PDA

View Full Version : Need auto electrician help

Jeremy
27-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Having some problems with trailer lights. I have tried everything and now located the problem to my car. Must be a blown fuse somewhere, but I have looked at all the 10-15 A fuses and can't find the problem. Looked at the manual and it wasn't much help. I have checked the connections to the trailer plug next to my towball and they are all solid and clean.

The car is a 1999 Toyota Hilux 4WD. Can anyone tell me where to look for the problem fuse? Which electrical system are the rrailer lights typically connected to. Both my brake and tail light are not working in the trailer, but are fine in the car. Yes I have checked the globes multiple times and there is no power to the brake/tail connectors in the trailer or at the trailer plug.

Was all working well 2 weeks ago, so I don't think it can be a wiring issue and I have checked the connections at the plug end. Also indicator lights work well on trailer still, so I do not think it is an earth issue.

Help!

FishHunter
27-12-2010, 02:59 PM
The trailer wiring is typically connected directly to your tail light wiring at the tail lights or nearby. If the cars lights are fine and there is no power at the socket then your wiring is suspect. Lots of lazy bums just use scotch clips when they do wiring and they will have bad contacts over time.

I would start by checking the wiring at the trailer plug and if thats ok then follow the trailer wiring till you find where it connects into the vehicles wiring and make sure all those contacts are good.

finga
27-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Follow the wiring from the trailer socket on the car to where it's connected to the utes wiring loom.
They probably used those blue connectors like below
They're nothing but problems.
http://www.biasboating.com.au/images/PRODUCT/medium/329.jpg

FishHunter
27-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Follow the wiring from the trailer socket on the car to where it's connected to the utes wiring loom.
They probably used those blue connectors like below
They're nothing but problems.
http://www.biasboating.com.au/images/PRODUCT/medium/329.jpg

Generally known as a Scotch Clip or lock

wrxhoon
27-12-2010, 05:03 PM
there is no power to the brake/tail connectors in the trailer or at the trailer plug.

You answered your own question, no power to the trailer plug but the car lights work, that means there is a problem on the wiriing somewhere between the trailer plug and your cars lights. Like others said check the connectors, scotch clips don't work for long especially when you go near salt water.

finga
27-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Generally known as a Scotch Clip or lock
Cheers. Thanks for that because I could not remember the correct name for them.

Around here they're known as the blue pain in the @rse because they're always failing.
I reckon autosparky dudes use them just because they'll always get call back work when (not if) the mongrel b@st@rd of things fail.

FishHunter
27-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Cheers. Thanks for that because I could not remember the correct name for them.

Around here they're known as the blue pain in the @rse because they're always failing.
I reckon autosparky dudes use them just because they'll always get call back work when (not if) the mongrel b@st@rd of things fail.

We get heaps of them on all the extra lights and stuff on the mine vehicles, spend a fair bit of my week taking them out and soldering the connections.

Jeremy
27-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I will be spending some time on my back tomorrow following the wires.

finga
27-12-2010, 07:42 PM
It should not be that hard to find matey.
It's usually towards the back under a big ball of insulation tape.
The tape is perfect for holding in moisture and other rubbish off the road to speed up the failing process up.

Jeremy
28-12-2010, 11:24 AM
finally got the bastard fixed. Was a wire connector where the trailer plug loom joins to the wires for the car lights. Under a big ball of insulation tape ::) . There also seemed top be a problem with the wiring between the connector and the plug.

At least I haven't missed any good weather because of it, and I know all the connections at the trailer are good.

Thanks for all the helpful advice with this.

finga
28-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Was it black tape as well Jeremy??