PDA

View Full Version : Lifejackets | Should you be fined for taking more than 60 seconds to put it on?

QF3 MROCP
12-12-2010, 09:16 PM
You know I’m all about EDUCATION, but after today, I have to ask what more do we have to do to get skippers have some BASIC skills of responsibility.

Three crew including the skipper were asked to don their lifejackets on before their boat was put under tow for about an hour.

While rescue crew stood on the rain soaked rear deck, for at least 5 minutes, they watched with great concern of the aerobics and contortion act each person including the skipper performed to eventually don their jackets on.

There is no way they would succeed if the vessel was sinking or a good wave flipped the boat and they ended up over board.

So I pose the question that maybe it’s time when the Water Police check you have jackets on board, they also check your ability to put them on in 60 seconds or less. If you fail, then a $100 fine per person!!

So please, do some practise before you go out next time with all your passengers..

The-easyrider
12-12-2010, 09:36 PM
I am all for people being safe and we regulary practice putting jackets on in the water the kids love it and do it for fun. I would wonder if you would get the life jacket on in 60 sec on some planes and ferries I have been on.

wayno60
12-12-2010, 09:37 PM
ive offten thought about that....some of the places ppl keep the life jackets and in the case of a fire or a quick sink they have no why in hell of getting them on, let alone get to them full stop. I cant remember who on here said that even with epirbs he makes sure everyone on that boats , even the kids know how to work it just in case....has to be the same way with life jackets....easy to get to and know how to get them on in a hurrry.

the fine. $100.00 , yes i think that fair, will ever see the light of day....no.

TheRealAndy
12-12-2010, 10:21 PM
At Sandgate Yacht Club, we fly code flag 'Y' all the time. That means you have to wear a life vest at all times on the water. Its in the club by-laws, and even when I man the rescue boat I have to wear a life vest.

Now VMR Brisbane was SYC until it was renamed in 1982. The same bylaws exist. All VMR Brisbane crew cannot go to sea unless they are wearing a life vest.

cormorant
12-12-2010, 10:59 PM
No . It is not about the money. I know where you are coming from ( they need a good slap about the head ) but VMR and CoastGuard folk should never talk about fines and money as you guys are not about authority. We have enough other pratts wanting more rules and restrictions and fines for the slightest infraction of some new law that un- common sense should overide anyhow.

Education. Tell the blokes wife that her and the kids would have drowned - I tell you that the bloke would never have heard the end of it. I still think mae west style jackets are a thing of the past from the and don't deserve a place on a modern boat. You ever worn one in a reasonable sea?- holy crap thay are not good. For $250 they could all have decent jackets

I use zip ups , inflatables a swell, and so new people on the boat in the leaving briefing and place them on deck so they are handy or being worn.
I try and get someone else to call in on the radio on the script on the dash - at least someone will know how to use it if I cark it. Epirb is a auto imersed one and set to float off and everyone gets told that it will save your life so grab it and connect the lanyard as I have my personal one . Fire extinguisher is the last one and it is stored above the bucket.

I still find it hard to believe that people get towed at planning speed and are left in their boat . I know they will irritate the crap out of you on your boat and it may not have the capacity but when I have towed I only allow one person in the boat and only if the boat can't be secured to run true..

Good on you for bringing it up. If it makes someone think about preparation the post has worked but not fines as we can't trust govermments to give employees common sense discretion so instead they use it for revenue.

That screws up boating as it has driving. All people do on the roads is comply they don't use their brain - on the water that will kill more people than it will save and create a lot of arrogant ignorant captains

Cheers

PS I hope you have a quiet holiday period on the water

Spaniard_King
13-12-2010, 06:16 AM
I guess if the powers to be made laws to ensure that everyone onboard had to don a PFD at least once each trip you wouldnt come across this situation (IMO) I say this as I live close to NSW and we quite often cross the Tweed Bar where its manditory to put on a PFD hence we have become good at it.

Rules to enforce this effect would enhance this prospect don't you think Peter

QF3 MROCP
13-12-2010, 06:32 AM
All great coments.. Apologies if you don't hear from me until later this week.. I'm off line - heading North.

