PDA

View Full Version : TILT Button Delay

Debro
19-12-2010, 09:36 AM
When pressing the Tilt button UP on the Gear Shift Lever there is a delay or no reaction until I press it again and maybe again.
There is no delay when pressing the Tilt Down.
Has anyone had this problem and know where to look for the fault.
Is the switch in the Gear Shift Lever?
If so how would I get to it?
Or is it somewhere in the motor?

The fault causes my husband (Barra) a heart flutter when approaching the boat ramp. :o

Appreciate it, if someone could please help him.

Debro

Aunty Jack
19-12-2010, 10:52 AM
I would start by cheeking your oil level and bleeding at the pump
Thats what and were my problem was.
Remember there is a locking knob at the pump that need to be turned to bleed the unit.
Only open and fill on the full down ward position other wize you will wear it.
Safty glasses

Fed
19-12-2010, 03:06 PM
I'd ask Barra what the big name and number is on the side of the motor, he may even know what year model it is too.

Adivad
19-12-2010, 04:19 PM
I had this problem on my Yamaha. I fixed it by taking apart the gear lever and cleaning the contacts inside the switch. It's not a difficult thing to do, (I'm not very clever) and worth having a try yourself. Basically just remember to put things back the way they were after cleaning.

Triple
19-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Check the switch first (easiest) Sounds like dirty contacts.

Debro
19-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I would start by cheeking your oil level and bleeding at the pump
Thats what and were my problem was.
Remember there is a locking knob at the pump that need to be turned to bleed the unit.
Only open and fill on the full down ward position other wize you will wear it.
Safty glasses

Thanks for the inofo swampman,
I think Adivad may have a clue. I will try his suggestion first as I feel it could be an electrical/switch problem rather than a hydraulic problem.

Really appreciate your input.
Thanks
Debro

Debro
19-12-2010, 05:37 PM
I'd ask Barra what the big name and number is on the side of the motor, he may even know what year model it is too.

It is a Yamaha 40 XWTL, 2 stroke.

Any more info required?.....thanks Debro

Debro
19-12-2010, 05:40 PM
I had this problem on my Yamaha. I fixed it by taking apart the gear lever and cleaning the contacts inside the switch. It's not a difficult thing to do, (I'm not very clever) and worth having a try yourself. Basically just remember to put things back the way they were after cleaning.

Thanks Adivad, I agree with you.
But where do I start, I just need a clue to begin with... please.

Once I start I'll be right but cannot see how to open it up.

I have a full service manual but it doesn't show the Tilt & Trim Lever.

Thanks Debro

Debro
19-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Check the switch first (easiest) Sounds like dirty contacts.

Thanks Triple, I agree with you and Adivad.

But how do I open it up.
Give me the first nut or screw to undo and
away I'll go....

Thanks
Debro

fish50
19-12-2010, 07:36 PM
I have a yamaha 130 and the same thing happens to mine every 18 months or so, last time i did it myself and it was just salt on the contacts in the gear lever which need cleaning and then all good again...dismantling is all well and good just put it back together quickly otherwise its easy to forget where everything goes, a digital camera could help. Anyways i am sure this is your problem and if it is its easy enough to fix yourself.

testlab
19-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Before pulling anything apart try some basic diagnostics.

First find out if electric or hydraulic problems. With the boat on the trailer and a nice fresh battery try running the tilt/trim up and down without the engine running.

You don't have to move it all the way up or down. Just simulate doing what you do when it plays up. It may take a lot of jiggling up and down to work out when/how to make it play up.

When it does play up, have one of you near the motor. Listen closely. Does the trim/tilt pump run (the loud whirring) but the engine stay down. If it does this is a hydraulic problem.

If nothing happens and the pumps don't run... can you hearing a clicking coming from the powerhead? If you hear no clicking then the switch on the control is crook (or the wiring to it).

If you hear clicking at the powerhead and the pump motors do not run, then the up solenoid is faulty or you have a bad conection on the high current sides of the up solenoid.

Have fun!! Hope this helps.

Debro
20-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Before pulling anything apart try some basic diagnostics.

First find out if electric or hydraulic problems. With the boat on the trailer and a nice fresh battery try running the tilt/trim up and down without the engine running.

You don't have to move it all the way up or down. Just simulate doing what you do when it plays up. It may take a lot of jiggling up and down to work out when/how to make it play up.

When it does play up, have one of you near the motor. Listen closely. Does the trim/tilt pump run (the loud whirring) but the engine stay down. If it does this is a hydraulic problem.

If nothing happens and the pumps don't run... can you hearing a clicking coming from the powerhead? If you hear no clicking then the switch on the control is crook (or the wiring to it).

If you hear clicking at the powerhead and the pump motors do not run, then the up solenoid is faulty or you have a bad conection on the high current sides of the up solenoid.

Have fun!! Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for all this information. Sure live up to your name - testlab...

I have printed out your info and will carry out all these test.

Really appreciate the effort you have gone to writing all this for me.

Debro

Adivad
20-12-2010, 04:47 PM
To get it apart: Undo the bolts holding the control to the boat and take it off. The gear lever is attached to the main control by a single bolt you can now get at.
You need to remove the cover on the lever that's over this bolt. Undo that and separate the lever from the control box. There are a couple of screws holding a plate on the lever. Take them out and you can remove the spring loaded part of the lever and get at the switch.
This is how I did mine, hopefully yours is similar

Dave