PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Info - Cruisecraft Rogue 14 1970ish vintage

Scott nthQld
24-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi all,

I started a thread a while back asking for info about fibreglassing, for a revamp of the boat in the subject line.

The boat was bought new by my grandfather way back when my dad was a kid, so it is 40 odd years old and is in need of a total rebuild. Some of my earliest fishing memories are with my grandparents, in particular pop, who taught me the basics, like how to rig my own line, bait the hook and gathering bait and what to look for in a fishing spot.

My Grandfather has since past away (monday in fact) and the last time i saw him was in November when i went down to wollongong for a visit. Even then the last thing we spoke about was fishing. It was always spoken that when he was too ill/old to use the boat, i would take it and would carry on the fishing legacy, in fact one of my late grandmother's last requests (who passed on 13 years ago) was that he 'make sure Scott gets that boat. My parents were due to drive down just after christmas for a visit themselves and bring the boat back with them for me, unfortunately instead of a visit, we will be attending my pop's funeral.

Anyway, I promised pop that i would restore the boat back to its former glory, albeit with a few alterations of my own, and now more than ever I am completely resolved in making my last promise happen.

For now though, if any one can help, I am chasing any information on this model from spec sheets (deadrise, length, beam, hp etc) to old layout plans. i have emailed cruisecraft but have yet to receive a response (only emailed them yesterday), but in all honesty I'm not expecting them to have anything on such an old boat.

I will be turning the boat from a runabout with oldstyle back to back seating to either a small centre or side console, though with some rough drawings, the centre console appeals a bit more and allows more storage and an evenly loaded boat. Also toying with the idea of glassing in a plaque of some description in memory of my late grandparents.

deckie
24-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss,...with the great memories she sounds very much worth the effort as long as she isnt over the top poor condition. There are a few about and if u type cruisecraft rogue into google images there's one already converted to a cc that might give u some ideas.
I reckon she'll be a sweet fishing platform, soft dry ride for her size by the look of the flared bow and far more comfy than a tinnie, and cost bugger all to maintain and run. First thing is probably post a few pics so we can see her condition..especially close ups of anything you're worried about.
Cruisecraft will surely have some details..maybe a follow up email or call.
merry xmas.

maru222
28-12-2010, 10:22 AM
1 have owned 12 boats,and for its size cruisecraft rogue is a great boat.
i fished Narooma Montigue Island crossing the bar,not always in good weather.seal islands from Port Welshpool, outside fishing Inverloch , western port and Port Phillip tackerling waves in the 2 meter range.never in the hundreds of trips did that boat take any water over the bow or any were else for that matter. i loved the boat so much i put a brand new 70hp on it ,i did find that she was getting heavy in the stern with 3 tanks of fuel ,the bigger motor ,live bait tank,wooden bait board across the whole stern , two people and a hell of a lot of game fishing gear.
BEST SEAWORTHY "OLDER BOAT IN THE 14FT RANGE I KNOW OF"
good on you!

davo

savagetin
28-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Some info on the Rogue, It's 14' long with a beam of 6'6". It weighs 600 lbs and recommended Hp of 33 to 70. In 1972 they cost $895, hope this helps.

Tony

Scott nthQld
04-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

Just got back from Wollongong the other day (had to fly back so boat is still there, will go back when the flood waters are down and pick up the car and boat)

Whilst i was down there I had a bit of a closer look, there's a few crack/holes in the hull that had been dodgied up with a bit of fibreglass, but once the boat is home and stripped, it shouldn't be too hard to flip is over and re do them. Transom is good, surprisingly, yanked the motor around pretty hard and no flex which is good, also removed a few screws that were in ther for burley bucks and transducers, and the timber is still very solid. Still, won't stop me from replacing it, figured whilst i rebuild it I might as well take ALL timber out of the boat so i don't have to do it again later down the track.

Current motor is a 50hp mariner 4 stroke, one of the first 4 strokes out, did a bit of research and it's a heavy bastard at about 150kg. Motor still in good condition, but gearbox will need a rebuild I think, bit of corrosion around the leg. runs like new, put it on the muffs for a bit when i was down there. Once the boats done will get a really good service done, and see whether it will be worth putting a new donk....might even be able to go bigger, now that the weight's of a 4 stroke have come down...will turn it into a little rocket.

And yes, it was and will again be a fantastic little boat, I can remember as a kid being 20-30km offshore from Port kemlba in the little beast.

Only one request has been made by family....that i keep it purple, I've asked Dad, and my aunt and uncle to go through any old photo's they have and try and find a few with the boat. once I get into it, i'll do up a nice little histiry of the boat, from my Dad, uncle and aunt, fishing out of it, to times with nan, pop and the grandkids, to the years of what sitting idle can do to a boat, and eventually the revamped fish slayer it will become