Andy... same goes with QF3.. no Jacket ON - NO boat ride - even in the harbour

finga
13-12-2010, 06:46 AM
I guess if the powers to be made laws to ensure that everyone onboard had to don a PFD at least once each trip you wouldnt come across this situation (IMO) I say this as I live close to NSW and we quite often cross the Tweed Bar where its manditory to put on a PFD hence we have become good at it.

Rules to enforce this effect would enhance this prospect don't you think Peter
Yep, I could not agree more.
Having to don the lifejackets crossing bars make you think about where you put your lifejackets and how you bung them on.
Those elcheapo $15 PFD1's you get from a lot of boating places are a pain in the proverbial to put on...and that's after you've read the instructions.
And I have to admit we only ever had the elcheapo PFD1"s until that law came into effect in NSW.
After the first trip it was off to the lifejacket shop to get a better jacket that zips up and a couple of straps to click together....easy as to bung on in a hurry.

Having a fine will only lead to mandatory wearing and that's something a lot of us do not want.

It's like learning CPR.
If you practise it all the time and do the refreshers it's as easy as but if you learnt CPR in 1931 the chances are your going to stuff it up.
Practise, practise, practise.......

Flex
13-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Im very big on safety, As nothing else matters when your about to die. I have found there is a real stigma in wearing life jackets though.

Coming back in very scary conditions I mentioned we should all put life jackets on' Most blokes think its "wimpy" to do so. Or will only bother putting em one once they are in the water. Its much easier when your in the boat.

Granted some situations you dont have time, but I'd imagine theres alot of others if blokes swallowed there ego they'd be alot better off...

Noelm
13-12-2010, 07:51 AM
I think rules and regs are fine, and some people need to be forced to protect themselves sometimes, but there comes a time when enough is enough, by the time everyone invents a new law to protect boaters, we will never be able to leave shore, life jackets, EPIRBS, green zones, licences, and a thousand other "laws" that continue to be forced on us, eventually it will be more trouble to go out than it is worth! now dont take this that I am gainst safety or laws, but there needs to be a sensible approach to laws, how fast someone can put a life jacket on is NOT a law and should not be ever (well I reckon) actually having the gear and having it in serviceable order is OK to enforce.

Apollo
13-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Most of my offshore fishing is with Mark (trymyluck) and he has a rule about wearing lifejackets when crossing a bar or it is rough. We both have inflatables, so it is no issue or uncomfortable. I know that whenever someone else comes aboard, he runs right through the safety drill with them including radio, epirb, lifejackets, etc and their use. He is safety conscious, so I am always happy to go out with him as a skipper.

Steve

Noelm
13-12-2010, 08:52 AM
I agree, as I said i am not against safety in any way, but there comes a time when WE need to be responsible for ourselves.

tigermullet
13-12-2010, 09:36 AM
"So I pose the question that maybe it’s time when the Water Police check you have jackets on board, they also check your ability to put them on in 60 seconds or less. If you fail, then a $100 fine per person!!"

And people wonder why I hate rescue organizations. They should stick to their knitting and not come up with yet another way of extracting money from boaties. Worse, they are adding to the 'nanny state' syndrome. What a bunch of whimps we are becoming. Please remember that water is not out to get you - it's not an enemy. How come we are so frightened?

Skusto
13-12-2010, 10:21 AM
You know I’m all about EDUCATION, but after today, I have to ask what more do we have to do to get skippers have some BASIC skills of responsibility.

Three crew including the skipper were asked to don their lifejackets on before their boat was put under tow for about an hour.

While rescue crew stood on the rain soaked rear deck, for at least 5 minutes, they watched with great concern of the aerobics and contortion act each person including the skipper performed to eventually don their jackets on.

There is no way they would succeed if the vessel was sinking or a good wave flipped the boat and they ended up over board.

So I pose the question that maybe it’s time when the Water Police check you have jackets on board, they also check your ability to put them on in 60 seconds or less. If you fail, then a $100 fine per person!!

So please, do some practise before you go out next time with all your passengers..

sounds like govt control gone mad

finga
13-12-2010, 10:38 AM
sounds like govt control gone mad
Just imagine the money they'd make though.
Oh crap. I shouldn't have said that. It'll be on for sure now :P

Skusto
13-12-2010, 10:46 AM
shh dont tell anna she will take this one up for sure;)

deckie
13-12-2010, 11:07 AM
No.

