PDA

View Full Version : People Diving in Tweed River Bar

oldie
14-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Just wanted to ask other ausfish members who frequent Tweed Bar if they notice how many people are diving the walls etc with no flag or anything really that lets you know they are down there?

Yesterday coming in about 2.30pm (nsw time) I stopped just off the north side wall/beach and logged off, would of been 50m at least out from the wall, idling when i saw a heap of bubbles just in front of my boat, i killed the engine and tilted up a bit as i was sh** scared of hitting someone, by this stage i would of been 2/3 into the middle, i watched as i drifted straight over them and out the back of boat could see 2 dark figures as it was higher tide and water was clear. I think this is ludicrous as the big whale watch cat went out as i came in, and i keep seeing this happening its only a matter of time i reckon before someone gets smacked by a proP or worse.

Be good to hear if anyone else is seeing this behavior, I'M SURE THEY ARE SPEARING ILLEGALLY

finga
14-12-2010, 08:34 PM
I would have thought they're not supposed to be diving there.

Almako
14-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Hey I used to dive there all the time, but i'm not sure what they were doing 50m from the wall, there's F all but sand out there.

Usually follow the wall up to twin town on last of incoming tide, surface for 20minutes or so, then catch the run out tide back. But normally max 20m in from wall.

Guys that far in a mad

Its definately legal to dive there, so no issue with this.

oldie
14-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Hey I used to dive there all the time, but i'm not sure what they were doing 50m from the wall, there's F all but sand out there.

Usually follow the wall up to twin town on last of incoming tide, surface for 20minutes or so, then catch the run out tide back. But normally max 20m in from wall.

Guys that far in a mad

Its definately legal to dive there, so no issue with this. Its also really hard to drift dive with a dive flag, did try it and just got all tangled up.

Its definately risky business especially if you need to do an emergency ascent.

Good to know that boaties li

No LIE mate i know they dive right on the wall, but this was all sand and they were out that far just too close for comfort for me as like i said no indication till they were under my boat with bubbles coming up. maybe they were crossing from one side to the next as it was straight across from the sand spit/pump.

finga
15-12-2010, 07:53 AM
There will be an accident and then they'll have a pedestrian (with traffic lights) going across Tweed bar.

It's hard enough been aware of what's going on around you (waves, sandbars, swimmers, surfy dudes, other boats and the like) when crossing a bar without wondering who's under you as well.

bassfan
16-12-2010, 11:10 AM
It's only a legal requirement to display a dive flag in NSW if you are diving from a boat, but these cretins should still display a flag even if diving from the shore, particularly in such a busy channel. No one wants to be responsible for injuring somebody or worse, but if you hit a diver that is not displaying a dive flag you won't be held responsible as far as the law is concerned. They are idiots and take that risk.
I reckon a bigger safety issue on that bar are the dumbarse surfers that paddle across to get to the southern side & back. I came very close to hitting one once as you just can't see them (nor are you expecting to) and if you have just crossed the bar with salt spray on your windscreen it can be tricky. IMO they are fools taking stupid risks without any thought to the poor bloke that might hit them.

bassfan

samson
16-12-2010, 02:55 PM
probably diving the wreck not too many know about it.

dec0guy
16-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Where abouts is the wreck in the Tweed?

finga
16-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Where abouts is the wreck in the Tweed?
In the Richmond maybe??

Sorry...couldn't resist. :-[

;D

samson
16-12-2010, 08:58 PM
theres two one up in a bay on the fingal stretch which is marked with a red and black danger mark thats been there for ever but is half covered with sand these days and the other is in one spot out past the hospital i could be more precise but that would be too easy if you have a look at clear high water you will see it, it sits in about 7 meters of water and holds some resonable schools of fish at times i caught a 7kg spangled off it about 15 years ago.

BigAllan
19-12-2010, 08:44 PM
I agree, there is a wreck just down stream from the hospital. It does scare the c**p out of you when you see bubbles under you. Those surfers take a big risk also. I surf to but iwouldn't paddle across a waterway like that. It's like walking across a train bridge - What happens when you get half way and a train comes?

wayno60
19-12-2010, 10:14 PM
I fish off the seaway heaps and the guys up there always have a white bouy with the white and blue flag hanging off it. but thats only where they entre the water... As far as surfers paddling across the rivers, its only a matter of time before someone is hit.