PDA

View Full Version : cleaning the tinny

004dam
18-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Is there any decent products out there to clean unpainted tinnys? It has alot of potential to clean up, I have used autosol in spots to see how it would come up and definetly needs a good wash. Is there some form of acid wash etc ?

Gon Fishun
18-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Ally Brite
CT-18
CT-15
Nyalic pre wash.

FNQCairns
18-12-2010, 07:47 PM
pig fat and mechanical power or elbow grease will bring it up to a mirror shine...believe it or not. Personally i dont like acids I learnt that lesson on a motorbike years ago but they are ok if very quickly you protect over the top with another product...i use Nufinish here because these things feel more like a chore than anything else.

inside i use a rag soaked in lanoline and wiped over.

deckie
19-12-2010, 08:20 AM
I use turkey bile myself...leaves pig fat for dead as a finish and easier to get at this time of yr ;D Does require a bit of rubbing tho.

Pig fat ? :o Got me intrigued. So how do u get it ?...u rock up to the local slaughterhouse and just ladel out great big globules of the stuff ? ..and how do u store it and remain married ?
I've just bought a xmas leg ham and threw out the fat between the skin and meat...was this silly when i could've helped rub it into next doors tinnie as a xmas present ?
Do u have an ant or cockroach issue ?

finga
19-12-2010, 08:40 AM
He kids you not.
Pig fat is the go.
Here is a boat that was owned by member that goes by the name of darkside.
Don't really know how darkside came about because this thing would be like a HUGE spinner.
If I remember that picture was taken about 3 years after polishing.

deckie
19-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Jeeeeezus. Its been chromed yeah ? :o

Hellova tip. Having never owned a tinnie i've missed out on all this stuff.
Is it well known or a QLD thing ?...and i;m still intrigued where u get it and how u whack it on.
And would the fat off the xmas ham work ;D?

Neil81
19-12-2010, 09:32 AM
if i strip the old paint off my tinny would it polish up like that? and whats the best way to get old paint off to get the natural look back.

outsider580
19-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Hi,
I am an electrical cable jointer by trade and we use Tallow (pig fat) to clean lead cable sheaths of oxides and also aluminium conductors before making sweated connections on conductors in High voltage applications. Works a treat cleans up nice and shinny, we use mole skin pads and gas torches. In the old days when I was an Apprentice the older tradesmen would cook up chips in the pig fat straight out of tin.

gr hilly
19-12-2010, 11:19 AM
if you like to get your under body parts sunburned polish your tinny.
Cheers, Hilly

FNQCairns
19-12-2010, 01:17 PM
lard is pigs fat, tallow is beef and or lamb or possibly anything, dripping is goose/duck? so a trip to the supermarket for small sized amounts or the butcher for whatever size suits , just in time for the christmas roast too :).

I cannot see why ham fat wouldn't work if anyone tries it let us know please.