Hell No

samson
13-12-2010, 11:31 AM
you guys had a look at the new laws for jackets in nsw that came in last month, all people in boats under 4.8m have to wear jackets and all boats under 8m fishing at night and offshore in open waters now have to wear jackets at all times except day time, i think thats what it was but if fishing nsw you boys better check because it looks like jackets are about to be pretty much compolsury across the board.

finga
13-12-2010, 11:58 AM
you guys had a look at the new laws for jackets in nsw that came in last month, all people in boats under 4.8m have to wear jackets and all boats under 8m fishing at night and offshore in open waters now have to wear jackets at all times except day time, i think thats what it was but if fishing nsw you boys better check because it looks like jackets are about to be pretty much compolsury across the board.
Here are the new rules for NSW.
Check to be sure your right.
http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/campaigns/lifejacket.html

But in summation here's some of the rules for NSW

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/images/campaign/lifejacket_table.gif

Skusto
13-12-2010, 12:11 PM
i must admit it makes sense to have jackets on under way .if you are thrown into the water at speed you would have a better chance of surviral.

cormorant
13-12-2010, 12:33 PM
i must admit it makes sense to have jackets on under way .if you are thrown into the water at speed you would have a better chance of surviral.

So would not going on the water

Educate the dumb irrisponsible people don't penalise the rest of us with new rules and fines when we have been doing it without incident for 50 years. Part of boat ownership is knowing your boat and its limits.

How about we have full harness in your car and extra rollcage- it would save lives. Fence the beaches

When there is more than one person on board and we can be talking about a 2.5m beam 24 foot cat with 700mm high sides it all gets a bit silly and should be at the captains discretion on weather etc. There is a huge difference in boat design . Should only be over 10 knots as we have guests on the boat and move between spots for lunch etc and have suitable life rings and throwing lines. Same goes for 12 year olds. fair dinkum they can outswim me every day.

Enclosed water can be up the stream and less than 20 feet from shore.

When was the last time someone fell overboard from your boat?. When was the last time you could beat a 12 yo swimming or floating or treading water.

Be nice of they allowed a bit of common sense. So the 12yo pulls off jacket , goes for a swim then when he hops on board he has to put the jacket back on??

Life jackets don't solve everything but it will bring in revenue and continious revenue from inflatable service - wnder why these laws came in. Keeps people in government employed I guess

Skusto
13-12-2010, 12:43 PM

Educate the dumb irrisponsible people don't penalise the rest of us with new rules and fines when we have been doing it without incident for 50 years. Part of boat ownership is knowing your boat and its limits.

How about we have full harness in your car and extra rollcage- it would save lives. Fence the beaches

When there is more than one person on board and we can be talking about a 2.5m beam 24 foot cat with 700mm high sides it all gets a bit sily and should be at the captains discretion on weather etc. There is a huge difference in boat design . Should only be over 10 knots as we have guests on the boat and move between spots for lunch etc and have suitable life rings and throwing lines. Same goes for 12 year olds. fair dinkum they can outswim me every day.

Enclosed water can be up the stream and less than 20 feet from shore.

When was the last time someone fell overboard from your boat?. When was the last time you could beat a 12 yo swimming or floatin or treading water.

Be nice of they allowed a bit of common sense. So teh 12yo pulls off jacket , goes for a swim then when he hops on board he has to put the jacket back on??

Life jackets don't solve everything but it will bring in revenue and continious revenue from inflatable service - wnder why these laws came in. Keeps people in government employed I guess

yes i agree revenue is now the key word and all our past time pleasures will be taxed to the hilt.

Razgo-
13-12-2010, 12:50 PM
"So I pose the question that maybe it’s time when the Water Police check you have jackets on board, they also check your ability to put them on in 60 seconds or less. If you fail, then a $100 fine per person!!"

And people wonder why I hate rescue organizations. They should stick to their knitting and not come up with yet another way of extracting money from boaties. Worse, they are adding to the 'nanny state' syndrome. What a bunch of whimps we are becoming. Please remember that water is not out to get you - it's not an enemy. How come we are so frightened?

Have to agree 100% on that one. we are all sick of the nanny state as it is now without introducing even more and more and more laws........

I am all for safety and education on safety but don't need it rammed down my throat. out boating and having to do a life jacket dance to prove i can put one on? jeez i can just image how that will get abused by law officers out for a bit of entertainment for the day :)

scuttlebutt
13-12-2010, 12:54 PM
We've got enough fines in today's society.

