PDA

View Full Version : Help fishing Somerset Dam...

bass-pirate
05-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Hey there,

I made my way out to Somerset for the first time last Saturday and really love the dam, i didnt catch anything but wasnt really expecting too much. Went out again yesterday and managed 4 little rats but that was trolling. Basically i have tryed fishing schools on my sounder out from pelican point, tryed fishing the hump, tryed fishing out from the spit, tryed the edges up past kirkleigh and also the edges around bay 13. I have used little max blades, mask vibes, Tn's, Sliders, spinnerbaits and even deep Squirrels. My question is do they school up around this time of year and through out summer like they do in winter or is fishing the edges a better idea? If so which edges have been known to go alright for you guys? Are there other techniques that would be best around this time of year? I am not the biggest fan of trolling and would much prefer to cast, any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated as i dont really know much about this dam at all, i have tryed reading a few articles by qfm but nothing has really helped.

Regards, Dave

Gordie
06-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Mate, I fish the top end and rarely get to the areas you went to, but some of the boys will come on and give you some tips I am sure.

I love spinner baits as they work well where I go, so bounce them down off those rocky points, feel the bottom. Also drop them down beside some standing trees, you can wake up bass down there.

Take some spares with you for as I was told, that if you are not loosing lures you are not fishing properly. (Going close, taking risks)

Good luck.

Gordon

darylive
06-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Dave,

Spinner baits to the edges, standing timber, if the sun is bright go the shadows.

You shouldn't loose spinner baits they are pretty snag proof. Overcast or low light small poppers or walkers over the weed beds. Find a weed bed in the shade and run a blade along the edges or lob a spinner bait into a hole let it sink a bit and bring it back on a steady retreive. Sliders into the weeds rigged weedless and a slow retrieve are also worth a go.

If you find fish on the sounder in the clear go a rattln spot or Mat frazers MF 40 or 50s, jackals, blades etc etc.

Search somerset on here and you will find heaps of info. In the Warmer weather don't be affraid to head up stream in to some of the back waters.

bass-pirate
07-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the advice, i think im just going to have to get out there and fish it regularly. There is no substitute for time spent on the water as we all know. Still havent cracked 50 with 49 to the fork being my pb and that was at moogerah years ago lol. I think if im going to have any chance somerset is the dam to do it!

Regards, Dave