PDA

View Full Version : Trying to help the old boy retrieve new boat solo

iqarus
16-12-2010, 10:28 PM
the old man just got himself a new quintrex 490 top ender tournament CC, and is living up his retirement fishing the days away.

catch is, he's a touch older than his mates and they're all still working. and as much as id love to be spending my days pillaging the channel and entertaining the caravan park, i too must work.

he's having troubles retrieving the boat himself when conditions arent perfect, the boat sits on a quintrex i-beam aluminium trailer, with centre rollers and a few sets of left to right skids.

my first idea was an easy latch type catch system so he can drive the boat on, but is this trailer designed to drive on ? nearly all the blokes i see drive on have all roller trailers.

for his birthday last year i bought him a 3000lb electric trailer winch, with wireless remote for his old 4.2m dory. i was thinking of mounting this to the new trailer, swapping the buggered cable with the strap off the manual winch and getting the remote working, so he can hold the boat in the swell/wind/current and winch her on. unsure if it'll have the balls to pull up the new boat, used to get a bit tired sounding the last foot or so with the old boat. but its trailer was a bit knackered.

if you didnt read that wall of text, whats the best way for an old bugger to get his boat on the trailer himself ?

Cheech
17-12-2010, 07:26 AM
The biggest mistake people make is to not get the cable set to the correct length. I can easily retrieve my 21ft glass boat on my own (though I drive it on mostly). Have the length set so that you can only just get the nose around the end of the rollers. With the boat pulled up against the shore next to the trailer, clip on the cable, then turn the boat towards the trailer so that is is side on to the shore and walk it towards the trailer. As you are doing this and getting closer to the rollers, you will find that you can now have the cable at full stretch. Now that you have tension on the cable you now have control of the boat. This is the key. so now with the boat still side on to the shore and almost at the rollers, work the bow to the centre of the rollers and only then start to push the boat stern out and straighten it up (still with tension on the cable). As it gets straight, then you pull it in to the roller cradle, where it will sit as you work your way back to the winch. You will just need to keep a little tension on the cable to keep the boat in the cradle as you head to the winch.

Chimo
17-12-2010, 07:52 AM
As a fellow GOM who often gets a Vagabond on the trailer by myself I suggest your Dad consider the following.

I always park the boat up wind or up current.
To load the boat, after parking the trailer with only the rear rollers submerged I push the boat straight back into the water and let the wind / current push it so it would travel past the end of the trailer.
As the boat moves to go past the trailer and your standing by the winch post pull it towards the trailer so the bow is hard onto the rear rollers.
Pass the rope around the winch post (or hook I have installed for the purpose) and keep the rope tight as you move to the bow to connect the winch hook to the boat bow eye.
After the hook is in place retrace your steps back to the winch, keeping the rope tight still.
Now engage the winch ( I have no remote setup) and as the winch removes the slack throw the rope to the side or onto the boat so it doesnt get caught as the boat comes onto the trailer.
I use a double cable with a the hook on a pulley to half the load on the winch but this does double the time to haul out.(OK by me)
Works very time for me and my brakes never get wet so they just keep working fine with no corrosion so no costly rebuilds on my elec over hydraulic tandem Tinka set up ( over 2 tonnes)

Cheers
Chimo

Fed
17-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Looks like we all do it differently.
First think I have to say is that I prefer to start off downwind/tide so the back of the boat won't go around by itself, instead I drag it around the 'corner' with the winch.
I have a string tied to the back of the trailer that I pull to operate the winch.
I pull the cable out & hook it to the back of the trailer.
I put the trailer in so that the rear roller is at water level.
I walk the boat around at right angles to the trailer and hook the winch cable on as the boat is nosing past the corner of the trailer.
I then pull the string when the bow of the boat is at the rear roller and let the winch pull the boat from right angles to straight and then up she goes.
As it's going up I walk up to the front still pulling the string.

If you're not using a string or a remote then I don't see the point of even having an electric winch. To my way of thinking an electric winch just replaces the winchman.

I think we've talked about this before Chimo but I can't understand why you need a double line and why you suffered clutch problems, I used to pull a Caribbean Commodore up with a single line 712 powerwinch and I'm sure it would have been at least as heavy as your boat, will your boat just roll off the trailer without pushing it?

finga
17-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Take mum fishing too and then there's 2 to load.

Cheech
17-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Actually, I agree with Fed re clipping the cable to the end of the trailer and clipping on once the boat is at the trailer. If the connection point is low, as it would be with the tinnie, then the rollers/skids would get in the way, so better to connect at the trailer.

I also have the boat down wind. If you missed, then the boat will come back to you for another try.