I'm all for lifejackets but anyone can have a bad day. I'd prefer to have the authorities require a boaty to just demonstrate that they can put their lifejacket on. I'm sure any safety advice could be given in the process. PR + education.

Camhawk88
13-12-2010, 12:55 PM

Good point Cormorant

It's no wonder the human race is starting to go down hill. As has been mentioned by a few respondants here, the responsibility of ensuring your own safety is being taken away to the point where common sense is out the door, you only do something to avoid a fine.
I am certain the gene pool is becoming a swampy quagmire of idiots and people who have the intellectual capacity of a kumara as the forces of natural selection are being diluted by more and more rules, regulations and warning stickers to save ourselves from ourselves.
Run with sissors, poke forks in electrical sockets, drive pissed, shake vending machines, go boating in 30kn with no safety gear, do what you want. This is what the government should be preaching as if you are silly enough to do these things on your own accord then the world would be better without such people breeding (which incidentily would wipe out half the current government). This is natures way of weeding out the idiots and maintaing a stronger genetic line- unfortunately we are thwarting nature on this one too.

Jeremy
13-12-2010, 01:37 PM
I would have declined the tow if forced to wear a lifejacket :o

Current legislation does not require me to wear a jacket when at sea in my boat and I have never been asked to wear a jacket when I have required assistance in the past.

We have enough rules and regulations as it is without do-gooders wanting more

marty666
13-12-2010, 05:23 PM
if it si such a big deal about getting life jackets on fast why dont they make good life jackets affordable, i have the el cheapos and i will be buying 2 inflatables for when the missus and I go offshore but it is stopping me go off shore as they are so dam expensive for good decent ones and the cheap ones are just so crap, maybe the goverment should get on board and discount 2 jackets per regoed boat as a preventative rather than just making it some one elses problem

bassfan
13-12-2010, 07:26 PM

I would have to rate this as the dumbest proposal I have ever read on Ausfish over the past few years. Not only would it be a nightmare to enforce, but a totally unreasonable requirement to put onto people. If some boaties are incapable of using their safety gear properly why make the majority that do have commonsense jump through stupid bureaucratic hoops? The scary thing is that stupid ideas like this one are often taken up by dumbarse politicians who know nothing about boating as has recently happened in NSW, but not quite to this extreme...::) I'm surprised you even get out of bed in the morning because there is always the danger you might stub your toe opening the door:P

bassfan

nigelr
13-12-2010, 07:33 PM
I actually had an incident where I was thrown out of my boat and, even though I had sustained a 20-stitch gash to the head 'on exit', I truly believe I would have broken my neck on impact with the water, had I been wearing a lifejacket.
For the simple reason that I instinctively dived below the surface as I landed.
40 years of surfing experience, confident surf swimmer, automatic response to the situation.
Really would not want to attempt a headlong instinctive dive with a PFD1 on.
Other side of the coin however; had the blow that caused the gash rendered me unconscious, I would now be dead and my wife would be without a husband and my kids and grandkids without a dad and pop.
You be the judge; I wear my jacket every time I cross the bar, and so do my passengers whether they like it or not.
Don't need the fine to motivate me.
Cheers.

PinHead
13-12-2010, 07:58 PM
those NSW laws are a joke..in most instance you have an option of pfd 1, 2 or 3..what a farce..just some fund raising.

but Nigel..with a self inflating jacket all would be good.

finga
13-12-2010, 07:59 PM
You know, there's something extremely amiss in this great nation.
All levels of government are placing more and more restrictions, regulations and laws upon us but they cannot regulate what banks do (ie interest rates and fees and charges) or regulate the price fuel companies sell fuel for.
We all know were been ripped off BUT they choose to do didly squat about it.
But they want to make us wear a life-jacket at all times and from my interpretation to the flier I posted above you need a life-jacket if you ride a surf ski more then 400m from the shore.
What about surfy dudes?? Are they included.
What about kids in the creek with the blow up rubber ducky air mat or inner tube??
Soon none of us will be able to afford to go fishing.

fisho64
13-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Look at NSW rules-why dont surfers have to wear a PFD1? Of course I know why but what about others in the surf-wavesailers etc, same dangers.
What about sleeping on the deck of a boat at sea?
What about when you go diving at sea and take your jacket of to put gear on and hitler rolls up at that moment?

