PDA

View Full Version : Best fishing in the Top End?

Matfish
07-12-2010, 08:17 AM
I am plannign a once in a life fishing time trip with my two brothers and Dad to the Top End (Kimberley or Darwin) .

We are from Tassie and want to catch Barra, GT's etc.

I am considering Kimberley Coastal Camp, Melville Lodge or One Tree Beach (Robert Vaughn).

Does anyone have any receommendation on which is the best place to go fishing all day every day for a week. It could be one of the above perhaps or somewhere else that I dont know about.

Also, when is the best time?

Thanks for your help.

wamjam
07-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Kalumburu WA by far !!!. I don't know if there is any giudes in the area . We only stayed two nights at McGowans Island camp ground and had a half day fishing on a charter . We travelled out ten k's started trolling for less than 100 mtrs and double hook up , Spaniard and a GT both over a meter . This went on for 3 hours , then we bottom bashed for an hour, first drop about 60cm golden snapper ( fingermark) non stop ,saddle back, GT's, one bloke got a black jew around 4 ft.
Best fun you can have fully clothed.

Scott

Matfish
07-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Can you catch Barra there?

wamjam
07-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Yep . What are your plans ? . fly in type guided holiday?. There is a fishing lodge that is only accessed by boat or plain in Port Warrender ,west of Kulumbaru. http://www.kimberleycoastalcamp.com.au/
I have not been to this camp but I would imagine it would be awesome , we drove into the western side of the bay across from it via the very rugged Mitchell Falls track.
Only using a 10 ft punt and lecky we cleaned up on small GT's ,cod , fingermark, smashed four or five times by something and a nice 81cm barra , all with in a km of where we put the tinny in. Only camped two nights as it was a bit rough for the women and the young fella, If I had my way I would still be there .;D
So IMO this fishing camp would be an excellent destination for a once in a life time trip.
Will be exy!!!.
We were there in june , if you want to catch mainly barra , a bit later would be better if you can handle the heat. June july for the pelagic's.
Do a bit of reseach and let us know what you come up with.;) If this suits.

Scott

Jarrah Jack
08-12-2010, 12:53 PM
As Wammy has indicated there are the exy fly in fly out lodges scattered around the top end. I would be seriously considering Weipa with Dave Donald as a guide. The run off would be the best time which is around April May depending on the extent of the wet. Dave is cheaper by a long way than the lodges and will put you onto heaps of fish.

robersl
08-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Hi Give Mike a ring at (fishthetopend) on 0419031805 he does bookings for a lot of the guides out of Darwin you will need to know roughly when you want to go so he can tell you the best places and styles of fishing that are available at that time of year ,he is very helpful i have used him about 5 times you can also visit his website spelt as above in google to see what trips he can organise there is everything from day trips to motherships ect on the runoff even mudcrabbing and pelagics

Regards Shane

bluefin59
08-12-2010, 05:01 PM
I did a trip with darwin barra base 2 years ago and it was unreal ,they arnt cheap but a great time was had for 5 days all food, accomidtation ,tackle actually everything from when you arrive at darwin airport till you get on the plane to go home .Even your fish frozen and packed in a flight box for the journey home ,these guys run a great operation and it is something i will do again with the wife in tow . I took $500 for spending money on extras for the 5 days and only spent $100 on a few beers . I have a post here somewhere called Darwin Barra Base ,use the search function and go to there wab site as well . We caught all sorts of fish and he also has a deal now where you can stay on the barra boatel on the finess instead of travelling back to dundee every day ,he also does less amount of days if you want . It was the trip of a lifetime and all catered for have a look i think it might be up your ally ...matt

Squidlet
08-12-2010, 07:37 PM
It's good fishn up here but don't expect to clean up all day everyday,if you do it will only be small rats. As said in another response tha runoff is when you will get ya better numbers and a realy good chance of geting tha meter fish,shady camp,daily all offer great runoff fishing base ya trip around the tides,most of the guides should help ya out their!

Enjoy the NT!!!!

ejackulate
10-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Jarrah Jack I am pretty sure that Dave Donald is not guiding full time any more out of Weipa ,I agree he is the best guide money can buy if you can still get him though.

Matfish the run off period is definately your best shot at a metre barra if that is what you want. If you are gonna pay big bucks to stay at a lodge i would also check out Cape Don and Seven spirit bay and even ETs lodge on Groute Island ,all about similar money and all fishing heaven mate sounds like a good trip enjoy

Pazz01
10-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Jarrah Jack I am pretty sure that Dave Donald is not guiding full time any more out of Weipa ,I agree he is the best guide money can buy if you can still get him though.

Matfish the run off period is definately your best shot at a metre barra if that is what you want. If you are gonna pay big bucks to stay at a lodge i would also check out Cape Don and Seven spirit bay and even ETs lodge on Groute Island ,all about similar money and all fishing heaven mate sounds like a good trip enjoy

I think Dave is guiding again... I think his new name is Barra Dave or something similar.

Pazz

ejackulate
10-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I happily stand corrected. Dave is a guru ,i learned more in one day with him than in a year by myself in my tinny.

Jarrah Jack
10-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Can't agree more with that view Ejack and Pazz.. This could be him http://www.##############.au/weipa.htm.
As far as the thread is concerned it looks like there are a number of options that will get onto heaps of fish. It all depends on the budget.

Hey didn't come up, must be naughty..You only have to google the barra Dave name to find something.;)

Squidlet
10-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Yeah tha runoff is good but its f@#$n crowded fishing ay !

popgun19
11-12-2010, 12:35 AM
if fishing in NT 5 star recomendation for steve from "I'll take ya fishing" google this for his details. Mike from fishing the top end put me onto him.

cheers,
Brian

robersl
15-12-2010, 07:53 PM
hi popgun
Had a fish at lake monduran a few weeks ago he towed his boat down to fish the barra dams and then head to south oz for xmas great guy is mike and very helpful
shane

gunna
16-12-2010, 07:24 PM
I can't comment on the Kimberleys but about ten years back I fished Melville with two others for two and a half days. We caught over 200 fish and and 14 different species.