Chimo
17-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Hi Fed et al

I had clutch issues as I operated the unit incorrectly. My fault. ie when all else fails read the instructions like I did.

Yes, on a ramp, the boat rolls off the trailer without pushing it which is how it easily pulls the double cable out to the end of the trailer so its there ready to haul the boat back on and i still have to check the speed the boat rolls off.

I agree that as you say we all do things differently. Thats why I only suggested iqarus's dad consider what I do. Neither he nor anyone else has to do it the same way! Thats the beauty of a chat site, you take from it what you choose.

Also I use a double cable and pulley/ hook cause I can and it does increase the winch load capacity, whether it needs it or not. I'm retired so I have time to load a boat even if it takes a little longer, I also like an unexciting, drama free time at the boat ramp when I go to it and I like the fact that my brakes dont get salt water over them so given the limited use I now make of my trailer, its maintenance is easier and cheaper.

Cheers
Chimo

oldboot
17-12-2010, 05:44 PM
I think above all, ya have to make sure he has a system that works for him and his rig.

Ya go down the ramp and it is obvious that so many people simply have no system, and they are working far too hard to get their boat on.

Also make sure his trailer is set up and adjusted well..and all the rollers are well lubed and free running.

Again ya go down the ramp and ya see a large proportion working tooo hard because the trailer is not helping.

As for the existing electric winch you have on hand......if it seems gutless toward the end.....you would be surprised how much better it will go with some heavier electric cable......that voltage drop will get you every time (eh finga)

On the matter of the hauling rope......give up on the steel and the webbing strap.......go with a synthetic rope.......I have had all 3....and the funky synthetic ropes..is so much better.
Ya dont get the building mechanical dis-adventage you get with webbing.or the twisting/pileing probems.

If ya watch some of these old blokes that realy have their system working well, they are realy something..... but they all have their well thaught out and practiced system.....and most of them have their own special trick.
Some of these blokes don't look to steady on their pins but they can get their boat on and off, pretty damn well........
Thay have taken the time to think about it and try a few things, till they find what works.

Jarrah Jack
17-12-2010, 07:27 PM
As has been said everyone is different. I would set the trailer with teflon guides so that you can drive the boat up without a concern for the bottom. Its by far the quickest and easiest way for me. Up around Darwin everyone does the drive on if they want to live.

White Pointer
17-12-2010, 09:04 PM
G'day,

Can you give us some pictures?

Also, where is the launch and retrieve being made?

Regards,

White Pointer

iqarus
17-12-2010, 11:10 PM
thanks for all the suggestions gents,

for some reason we used to use the rope to the back of the boat to keep it straight in wind/tide on the old boat. but havent used it on the new one. weird.

white pointer, dont have any pictures as yet, as i dunked my phone in a pool accident recently.

but 90% of his launches/retrives are either at donnybrook, or jacobs well.

culbara
18-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Mate i just had a couplt extra skids made up for my boat they stick out about 600mm behind the trailer and i just drive the point in and keep dricing so it lines the boat up and on the rollers

deckie
19-12-2010, 06:25 AM
1. Keelguards are brilliant for solo boating tho i cant see much pt on a tinnie unless u want to preserve a paintjob...u can get them to your door for maybe $130 from places like Cabela's these days and dead easy to fit. Gives u confidence to rest the bow even on the ramp whilst he goes and gets the trailer. Run the nose onto sandbars, beach it etc etc.
2. Your remote/wireless winch is possibly the number 1 best thing for solo retrieves. If i was u i'd set it up on his new rig and check the wiring/cabling sizes from the car to the winch to account for the lack of grunt u experienced. Run bigger cabling to it coz winches draw a decent amount of current. A 3000lb winch sounds about right and common for them to struggle near the top with all the weight. I went out with a guy who had a 4.5m tinnie and a newish powerwinch and it was struggling..found it hard to believe till i saw how small the wiring was in his boot. As u say it might have simply been the rollers/skids setup u had tho.
3. A little extra time maintaining rollers/skids in top nick and getting it balanced well on ther trailer. If he's older u may want to swap him over to rollers from skids to make it a little easier tho if u get the winch working right it shouldnt matter unless he struggles to get it off the trailer as well.
4. Access on and off....one of the hardest things as we get older is to actually get on and off the boat...be it at home or out on the water. Check out those cheap fold flat kitchen step ladders and put some good feet on them. I carry one of those small folding ally step ladders in the boot if the old man (early 80's) wants to come out. Helping him make up stuff that makes his life easier in this way is a big help. If he's by himself ask him how he gets on and off at the ramp and try to reduce the risks he takes. Boats are slippery and we all get tired on the water. Its a big unspoken obstacle that can take the shine off boating for our oldies...they worry about it and for good reason. Make sure he is never tempted to get off onto any steps on piers/landings/ramps that are intertidal and slippery. Best he has a way of getting out directly onto the stuff above high tide level.
5. A cheap set of leg waders with built in gumboots in the boot...goes nicely with the remote winch so he can just wade out and stand on the downwind side and guide it on as the winch pulls...makes life a little more comfy for the 6mths of the yr where the water feels like ice. Plus it stops any temptation for him to find a way to stay out of the water when its a bit chilly...such as standing on the trailer. Just advise him against wearing them whilst out coz i reckon they're a deathtrap if he somehow finds himself in the drink.
6. Slipping on a slimey ramp a huge concern (as well as getting on and off). Extra good non slip on his waders or sandshoes. You can even get a roll of non slip tape from a $2 shop and just replace it constantly on the soles.
7. Correct winch cable length and pulled out and attached at the end of the trailer ready to clip onto the bow eye.
8. Trailer guide poles can not only act like having a mate down back at the ramp but sure make backing the trailer easier with a reference point. If he likes the idea of going out in the evening or coming back in the evening its easy to pop a small light on the top of each.