Education-just like drinking driving (your a bloody idiot).

Kids should wear them of course. But soon you will have to fill out a logbook to feed your kids takeaways and only once per week etc etc or its child abuse.

regarding the request from the Searescue when towing, myself I would comply as there is a heightened risk during this sort operation. And from their point of view if they are instructing you to "attach tow etc etc" and you fall over and are hurt, its only a matter of time til some F-wit sues "cos THEY told me to do it"

Lovey80
13-12-2010, 09:46 PM
The thread starter should be fined for asking such a question. Most ridiculous serious question I have ever seen on this forum. Got enough bites yet? Nanny state is a perfect response. Regulate the masses to tame the few. Just like the gun laws, only thing they have done is restrict the law abiding citizens that didn't need the regulation.

Almako
13-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Not sure who has and hasn't done their "Elements of shipboard safety Course" or Bill Coreton's "Bar Crossing Course", but in my opinion the pathetic boat license course we do currently is not worth a pinch of sh*t, you learn absolutely nothing.

In my opinion when new people go for their licenses they should be doing indepth courses like Bill Coretons and Elements of shipboard safety.
You learn so much about boat setup, life jackets, survival at sea etc etc.
Those guys who have done the Elements of shipboard safety especially will understand what i'm talking about.

No more fines, and besides how often do we actually get pulled over on the water. Pretty hard to police that one i'd say.

Noelm
14-12-2010, 07:19 AM
getting a boat license in NSW is even easier than QLD, plenty of clubs around the place just do a couple of hours "course" and you get your license at the end, no test, no practical, nothing, the Maritime are not much better, a simple multi choice 'quiz" and your off. As I said way way back, safety is one thing, but an over bareing Government, over run by ninnies making up useless rules every day is not the way to make us "safe", I realise plenty need saving from themselves, but holy crap, use some common sense.

Defore
14-12-2010, 08:56 AM
I actually had an incident where I was thrown out of my boat and, even though I had sustained a 20-stitch gash to the head 'on exit', I truly believe I would have broken my neck on impact with the water, had I been wearing a lifejacket.
For the simple reason that I instinctively dived below the surface as I landed.
40 years of surfing experience, confident surf swimmer, automatic response to the situation.
Really would not want to attempt a headlong instinctive dive with a PFD1 on.
Other side of the coin however; had the blow that caused the gash rendered me unconscious, I would now be dead and my wife would be without a husband and my kids and grandkids without a dad and pop.
You be the judge; I wear my jacket every time I cross the bar, and so do my passengers whether they like it or not.
Don't need the fine to motivate me.
Cheers.

nigelr I think you would have been safer wearing the jacket. It is very doubtful that you would have broken your neck with a correctly fitted lifejacket, you may have hurt your shoulder as the jacket tried to resist going under water. I have done a high dive into water while wearing a jacket (not on purpose) and the worse that happened was the penertration depth into the water was a lot less and this jarred my shoulder. The hit to your head was the real danger, that was one mighty gash and you are lucky you remained conscious. :o

I think people should be responsible for their own actions and the govt should back off, but how many everyday boaties have tried to put on their jackets, instead of just having them on the boat because they have to?
I think every person who goes on a boat should have to try and put on a jacket while in water too deep to stand up. Most people would have no idea how difficult it can be.

Ian

trueblue
14-12-2010, 09:14 AM
don't go working in 'cold water' areas, there you have to be able to put on a full immersion suit in 60 seconds.................., on demand, any time, for drills - and lose your job if you fail

cormorant
14-12-2010, 10:33 AM
those NSW laws are a joke..in most instance you have an option of pfd 1, 2 or 3..what a farce..just some fund raising.

but Nigel..with a self inflating jacket all would be good.

I love the pdf3 option. So if you do hit your head you end up floating face down. So OK they find your body faster. To allow non auto jackets - laughable. If it doesn't inflate your stuffed unless conscious and able to pump it up by mouth and if it hasn't goat a hole in it's one chamber.

Something everyone should be aware of that when we have tested jackets and PDF1 is supposed to turn you over all I can say is you will want a bloody deep breath and swells going in the right direction. Some jackets me and mates have jumped overboard in man overboard drills / trials are truely pathetic. Mae west - your kidding.

