PDA

View Full Version : Are boat raps more durable than Decals?

GLXMAN
15-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Hi Guys,
Have a "large" manufacturer decal down either side of the boat, soon found out that the new boat cover straps wear through the surface when travelling, (only took 60km to do permanent damage actually)

Learning curve I guess, I now have rags holding off the straps from the hull,

Are the boat raps more durable? Or, should I look at a set-up where the boat cover straps don't touch the hull at all?

Regards,
Gary

finga
15-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Have the boat cover straps not touching the hull as straps will wear through paint or any other thing that's on a hull eventually.

GLXMAN
15-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Have the boat cover straps not touching the hull as straps will wear through paint or any other thing that's on a hull eventually.

Tks,
Your right, noticed some paint wear as well, at least I can polish that out,
Regards,
Gary

Nathan Tuskes
15-12-2010, 03:54 PM
boat wraps on a bass boat are about $2500 Ive been told. so id work on a solution for fixing your straps up, and no boat wraps are just the same as decals regards durability they tear and and get scratched up when u drive into thick mangroves and pontoons

GLXMAN
15-12-2010, 04:33 PM
boat wraps on a bass boat are about $2500 Ive been told. so id work on a solution for fixing your straps up, and no boat wraps are just the same as decals regards durability they tear and and get scratched up when u drive into thick mangroves and pontoons

Tks Nathan,
Might leave this "bling thing" to the Skeeter guys:)

Even the manufacturers decal, (Allison), started to look pretty ordinary, have now removed them before the fading starts,

I guess a fishing boat should look like a fishing boat :)

I should have also asked,
Does everybody use side straps?
My cover has a strap threaded through and tightened with a SS clamp, "appears" that side straps could be removed?
Regards,
Gary

finga
15-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Is it possible to use 2 stern straps instead?

Nathan Tuskes
15-12-2010, 05:05 PM
yer finga is onto something try thesehttp://www.baysportsaustralia.com.au/boatbuckletransom.htm

GLXMAN
15-12-2010, 09:38 PM
yer finga is onto something try thesehttp://www.baysportsaustralia.com.au/boatbuckletransom.htm

Hi Nathan,
The problem is that the straps are sewn into the tarp, the rear tie downs, I don't have a problem with as they just go from boat to trailer

I've just got out of hospital and the boat is 160km away at the brother in law's farm,

To cut a long story short,
Had a life threatening event which gave me a 160km ride to hospital in an ambulance other wise I would have an image for you already

Wife is bringing the boat back on Saturday,

I'm OK, just some corrective surgery and an unfortunate 6-8 week recovery before the boat goes out again, (just filled the tank, didn't I:'( )

Hope to sort out a few minor bugs like the tarp while I'm out of action

Good excuse to buy myself some more Xmas presents:)

Regards,
Gary