PDA

View Full Version : Possible new Barra Record

Daintreeboy
22-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Early days but a good mate just rang to say he fished Monduran last night for two good fish, one 105 cm and another 125 cm. His uncle in the other Kayak caught one 135 cm and was fat. They kept it and she went 44.5 kilos (98 pounds).
I've just given them a few contacts to get an official weight asap as she will be losing weight as we speak but could still break the all tackle record.

They are not part of a club so not sure if it will get recognised but I told them to contact the DPI as well to age the fish etc.

Will post some pics as soon as I get them and let you all know.

Cheers, Mark.

gone_phishin
22-12-2010, 02:47 PM
We've just done the weigh-in on official certified scales we have at our home in Bundy, and witnessed by my wife as weighmaster/recorder for Bundy SFC...44.64 kg's

I've printed the IGFA Record Claim for him as he now has to fill it in, bring back to us for signature, and send his membership fee and record application fee to IGFA. No need to be a member of IGFA at time of capture according to IGFA Rep here in Queensland

Biggest Barra I've ever seen :o and out of a kayak!

I have photo's but will wait until he has had the chance to do his thing. An interview with the NewsMail has already been carried out.

Daintreeboy
22-12-2010, 02:58 PM
We've just done the weigh-in on official certified scales we have at our home in Bundy, and witnessed by my wife as weighmaster/recorder for Bundy SFC...44.64 kg's

I've printed the IGFA Record Claim for him as he now has to fill it in, bring back to us for signature, and send his membership fee and record application fee to IGFA. No need to be a member of IGFA at time of capture according to IGFA Rep here in Queensland

Biggest Barra I've ever seen :o and out of a kayak!

I have photo's but will wait until he has had the chance to do his thing. An interview with the NewsMail has already been carried out.

Is that you Jeff?
I was the guy you spoke to earlier!!

You were about the 20th person I called mate!! Didn't think claiming a record was so hard. I bet Dennis was pretty plesaed with himself!!

Thanks for your help mate.

gone_phishin
22-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Yeah that was me :) It was a pleasure to be a part of it...and he was ecstatic...especially when we worked out that he could claim the World Record :o

These things take time of course but everything looked right as far as weights, and all measurements were taken, and I've given him the info he needs to put the claim together. Notary's, line lengths, witnesses, girths, correct scales etc. etc. Not easy, but well worth it for this fish. There will be a wealth of information to come from her as well with Bill Sawynok now involved and hopefully DPI as well

XtremeBoony
22-12-2010, 03:17 PM
good effort fella's and records are there to be broken so well done. I think the record you are looking to better belongs to tinaroo if memory serves so another great effort to catch it in one of the more southern dams.

cheers from boony

gone_phishin
22-12-2010, 03:25 PM
you're right Boony...the World Record was 37.85 kgs from Tinaroo in 1999 by David Powell, according to IGFA, so it isn't just a minor increase in size and shows what Monduran can produce. With the spillway in action for the first time for a long time, there are obviously a lot of fish hanging around.

Daintreeboy
22-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Funny. Bill was one of the guys I rang before getting onto you. He was pretty blasé about the whole thing and didn't really seem to care. I guess now he knows its true he's keen to take a look!!

XtremeBoony
22-12-2010, 07:27 PM
hope that record comes through ok, seems like you have to dance through flaming hoops to get there....Keen to see a pic of the big girl though :)

cheers from boony

brisbane_boy
22-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Id give him a world record if he eats a fillet of it, lmao

Daintreeboy
22-12-2010, 08:53 PM
hope that record comes through ok, seems like you have to dance through flaming hoops to get there....Keen to see a pic of the big girl though :)

cheers from boony

Aye they sure do look at these things thouroughly. He has a good chance at this one but you never know. At least it was weighed with witnesses on certified IGFA scales. Cant' take that away form him :)

Apollo
22-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Saw photos on another site and boy it is a fat bugger. Absolute horse of a fish.

Steve

Steve B
22-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Saw it in real life...I mean dead...and yes, its a damn big fish. Congrats to the angler! And well done to Jeff for taking the time to assist in this blokes endeavours to claim the record. I guess you have to 'jump thru flaming hoops' for these things to ensure authenticity of any capture, particularly when world records are involved.....I cant see why they cant just 'trust' a fishermans word:-?:P:D:D:D....we never lie about these things;D;D;D;D

Well done mate. great fish.

Cheers Steve

wags on the water
22-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Just seen the pics. Very solid fish and a great effort. Congrats to the angler. Any idea on how long it took to reel it in and what gear was it taken on. Just interested on the type of gear used.