If you choose the cheap options and crap I hope you get rescued fast aren't injured and are conscious

Do yourself a favour and get your jacket wet next time you are out and try and put it on in the water and then see if it will turn you over. See how bad it cuts around the neck and armpits and how it directs water into your mouth with any swell. Makes you buy better ones trust meit is not all about price as some expensive ones are crap.

That is a impressive gash. Must have been travelling so fast your hair fell out;D. How the hell did it happen.?

TimiBoy
14-12-2010, 10:49 AM
...people should be responsible for their own actions and the govt should back off, but how many everyday boaties have tried to put on their jackets, instead of just having them on the boat because they have to?
I think every person who goes on a boat should have to try and put on a jacket while in water too deep to stand up. Most people would have no idea how difficult it can be.

Too right. I have a word for folks who don't take care of safety at sea. Well, two words, actually.

Natural Selection.

At what point are we going to say, "No, it's time for people to be responsible for their own outcomes." The time for us to say that is long past. All we are asking for by implementing Laws to safeguard every tiny element of life is the feeding of an enormous, money guzzling bureaucratic mechanism, full of dimwits whose sole goal in life is to regulate our lives in order to justify their jobs.

While I greatly respect the VMR, ENOUGH ALREADY! If some guy wants to drown, let him drown!!!

Tim

frankgrimes
14-12-2010, 11:07 AM
If you choose the cheap options and crap I hope you get rescued fast aren't injured and are conscious

Do yourself a favour and get your jacket wet next time you are out and try and put it on in the water and then see if it will turn you over. See how bad it cuts around the neck and armpits and how it directs water into your mouth with any swell. Makes you buy better ones trust meit is not all about price as some expensive ones are crap.

What jacket brand(s) do you recommend?

Def. going to replace the el-cheapo's that came with my boat now.

Mick

finga
14-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Really sad thing is the people these laws are made to protect will be the ones who do not follow them and drown anyways.

nigelr
14-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Hit by flying 240l esky cormorant........nah hair was long gone before then!
Cheers.

bassfan
15-12-2010, 07:31 PM
To allow non auto jackets - laughable. If it doesn't inflate your stuffed unless conscious and able to pump it up by mouth and if it hasn't goat a hole in it's one chamber.

Cormorant you're a little misinformed, as the legal inflatable PFDs need to have the CO2 cylinder. They're not necessarily self inflating (auto) so no good if you're unconscious, but they do not require oral inflation, just pull the toggle & release the CO2.

thylacene
15-12-2010, 09:35 PM
I hold some strong beliefs against increased regulation, and the inevitable subjectivity that those in a position of authority seem to drift towards either as a power trip or frustration from continually dealing with numpties.

If you want a form of regulation, then an IQ and aptitude test prior to being able to buy or board a boat sounds much better option. There is no need to police it, just get the declaration signed that says they know what they are doing and understand the risks, and in doing so absolve anyone else from responsibility for their personal risk management.

Mother nature will take care of the rest. It's called natural selection, and if you analyse the outcome objectively, there is no real loss.

There are risks associated with almost every activity that humans undertake, some choose to manage them, other don't. There is only one cure for stupidity, and it is terminal, with an immediate increase in the global mean IQ.

As a skipper, everyone gets a choice, wear the jacket while underway or wait for us to return at the wharf once we're finished. Jackets stay out where they are easily accessible. A quick run through on safety gear, where it is, what it does, how to use it and when to use it. It's not rocket science.

I cannot see how putting in place a mechanism that would allow a bureaucrat on a power trip to stick his hand in my pocket is going to make my world a better place.

cormorant
16-12-2010, 01:25 AM
Cormorant you're a little misinformed, as the legal inflatable PFDs need to have the CO2 cylinder. They're not necessarily self inflating (auto) so no good if you're unconscious, but they do not require oral inflation, just pull the toggle & release the CO2.

My point was that you are unconcious you may as well be wearing a scarf around you neck as a non auto inflate jacket and I am surprised they allow them as they aren't really a jacket unless inflated. .

CO2 cylinders fail, so do bladders so do firing pins. If they don't go off ????? If your unconcious????

