dont forget to mention the dog if you have one on board!

sleepygreg
27-12-2010, 10:41 PM
AAAARRRRRRGGGHHHHHHH....please please please....if you havent done a radio course for your MVROCP...do it!!!!!! Even if you dont dothe exam..at least some things should sink in. Standard calling procedure could save YOUR life - or someone elses. I will be helping man the radio room for the Moreton Bay 8kg Billfish Challenge this year.....and if the 25th anniversary year is anything to go by (we had 60 boats to look after)...the level of radio proficiency leaves a lot to be desired, and we pride ourselves in taking the heat off the coastguard that weekend to look after our 'pigeons'.

bigdonk
28-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Hay sleepygreg,

I just installed my VHF radio..( just found out i need a license by reading this thread) I live on the goldy. Where do i go or book on line to do this corse?? How much?? I want to have the correct useage for all my safety gear!!

BD

Lucky_Phill
28-12-2010, 01:14 PM
My typical log in would go something like this

" VMR 455 VMR455 VMR455 this is ReBait, Rebait on 73"

The station would identify themselves and ask what they can do for me.. I say "

" VMR455 this is Rebait and I would like to log on. My details are :- 6.2mtr white alloy centre cab, 4 P.O.B.. 3 adult and 1 child. Vessel Registration number Papa Sierra six two zero Quebec. Destination North Barwon Banks, ETR Mooloolaba harbour sixteen hundred hours, today "

The above is not perfect, but gets the message across with all details needed.

Then if I am not going to make it back by stated time, I radio in again to give updated ETR. Once back " safely " in the harbour, I log off... very important to log off, and thank the VMR for their coverage.

LP.

QF3 MROCP
04-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Hay sleepygreg,

I just installed my VHF radio..( just found out i need a license by reading this thread) I live on the goldy. Where do i go or book on line to do this corse?? How much?? I want to have the correct useage for all my safety gear!!

BD

BD
If you want to do a face-to-face course, contact the local Southport VMR or Coast Guard. One of them will be able to direct you to a course. An alternative is to have a look at www.vhfradiocourse.com (http://www.vhfradiocourse.com) and learn at home at a self pace..
Any Q&A - send me PM

QF3 MROCP
04-01-2011, 09:43 PM
My typical log in would go something like this

" VMR455 this is Rebait and I would like to log on. My details are :- 6.2mtr white alloy centre cab, 4 P.O.B.. 3 adult and 1 child. Vessel Registration number Papa Sierra six two zero Quebec. Destination North Barwon Banks, ETR Mooloolaba harbour sixteen hundred hours, today "

Then if I am not going to make it back by stated time, I radio in again to give updated ETR. Once back " safely " in the harbour, I log off... very important to log off, and thank the VMR for their coverage.

LP.

If you have a mobile phone onboard, Qld Water Police have requested the number be requested as well as vessel rego. It's used as another means of contact when the vessel is overdue

Scorpion44
05-01-2011, 12:00 AM
First Post!

Hey guys, on a regular basis I hear: "Radio Check" with nothing else (no call signs, no channel number). This is usually on channel 21 (?), and I think its Redcliffe VMR that usually answer. (I monitor local marine VHF channels @ home)

All I can think is RUDE RUDE RUDE, not to mention, not following the rules!

hakuna
05-01-2011, 07:41 AM
[quote=Lucky_Phill;1236324]My typical log in would go something like this

Please also provide a mobile phone number if you have one, very good if you cannot be contacted by radio/ also assists the water police if you are not loggrd back in on time

cheers

fat-buoy
06-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Is it just me... or should we all be doing our bit for the coastguard rescue ... an associate membership costs less than $100 year.. from memory it costs me $65 a year..... then you have a call sign to use when you log on when you go out for a fish... and they get a few extra $$ to help them do their bit over the year.

Doesn't matter if you are a member here or there ,you can always use the same call sign to log on... I think it is actually best to do this as the home coastguard centre will have all the detail about you, your boat and emergency contacts etc if needed.

ahamay
06-01-2011, 10:26 PM
AAAARRRRRRGGGHHHHHHH....please please please....if you havent done a radio course for your MVROCP...do it!!!!!! Even if you dont dothe exam..at least some things should sink in. Standard calling procedure could save YOUR life - or someone elses. I will be helping man the radio room for the Moreton Bay 8kg Billfish Challenge this year.....and if the 25th anniversary year is anything to go by (we had 60 boats to look after)...the level of radio proficiency leaves a lot to be desired, and we pride ourselves in taking the heat off the coastguard that weekend to look after our 'pigeons'.

Download the MROCP Handbook from Australian Maritime College in PDF format.

http://www.amc.edu.au/handbook

gofishin
07-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Hi Andy,
Yes would make life a lot easier for you guys!

I always add the channel when calling between boats too, as it is a great help when the boat has two radios, and especially if the skipper is not at the helm. I monitor VHF and 27MHz on my club channels & when I am in the cockpit and someone calls me and doesn’t say the channel they are calling on I have no idea which radio they called on, even though I am only about 2 – 3m away from the radios.

Funnily enough I did this the other day and someone made a wise crack about “no need to add the channel, if he’s one it he’ll hear you”. Others quickly pointed out the error of his ways though…:)
Cheers
Brendon

tropicrows
07-01-2011, 01:08 PM
I always log on with a similar message to Phill, but I don't like to give out my mobile phone number.

However I am a member of a VMR and they have all my details on record (boat description & all contact details), but still insist I give them all my boat details each time, why can't they refer to my member number.

mmmouse
07-01-2011, 05:52 PM
i think this brings up another question.....

why are vhf radios not compulsory on boats going offshore but epirbs are????

a vhf radio would get you help a hell of a lot quicker than an epirb!!!!

as long as people have them turned channel 16 and actually and listen to them!!!!