PDA

View Full Version : Fisho's getting stuck in..

Jarrah Jack
21-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Heard last night that the Fisho's that patrol the southern area of Port Phillip Bay are finally concentrating on the snapper fishermen who are about in large numbers at the moment.

Disappointingly as many as one boat in every two have been over the limit of 3 per person. Some big fines on the way which is just great. To plunder those beautiful fish stocks to me is just selfish and very shortsighted. Much more so with the ones who have been caught well over the limit. There is a photo getting around of one ****** with a huge amount of fish in the boat. A real hero.

Why can't they work it out that if everyone did that there would be no fish for them to catch, neverlone their children.

Gyarados
21-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Doesnt really help the snapper closure in our favour one bit. These are the fishos letting us down.

Brad

TimiBoy
21-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks for highlighting this. We all need to be squeaky clean.

Cheers,

Tim

Jarrah Jack
21-12-2010, 08:58 PM
It looks like there is a bit of a fisho blitz around the bay with boats being searched in a number of places. I've never been searched yet but I should be on thursday morning when I go out.

Also read that there are a big number of dead fish close to one of the ramps where people have been warned and the excess thrown overboard. It is very sad to see even one dead snapper floating around, even worse in the lead up to spawning season.

I'd like to see all fishing gear confiscated for a first offense then the boat for a second. That would really make the poachers think twice. At the moment it is something like a $300 fine for a small amount over the limit for each poacher and loss of gear and a court case for larger offenses.

They have just appointed a number of new fisho's as well, so someone is getting serious.

theoldlegend
22-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Let's hope Terry, that the increased presence will hopefully deter some people from doing the wrong thing.

There should also be increased penalties for a second, third offence.

TOL

finga
22-12-2010, 06:53 AM
They can put speed camera's everywhere why can't they put mobile camera's in areas where they think people may be dumping their 'excess' fish?

God, I get wild when people just flaunt the laws of our land and rape it's resources.
Penalties should be harsher for the determined few who want to 'overlook' the laws.
It would be pretty obvious to the inspectors those who are flaunting the laws and those who just did not know.

Good luck in the morning Tezza :)