The better industrial jackets have dual cylinders and dual bladders. They aren't cheap and cost even more to service.

ozscott
16-12-2010, 05:47 AM
My point was that you are unconcious you may as well be wearing a scarf around you neck as a non auto inflate jacket and I am surprised they allow them as they aren't really a jacket unless inflated. .

CO2 cylinders fail, so do bladders so do firing pins. If they don't go off ????? If your unconcious????

The better industrial jackets have dual cylinders and dual bladders. They aren't cheap and cost even more to service.

Cormorant, i dont really trust the auto's enough to wear them crossing a bar or when I know things are dangerous - for that I have a HutchWilco normal one. But I use the autoinflate PFD any other time I am on the boat, fishing etc cause it gives me a lot more protection than none (and I would not be wearing my bulky one fishing).

Cheers

finga
16-12-2010, 08:33 AM
You know the sad bit about the mandatory wearing of jackets in NSW??
Not many people know about it.
The general populous has no idea what so ever about it.
There has been no telly coverage nor ads in newspapers from what I hear.

My dad will find out when he get's a new inflatable for his birthday on the 20th.

Where is the duty of care to inform the population of these new regulations from those who make these decisions??

gr hilly
16-12-2010, 09:10 AM
shh dont tell anna she will take this one up for sure;)

she has already spent more chips than any other sheila in qld,she has sold more of this state in 3 yrs than any one in the last 20 im pleased she does'nt buy my groceries but because of her they cost me more anyway,she could ware 6 life jackets at the next election and she would still sink.
Cheers,Hilly

deckie
16-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Nothing worse than inquiries after accidents. No such thing as an accident anymore coz there must be someone to blame..and if there isnt they will always find someone.
So when the inquiry findings come out what does one do as a minister for stupidity or basic beaurocrat ? There are recommendations made which will always err on the side of caution under that old favorite banner of the nanny state and brain dead.. "if it saves just one life it will all be worth it". So to make sure u arnt criticised for wasting public money on just another inquiry u need to implement at least one of the recommendations...and when another country or another state already has it then it doesnt take longer than 30 secs to figure out which bits. The only thing left is to run it past a few old party heads to make sure it wont cost votes and there's your new lifejacket rule. Plenty of time left in the day to check out some porn on the parliamentary computer.

Best thing to do next time some poor bugga gets fried in an onboard fuel fire is to say no to the calls for an inquiry...or we'll be doing courses with the CFA, buying new $175 10kg extinguishers for tinnies and $80 fire blankets in the subfloor tanks.

Got vivid memories of the inquiry into NSW fish stocks about 10 yrs ago...one of the main findings was that rec boaties had very little impact.... but the only thing that came from it was the gov't introducing a recreational fishing license/tax. Sweep it away but get some revenue from it if u can.

spelchek
16-12-2010, 09:41 AM
So cormorant - you seem to have more actual, hands-on experience with PFD's than anyone else here - what brands/models of inflatable pfd do you recommend?

bassfan
16-12-2010, 10:17 AM

My dad will find out when he get's a new inflatable for his birthday on the 20th.

Where is the duty of care to inform the population of these new regulations from those who make these decisions??

The new PFD laws in NSW came into effect from Nov 1st 2010 and the first 12 months is to be educational rather than enforcement, but I agree with you the minimal publicity, particularly leading up to these changes where people could actually have had their say before it became law, has been piss poor to say the least...! Another example of the corrupt NSW government IMHO.

bassfan

goat boy
16-12-2010, 01:52 PM

I guess it's that old adage that it's up to you as the boatie to be up on all the rules, all the time? pretty stupid and I agree with you.
Dunno about other places but the maritime safety boats have been out alot on the Tweed the last 4 weeks or so, I assume they're pulling ppl over and informing them of this stupid ruling.

QF3 MROCP
22-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Boat safety call after drowning

December 22, 2010 10:37:00

A Tasmanian coroner has found the drowning of a woman in February highlights the need for increased education about safety equipment on boats.

Coroner Stephen Carey found the 59 year old woman drowned at Beer Barrel beach at St Helens after the boat she was in capsized and she did not inflate her manual life jacket.

Mr Carey said the woman received two head injuries when her boat overturned and these may have caused confusion or unconsciousness, leaving her unable to use the jacket.

Peter Hopkins from Marine and Safety Tasmania says manual life jackets are safe but people need to know how to use them.