Cheers.
Wags

wamjam
22-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Done a quick google , to look at the pic , its a monster !!....It would be like having a 50hp on your kayak... Well done !..

Scott

krazyfisher
23-12-2010, 05:40 AM
Barramundi one for record books

Clinton Heathorn | 23rd December 2010

Mackay Daily Mercury[/URL]
(http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/#textlarger)

http://media.apnonline.com.au/img/media/images/2010/12/22/MDM_23-12-2010_ROP_06_BUN221210REC2.1_t325.jpg Denis Harrold with the unofficial world record barramundi he caught.
Contributed

%3Cbody%3E%3Cdiv%20id%3D%22adDiv%22%3E%3Ca%20href% 3D%22http%3A//ads.apn.co.nz/accipiter/adclick/CID%3Dfffffffcfffffffcfffffffc/aamsz%3DZ325X200/acc_random%3D20495360480/pageid%3D20495360480/site%3DZAUREGMACKAYDAILYMERCURY/area%3DZAUREGMACKAYDAILYMERCURY.NEWS.LOCAL.STORY.H ME/keyword%3Dmackay-daily-mercury%22%20target%3D_top%3E%3Cimg%20src%3D%22htt p%3A//apn-images.adbureau.net/apn/accipiter/images/AE1.gif%22%20alt%3D%22%22%20border%3D0%20%3E%3C/a%3E%3C/div%3E
[URL="http://ads.apn.co.nz/accipiter/adclick/CID=fffffffcfffffffcfffffffc/aamsz=Z325X200/acc_random=20495360480/pageid=20495360480/site=ZAUREGMACKAYDAILYMERCURY/area=ZAUREGMACKAYDAILYMERCURY.NEWS.LOCAL.STORY.HME/keyword=mackay-daily-mercury"]http://apn-images.adbureau.net/apn/accipiter/images/AE1.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/#print)

MACKAY’S Denis Harrold has landed a monster barramundi — an unofficial world record — while fishing from a kayak at Lake Monduran, near Bundaberg.
The Septimus property developer landed the monster fish, which tipped the scales at 44.6kg. It measured 135cm with a whopping girth of 107cm.
The Monduran fish broke the old mark, held from 1999 by a Lake Tinaroo fish weighing 37.85kg, by almost 7kg.
The big barra fell to a slow trolled 130 Squidgy slick rig soft plastic in black/gold colouration.
As well as the challenges of fighting such a big fish from a kayak, Mr Harrold hooked it on a “really light combo” because he “likes to accentuate the fight”.
Once it realised it was hooked, it peeled 80m of line from the reel before crashing across the lake’s surface.
“When I heard it crash I knew it was a big fish,” Mr Harrold said.
“I didn’t realise it was a world record barra, but I knew it was a snodger.”
Mr Harrold and his fishing partner, Mick Self, had landed about 15 barra during the four nights they had been at the dam.
Their haul had included five fish between 123 and 127cm.
With the water rushing over the spillway for the first time since 1992, Mr Harrold attributed the hot fishing to the big fishes’ desire to reach saltwater to spawn.
Bundaberg Sportfishing Club weighmaster/recorder Elle Hodge confirmed the catch on official scales yesterday.
But Mr Harrold’s joy was tempered after he was told he could not claim the record because he did not belong to a relevant sportfishing organisation.
However, Bundaberg Sportfishing Club secretary Geoff Hodge confirmed an International Gamefishing Association (IGFA) all tackle record application could be submitted with the appropriate fee.
“I was happy when I saw 135cm. When I saw 44.6kg on the scales I was ecstatic, but when I found out it was eligible for a world record, I was absolutely delighted,” Mr Harrold said.

gone_phishin
23-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Now that it's all out in the papers, here's is a shot or two of the now famous Barra....and it's weight.

There will be heaps of coverage of this fish I'm sure.

ian.young
23-12-2010, 01:26 PM
OMG that's huge. Great capture under any circumstances...from a kayak? Unbelievable!

Well done
Ian

Defore
23-12-2010, 03:30 PM
That's not a fish.
That be Moby Dick, the Great Silver Whale :o

Would have been fun to watch the kayak being towed.

Super catch, well done

Ian

Mick
23-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Holy Maccamundi!

Good luck with the record! I held a PENDING world record in spearfishing but was refused accreditation on the basis of not being afiliated with a freedive club and having some minor help from a friend in boating my fish.

More rules than a strip club...