Jarrah Jack
19-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Damn good post that one deckie. the difficult thing with drive on and off is getting on and off the boat from the trailer, and it certainly gets harder as the years go by.

Aunty Jack
19-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Ive seen this and have asked how its done.
Have you ever seen what a lot of ski boats use on there trailers?
Those polls about 1 1/2 m high on eather side of there trailer near the ass end
There guids and quite easy to make!

First of all you need at least the following for ONE side only
3 wabble roller per side,
4 large washers per side.
1 split pin
The desierd hight/lenght PBC pipping to fit over the wabble rollers.
1 soild steel pipping to the lengh required.
C or H clamp to fit to your trailer frame or weld it.

take 1 washer slidding it to the pole about 300mm under gunny rail and weld!

Then drop 1 roller on to the pipe it will stop at the washer.

Then about the half way make do it all again.

Then do the same with the top adding the split pin if desired.

Cut PVC pipping and slide over all 3 rollers if it slpopy add good old duck tape.

Note the pipe should be bent and welded to clamp before washers and roller are fitted.
Also it does NOT want to be snug to the boat, 100mm gap would be good.

This and your electric wintch should be good for your dad!!

iqarus
19-12-2010, 04:10 PM
looks like the wireless remote with the winch is the go.

as for getting in/out of the boat while on the trailer, its got a transom door and ladder so its not an issue.

Micadogs
20-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Hi, I have a potoon next to my boat ramp so i simply just walk the boat up the trailer approx 1/2 way, then attach the winch and wind in. The wind, tide etc doesn't affect the boat when this far up and only have to wind in a little way.

Understand that you dont always have a pontoon, but if you put a walkway on your trailer, relatively cheap and easy to install, then you can do the same thing. Just pull the boat to the end of the trailer with a rope. Grab the bow, walk it up the trailer 1/2 way, attache the hook, wind in a little and you are done.

Combine with an electric winch and this is a very easy and not labour intensive way to retrieve a boat.

Regards Adam

Haji-Baba
20-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Iqarus,

I have a similar set up and a self made winch.

At the back of my trailer I have a length of solid timber cut to the shape of the rear cross member.

That is fixed to the rear cross member and lined/covered with
blue drum plastic and screwed to the sides of the timber.

Simply to prevent the boat from hitting the rear of the trailer and provide a wider initial contact point for the boat.

When loading by myself I already have the winch rope, "Spectra", led down to the back of the trailer and the winch connected directly to my second battery through 50 amp anderson plugs. Plenty of grunt.

Depending on conditions I would lead the boat towards the trailer up wind or down. The rear timber and plastic guide would lead the boat onto the centre of the rear keel rollers and with the walkabout remote lead I can activate the winch from the rear of the trailer. Or anywhere else for that matter.

The grand kids get a kick out of it anyway, pushing the button.

Once the boat has centered on the rear roller and taken the weight I then release the tilt. The boat comes straight up the trailer guided by the side wobble rollers.

41 seconds from the time the hook goes in till the boat hits the winch post.

A 120 amp battery and heavy permanent leads direct to the winch make the difference.

As everyone else has said study the situation and adapt the suggestions as you see fit.

Driving on to the trailer is not an option for me, I would never be able to get out of the boat on the ramp. As deckie said us older blokes can't afford a fall.

Have fun and enjoy Haji-Baba