PDA

View Full Version : Where to position tank breather - engine well or outside

CT
18-12-2010, 06:45 AM
After the good feedback I got in my jerry can thread http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=164996

I've just got my new tank fitted. 150 usable litres!! What is the best location for the breather?

Some of my thoughts were.
On the outside of the engine well, high up on one of the sides.
On the outside of the hull, high up towards the stern.

I assume that venting to outside the hull is best for vapours, but I'd assume that up in the engine well is best to minimise the risk of spray/water ingress. Vapour won't pool in the engine well so I don't think there is any problem putting it there.

Any other ideas or considerations?

Cheers
Craig

finga
18-12-2010, 07:20 AM
The spot where your least likely to get water spray.

I ran mine up under the cowl of the motor near the front of the carbi's so they can suck any fumes in and if water gets in I wouldn't be too concerned as I know I've got bigger problems to worry about.
Always put a vertical loop or two in the breather pipe too.
If any water does get in then it should sit in the bottom of the loop and not in your new tank.

jason p
18-12-2010, 08:55 AM
mine sits near the filler on gunwale and as finga pointed out have a loop or two to stop the watergoing back to the tank if any should get in.

jp

trueblue
18-12-2010, 09:13 AM
mine runs back to the engine well, as mentioned above, with some vertical loops as water traps

cheers

Mick

Duckfish
18-12-2010, 01:56 PM
The spot where your least likely to get water spray.

I ran mine up under the cowl of the motor near the front of the carbi's so they can suck any fumes in and if water gets in I wouldn't be too concerned as I know I've got bigger problems to worry about.
Always put a vertical loop or two in the breather pipe too.
If any water does get in then it should sit in the bottom of the loop and not in your new tank.

Hi Finga.
Why may I ask would you put a loop inthe breather line? Just asking cause I've just fitted another breather in my system.
Duckfish

finga
18-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi Finga.
Why may I ask would you put a loop inthe breather line? Just asking cause I've just fitted another breather in my system.
Duckfish
If there's any water gets down the breather it'll end up in your fuel tank if the breather tube is straight right.
If you put a couple of vertical loops in the breather tube then if any water gets in it'll sit at the bottom of the loop.
Chances would be pretty slim if the water got around 2 loops.
Also position the loops so you can see them easily to see if there's any water in the loops.

Fed
18-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Remember the breather will spit fuel from time to time on fill ups or hot days with a full tank so put it where it won't mark the boat or wreck decals etc.
High in the splashwell side works for me and where the hose leaves the vent you need to run it uphill before you then go down to the tank.
Uphill then down is good, uphill loop same same, downhill loop should be avoided. Sorry Finga you know the deal, tough crowd in here. LOL!

finga
18-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Sorry Finga you know the deal, tough crowd in here. LOL!
About as tough as the jelly in my mum's trifle. ;)