PDA

View Full Version : Roller/winch system for canal front house.

ortho85
12-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Hi,

I've got a Stacer runabout, 4.89m, with a 70hp Johnson. We've just bought a place in Noosa Waters, on the canal, which has a flat concrete frontage to the water, with about a 600mm drop.
The water's about 600mm deep at the edge, and shelves quickly.
I want to put some sort of retrieval system in so I can winch the boat up occasionally. Any suggestions?

Sorry if it's been covered before, but I don't know what the real name I need to Google for such a system!

Cheers.

Chimo
12-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi O-85

If the retaining walls are similar to the Gold Coast even tho the wall is your responsibility to repair if it fails you are not allowed to attach anything directly to it.

So, if you were to construct a ramp with the low end supported by 2 or more plastic 200 lt drums, the top end, with its hinge would need to be attached to piles that you construct on your land inside the retaining wall. I've seen such a ramp with centre and side rollers used to haul out boats like yours.

You would need to continue the ramp up on your property; with a flexible link between the ramp and the floating bit.

Also you will need a two way winch so you can lower rather than just let the boat drop back into the canal. I have an electric winch ex Aldi that works fine to haul out but was useless returning the boat to the drink so I just use a hand winch both up and down now.

Why don't you just get an Air Berth and leave the boat on that? There was a big one on here that would carry a couple of your boats but with the addition of a few timber "skids" a big berth would take care of the boat till you get a bigger one (which we all do eventually)

Have fun

Cheers
Chimo

tunaticer
12-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Cheapest system is two lengths of alloy rhs 75x50 with 50mm black poly pipe screwed to the top of it. anchor each end and depending on length, once or twice in the middle. Space these apart to sit just inside two of the hull chines to keep the boat tracking these rails. A simple boat winch on a post at the top will retrieve it easily. Launching is simple as the poly pipe does not grab the tinny.
I have seen a guy reverse the winch to clip to his foredeck so he does not leave the boat for launch or retrieve.
Works fine for a standard tinny of about 400kgs total weight.
I don't know how heavy your boat would be but the basic concept could apply.

ortho85
12-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Chimo - I'll check the rules re the wall. You're probably right about an Air Berth - and certainly right about the inevitable bigger boat. But then, anyone quoting Dave Barry must know their stuff!
Cheers

cormorant
12-12-2010, 02:56 PM
If there is water depth a little folding hiab crane could be within your properly on a cement pad. Pay no extra fees if they charge up there for anything that touches the water. Bloke up the road uses a forklift with a jib and counter weight.

If you are allowed to place something on the mud / sand these work well. and there is many companies selling them with winch post etc.

http://www.modulardockingsystems.com.au/applications.html#nogo

Chimo
13-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi Cormorant

That modular stuff is good but it so very expensive...........

C
C