PDA

View Full Version : Logging On with VMR

PinHead
13-12-2010, 08:04 PM
I was having a chat with a bloke who has purchased a boat recently. he was talking about going out into the Bay and over to Moreton etc etc.

He asked about logging on with the VMR...I have never logged on and his question had never entered my mind and I could not give him an answer.

If you are leaving from somewhere like Whyte Island ramp for example and no VMR base there then which one do you call to log on ?

ozscott
13-12-2010, 08:39 PM
PH mate - I regularly do. There is a list of them in the beacon to beacon with hours, and call channel etc. What I normally do if I dont know the working channel is to make sure its not near the hour or half hour, and that even with the squelch off I cannot hear any traffic on the emergency channel, and then call on that...they will usually happily take the call and bounce you to a working frequency to finish the log on call. Usually if you call say VMR Raby Bay and its not on you will get Brisbane Coast Guard and if they are not answering VKQ476?? (ie the Fishing/Boating club on south straddie) or you may receive Seaway tower etc, but there is always someone to log onto. If you are at the pin, its VMR Jacobs Well.

Cheers

PADDLES
13-12-2010, 08:40 PM
i don't normally log on either pinhead, we've got no rescue group at beachmere and we're sort of in between redcliffe and bribie so i've got membership at redcliffe coast guard and call them whenever i'm chasing weather updates etc. manly coast guard is only just around the corner from whyte island isn't it? maybe they'd be the best if your mate leaves from there.

Marlin_Mike
13-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Here's a list of bases from MSQ site. Whyte Island you could log on at VMR Sandgate or Coast Guard Manly. If in doubt at least log on with someone. VKQ447 Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club Manly Harbour is only monitoring week days.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Marine-radios/Marine-radio-contacts.aspx

Cheers

Mike

Almako
13-12-2010, 09:48 PM
I suggest doing the VHF coarse, it really helps with your confidence and understanding of how to use the radio, and makes it you legal.

ozscott
13-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Here's a list of bases from MSQ site. Whyte Island you could log on at VMR Sandgate or Coast Guard Manly. If in doubt at least log on with someone. VKQ447 Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club Manly Harbour is only monitoring week days.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Marine-radios/Marine-radio-contacts.aspx

Cheers

Mike

Thats them Mike. I had the call sign wrong and was thinking straddie but you mentioning it rang a bell.

Cheers

PinHead
14-12-2010, 05:08 AM
I suggest doing the VHF coarse, it really helps with your confidence and understanding of how to use the radio, and makes it you legal.

I have done the course..LOL
But, as I said, I never log on so never had to worry about what that bloke asked me.

themerlin
14-12-2010, 08:18 AM
I have a question that relates to this, if you are doing an overnigher do you logoff when you get to your destination and logon again in the morning/on your way back. Or do you just tell them you are staying overnight and give them your est arrival time the next day.

ozscott
14-12-2010, 09:06 AM
I have a question that relates to this, if you are doing an overnigher do you logoff when you get to your destination and logon again in the morning/on your way back. Or do you just tell them you are staying overnight and give them your est arrival time the next day.

Mate I usually give them my overnight and return location and time when logging on and when I will get to the overnight spot as my first destination. Then I call in when I get there or sooner if I am running later than my plan. Cheers