PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on buying a boat

boatman2
20-12-2010, 12:18 PM
I’ve finally decided to buy my first boat and I need some advice from those with experience.

I’m looking at a maybe a 16ft GRP half cab, but would prefer up to an 18 footer that could fit 5 or 6 people. 2000 model or later. Budget is $20k to $25K

REEF RAIDER 500 SF
SAVAGE CENTURION 4.8
FREEDOM 5.3M ESCAPE
Haines Hunter 520SF

Any advice on these boats would be appreciated.

The main question is will a commodore sedan tow these boats off a slippery boat ramp. Or do I need to get a 4x4.

Chris

Jarrah Jack
20-12-2010, 12:58 PM
The commodore should not be a problem at all..

I like the HH but I'm biased:), followed by the reef ranger. It really depends on the particular package your looking at. Being secondhand it will have to tick all the boxes in any case.

Camhawk88
20-12-2010, 01:06 PM
I think you would really struggle to find a boat of around 5m that would take 5-6 people comfortably- particularly a half cab. An 5.5m would but it would be cramped and there would be no way you could fish that many. I think the RR and HH would be my pick.
How slippery are you talking (hard to measure I know).? If it is a steep ramp and is hard to get traction on in a 2wd with a tinny then I can see some problems having only 2 wheels turning, regardless of engine size.

FishHunter
20-12-2010, 01:22 PM
I’ve finally decided to buy my first boat and I need some advice from those with experience.

I’m looking at a maybe a 16ft GRP half cab, but would prefer up to an 18 footer that could fit 5 or 6 people. 2000 model or later. Budget is $20k to $25K

REEF RAIDER 500 SF
SAVAGE CENTURION 4.8
FREEDOM 5.3M ESCAPE
Haines Hunter 520SF

Any advice on these boats would be appreciated.

The main question is will a commodore sedan tow these boats off a slippery boat ramp. Or do I need to get a 4x4.

Chris

I have a 5,5 reef ranger half cab and 4 people starts to get crowded, 6 people for a cruise maybe. I tow with a auto SS commodore and the steep slippery harbour ramp isnt an issue even with the tyres in water.

boatman2
20-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks for your replies.

Main use would be fishing. I guess it makes scene to have the least amount of people on the boat for fishing, to be comfortable. But would be good to take up to 5 people for a cruise occasionally.

“how slippery” well there is a big difference between all the boat ramps in S.E Qld. May have to stick to some of the less steep ones. Or buy an SS commodore with LSD.

mattyd
20-12-2010, 03:33 PM
We've had the Freedom Escape for 3yrs now - it was our first boat. Coupled with the ETEC 90hp we've had a lot of good times and learnt a lot in this vessel.

The good: Smooth ride, reverse chines, easy to get up on the plane (unless you have 3 adults on the rear seat!), rear seats double as esky / storage bins and can be unclipped / removed.

The bad: low cabin height (I'm 6ft 4 and can't sit up in there), pain to get to the anchor every time due to low cabin height, lower bow height than others in it's class.

The weight incl trailer is about 1150kg so not the lightest. I tow it with a turbo Forester , but I would expect the major ramps would be ok with your car.

We're about 70% fishing / 30% pleasure cruising. It's got a low sporty look on the water and does still draw attention from onlookers :)

FishHunter
20-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks for your replies.

Main use would be fishing. I guess it makes scene to have the least amount of people on the boat for fishing, to be comfortable. But would be good to take up to 5 people for a cruise occasionally.

“how slippery” well there is a big difference between all the boat ramps in S.E Qld. May have to stick to some of the less steep ones. Or buy an SS commodore with LSD.

Mackay has 6m tides so the ramps are steep, slippery enough that I was holding onto the pontoon so I didnt land on my arse, and the LSD is tired due to too many drag strip sessions.