PDA

View Full Version : Warning to anyone using Stephax Marine Carrum Downs - vic

mrmagoo01
25-12-2010, 05:44 PM
This is my first post here, However I feel compelled to pay $10 to subscribe so I may warn others. Firstly I would just like to note that because this is my first post I have minimal credibility. Your welcome to PM me and I will give you my phone number to verify my claim. I have also posted this on another large forum and posted my number in the boating section so I apologise if you have already read this. I am not another boat mechanic. I run a markerting and photography company. Some of the information I have written about is sourced from me googling the company na,e

Hi,

Just a warning to anyone thinking about taking their boat to stephax marine in Carrum downs. Apprantly These guys have started up about 6 months ago and often hand out flyers at the Carrum boat ramp. They used to be based in Queensland and the owner "craig" worked down her in Vic 20 years ago. (sourced from google and can not confirm if they are actually from QLD)

This is my story:

Being flat out with my work I had no time to do a carb tune and impeller kit myself and I couldn't get into any other mechanic before Christmas so I thought I would try these "new" guys out......what a massive mistake!

I took my boat down there for a carbie tune and new impeller and impeller kit.

Later that day they rang me to say that had come across a rusted bolt and needed to hit it with the oxy, I asked how much the job was going to cost and they said they would call me back with the price. I told them not to start until I had a price. Two days later and I get a phone call telling me my boat is ready and the cost was $840

They tried to charge $840 for a carbie clean and impeller install. When I questioned this they became very aggressive. They then tried to seize my boat and blocked it in with another boat, Even after I offered to pay them $500, which after speaking with 3 other reputable mechanics deemed $500 to be at the high end of the market, They refused to release my boat.

After lots of yelling, more so from them, they settled on $600 after they admitted that they had "bumped" the hours up.

Anyway I got the boat home and fired it up, and it ran ok, apart from some water spraying out of the leg.

A week later I took my little kids out to Westernport for some fishing. On the way out we noticed no water was pumping through the engine, so we dropped anchor and tried to clear any blockage with no luck. 3 hours later and with two cold and frightened children I managed to call a friend to tow us back.

I decided to take the leg off myself the next day and I was shocked and disgusted to find they had replaced my working pump with a crappy old cracked second hand pump. I took the pump down to a reputable local Johnson dealer and asked him how old the pump was. He agreed that it was indeed a very worn out old pump and not even the right type of impeller for the type of engine. We were both amazed at how anyone could put such an old worn out pump with a cracked case into the engine.

I took my parts down Stephax Marine and confronted them, to which they denied they put old parts in my engine. They simply flat out lied to me. It was only when I said I would be taking them to court that they admitted to me that they had not put new parts in. They became aggressive and they even called the police on me! They police arrived and said it was a Civil matter. Stephax marine eventually gave me back $200.

However I now have a half cooked engine, I had to buy a new pump kit and install it.

The work these guys did was just awful, they made such a mess with the oxy and the negleted to grease anything or replace any orings.

These guys are flat out con-artists and liars.
They claim they are bankrupt, so even after ripping people off they still can't make a buck!

The fact is I have a young family and rely on my boat being in good working condition.

No one deserves to have their life or family's lift put at risk because of a dodgy mechanic.

These guys are cowboys and simply putting people’s lives in danger while also ripping them off.

I will be taking these guys to small claims.

Steer clear of them!

maimai
25-12-2010, 06:53 PM
yes read your other post on the other forum, good on you for posting this and letting the public know

Matt76
25-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Is that the same Stephax that were at Brendale Qld?

I heard a few ordinary stories about them up here too if it is the same company.

mrmagoo01
25-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Yes that's them, what have you heard? It doesnt surprise me!

lee8sec
26-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks for posting. Sad to here storys like this. Leigh

Jarrah Jack
26-12-2010, 04:39 PM
I also read the post on another site. Thanks for letting everyone know about these dodgies. I know a number of people with boats in the carrum area so I''l make sure the word gets out to them.

Matt76
26-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Yes that's them, what have you heard? It doesnt surprise me!

I only heard 'Dont go there' by a few mates years ago. One put his outboard in the be looked at and the bill that he got was enormous. I can't remember any more details other than the other guys saying 'I told you so'.

I have never had first hand dealings with them though so shouldn't really comment I guess....

Seahorse
26-12-2010, 08:10 PM
i thought the stephax marine at brendale had moved out to caboolture some where,

DATCOL
26-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Yes this is all true He was in Redcliffe QLD a few years back & moved to Brendale then disappeared over night My son took a motor to him & had trouble getting it back It was to be reckoned & after chasing him up for months Finley got it back & the same deal Second hand pistons2 different type the motor run but had no power So was ok in his tank but hopeless on the boat DONT GO NEAR THIS CROOK

simo2601
26-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Ah, so that's where he got too! Didn't even bother changing his name. Had a similar situation with them at Brendale QLD, and herd of plenty of others. Be sure to keep away!

Stuart
27-12-2010, 01:14 PM
And no one has broken this guys knee caps yet??????

Stu

GAD
27-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Another story of a ripped off boat owner or fisherman .
Why are these scum allowed to continue and restart somewhere else , there has to be a way to stop these Idiots .

jake0
27-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Why are these scum allowed to continue and restart somewhere else , there has to be a way to stop these Idiots .

yep, thats just the way it is now, even know of a boat builder that had to shut shop 2 or 3 times now and still allowed to trade, what gets me is PPL still pat him on the back and says its ok, pose thats the way the dice rolls

Jarrah Jack
27-12-2010, 07:37 PM

At least we've got these type of forums now so its much easier for word to get around. back before the net and forums it would've been a different story. These guys can't be too clever using the same name.

lee8sec
27-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Rip of the government & you get jail, rip of the public & you get a new company or bussiness name, go figure. Leigh

Lucky 1
27-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Trade and business names are just a revenue raising exercise for the State governments. They offer no protection to the business owner, in protection of that name, and in this case to the consumer.

MikeyS
29-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Business name registrations aren't meant to protect the business, Lucky 1. They are there so the consumer can find out the company or individuals behind a business.

So MrMagoo or anyone else interested can search here http://www.search.asic.gov.au/gns001.html to find out who is behind STEPHAX. Still got to pay for a full extract, so that sucks, but at least you can find out who has ripped you off and where they live.