"It's the same with all sorts of safety gear whether it be a flare, whether it be a fire extinguisher or an EPIRB or indeed life jackets," he said.

"People have to know how this particular gear works, and that comes from point of retail right through to skippers and the people themselves."

ABC News Story (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/22/3099127.htm?site=idx-tas)

Skusto
22-12-2010, 04:00 PM
just wondering how safe manual jackets can be if you hit your head while going into the water:-[

peterbo3
22-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Shit happens. Lots of people wearing seatbelts die in vehicles fitted with airbags.
Just stay at home with the doors locked if you are really worried.....................

Just sayin....................... ::)::);D;D

marty666
22-12-2010, 04:46 PM
just wondering how safe manual jackets can be if you hit your head while going into the water:-[

At the end of the day it does not matter weather you have a manual jacket or not if it is not on then it is not going to make a difference weather you have a manual or cheapies. Apart from bar crossing i would be interested on the number of people that wear jackets all the time, maybe a poll started.

Kevin Garrett
22-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Peter I Mostly go along with the things u write but sometimes I do not . But never Put VMR Groups Down I know for a fact they do not sit around knitting & put every thing on the line when someone needs help they never ask if the people like or dislike VMR they just get out & try their best To all VMR Staff Have A Safe Christmas & New Year Cobia Kev

peterbo3
22-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Peter I Mostly go along with the things u write but sometimes I do not . But never Put VMR Groups Down I know for a fact they do not sit around knitting & put every thing on the line when someone needs help they never ask if the people like or dislike VMR they just get out & try their best To all VMR Staff Have A Safe Christmas & New Year Cobia Kev

Kevin, if you are referring to me in the above post you are barking up the wrong tree. I am a member of Redcliffe Coast Guard & my post had zip to do with any Rescue group. It was a general observation on the reality of life & the inability of man to be prepared for every possible situation that may arise.:o:o

Almako
22-12-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm not sure its about sitting at home with the doors locked, thats rediculous.
It's amazing though how some people just dont get it. Just look at how many people get caught drink driving every weekend. Those people are angry or upset they got caught, completely missing the point, that they could kill others and effect many lives including their own. Point is have your safety gear up to scratch and know how to use it. Reducing the risk whilst your out doors.

finga
23-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Wearing of auto inflating jackets isn't the entire answer either.
How many people have been trapped in hulls because of these?

If your times up, it's up no matter what safety precaution you take.
No system or requirement will cater for all emergencies.

Kevin Garrett
23-12-2010, 07:07 AM
Kevin, if you are referring to me in the above post you are barking up the wrong tree. I am a member of Redcliffe Coast Guard & my post had zip to do with any Rescue group. It was a general observation on the reality of life & the inability of man to be prepared for every possible situation that may arise.:o:o

Peterbo3 I was not Referring to you It was in response to another post where the person refered to VMR members sitting around knitting & that he hated rescue groups That was so far away from the truth I had to respond as I was a member of QF3 For Over 15 years & I know what goes on in Rescue Groups
Stay Safe
Cobia Kev

tigermullet
23-12-2010, 09:21 AM
That was me. "Sticking to your their knitting", is a short way of saying they should be concentrating on the job at hand and not setting themselves up as an authority able to order ridiculous tests.

Haven't you come across the expression before this?

Freedom would be better served if they were sitting around in a knitting circle instead of coming up with weird ideas to increase their sense of self importance.

Kevin Garrett
24-12-2010, 10:42 AM
That was me. "Sticking to your their knitting", is a short way of saying they should be concentrating on the job at hand and not setting themselves up as an authority able to order ridiculous tests.

Haven't you come across the expression before this?

Freedom would be better served if they were sitting around in a knitting circle instead of coming up with weird ideas to increase their sense of self importance.

I Will Stick By My Original Post As I Said I do Not Agree with every thing He said BUT If You Don't like VMR Thats OK Keep it to Your Self I say no More
Cobia Kev

tigermullet
24-12-2010, 01:21 PM
I Will Stick By My Original Post As I Said I do Not Agree with every thing He said BUT If You Don't like VMR Thats OK Keep it to Your Self I say no More
Cobia Kev

Seeing it's Christmas with good will to all etc., and negative comments not appreciated, I wish all VMR and Air Sea Rescue chappies a merry Christmas.